protect our waterways - carp/tilly spots

gengen0804

hi guys

i'm starting this thread in order that anyone with the will to get rid of carp and tillies on this site can contribute by posting up spots where those two species have been spotted. In doing so, you are allowing more pressure on carp and tilly population and enabling motivated anglers to clean up the pests!

as we all know carp and tillies are extremely adaptable and highly productive noxious fish species invading our rivers and creeks. creeks filled up with those mongrels are becoming muddy and unsuitable for local fish such as bass, yella and silver perch. now we need to stop them from damaging precious SEQ waterways by putting more and more fishing pressure on them and at the same time, reducing the pressure on local species.

the government's not doing their job as we probably all agreed as in noxious fish control for the million excuses/reasons. fish kill's not possible in connected creeks, biological control's posting more danger than good and introducing noxious fish to restaurant causing potantially further spread etc. However if every angler start NOW to fish for them and catch hundreds or thousands a week we are TOGETHER MAKING A DIFFERENCE.

Now please post up any sighting of those fish in this thread not only for local anglers with the will to clean up but also for reference of the local councils and DPI.

thanks for your contribution

gen

please include detailed location of spots/ bait/ lures/ fish species/ presence of local fish/ care to take to avoid hurting other wildlife etc in the posts so that we can all do our best to kill those noxious species without hurting others. also i advocate that we call leave those spots clean from fishing line/gear as we know they may post danger to birds and other wildlife.

I'll start with my spots

gould adams park on kingston road, kingston, QLD. sweet corn's so far the best bait. fishing on the two pontoons are very effective. park closes at 8 so daytime fishing is a must. fish species are carp and tillies, i've seen eels and bass caught so if you are chasing carp only, avoid using prawns or shrimps.

end of the underwood road heading towards underwood, there are loads of tillapia but please be careful not to hook the ducks in the pond. fish on the shelter right at the car park

I know this post is primarily aimed at SEQ waterways, however I'd like to name a few tilapia infected areas in Cairns, in case there is any other members up my way that like to do their bit:

# Clarkes creek at Earlville. Fish both up and downstream of the bridge on Ishmael road. Lots of jungle perch in there too which I personally always release, also freshwater jacks down towards where it joins Moody creek. Watch out as crocs like to get up in there a lot, I have seen two in there this year.

# The drain that runs off saltwater creek at Edge hill, all the way through North Cairns to Parramata Park. Absolutely diseased with tillys, but there is also the odd stray little barra, tarpon, & jungle perch in there. You can walk the entire length of it and sight cast to big fat ugly tillys, but wouldn't fish the park areas around Parramatta Park as sadly you are likely to get mugged- Parramatta park is nasty.

# Freshwater creek through Redlynch, Brinsmead, and Freshwater. Happily there seem to be far more natives like jungle perch and sleepy cod than tilly's in that creek.

Earthworms seem to work the best for me, but have also got them on bread and little SP's.

gould adams park on kingston road, kingston, QLD. sweet corn's so far the best bait.

this is our local spot too, i prefer the pontoon furthest and have done well on plain white bread. although been a bit quiet since the big rains.

I know this post is primarily aimed at SEQ waterways, however I'd like to name a few tilapia infected areas in Cairns, in case there is any other members up my way that like to do their bit:

# Clarkes creek at Earlville. Fish both up and downstream of the bridge on Ishmael road. Lots of jungle perch in there too which I personally always release, also freshwater jacks down towards where it joins Moody creek. Watch out as crocs like to get up in there a lot, I have seen two in there this year.

# The drain that runs off saltwater creek at Edge hill, all the way through North Cairns to Parramata Park. Absolutely diseased with tillys, but there is also the odd stray little barra, tarpon, & jungle perch in there. You can walk the entire length of it and sight cast to big fat ugly tillys, but wouldn't fish the park areas around Parramatta Park as sadly you are likely to get mugged- Parramatta park is nasty.

# Freshwater creek through Redlynch, Brinsmead, and Freshwater. Happily there seem to be far more natives like jungle perch and sleepy cod than tilly's in that creek.

Earthworms seem to work the best for me, but have also got them on bread and little SP's.

The lakes in the Botanical gardens are full of tillys to, but do not know if you are allowed to fish them.

all around the regents park area mate and i find they shut down in winter especially the tillies mate a social has been done at prp before with great success but i reckon in summer when they are more sctive i have found bread is by far better than sweet corn especially if they are surface feeding and prawns under a float for the tillies or unweighted or lightly weighted plastics grub style for the tillies as you can get it to flutter right in front of them and eventually get one to have a go. this is what i have found that works best over the last 4 or 5 years that i have been fishing in my local creek scrubby creek have pulled easy over 300 carp out and over a hundred tillies

thanks a lot mate yeah i do find tillies shutting down during the winter too. however carp seems to be feeding throughout the colder months.

any particular access to the regents park area mate I have drove around there before but couldn't seem to find good access to the waterways on my iphone google map.

theres a heap of bike/walk ways around the creeks in regents.

anyone else worried about what happens to all the monster tillies in Forest lake every time it floods over??? I counted over 300 tillies over 50cm in one walk around

• 3 months later...

Lots of big Tilapia with orange down their backs in the pond behind Bunnings Capalaba.

I have only caught turtles and perch/bass (photo attached for ID) And would appreciate any help or meet ups on a weekend to aid the culling. By the way all the turtles were released un-harmed

Baits used: Beach worms soaked in metho, prawns, raisin toast, dough (got a bit too pasty I think)

Rigs used: unweighted bits on size 12 long shank, suspended under small floats.

post-6445-144598711166_thumb.jpg

What is this?

post-6445-144598711176_thumb.jpg

I have seen tilapia with orange on them too. Are these the 'normal' type people catch?

Also, I presume freshwater turtles are protected and need to be returned to the water as carefully as possible? Is there any way to minimise the chance of catching them in the first place?

I have made a google maps of Tilapia sites that I have found on the AFO site and thought I'd share it to help anyone else interested in some culling.

/>http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid=215407036410034057581.0004b1845fc31eec2878d&msa=0&ll=-27.557591,153.233871&spn=0.277283,0.516701

If you have a gmail account and would like to contribute PM me, otherwise I will add any that I learn of.

Feel free to PM any that I haven't found on the site

Great Idea here guys, every one of the mongrels removed is a good thing!

I know of a couple of sites that are a bit smaller than the more well known ones, and are more for the southsiders;

Cleveland/raby bay. Ross creek, anywhere between the concrete spill at island street to the last bridge on shore street, depending on the tide and time of day. High tide get up to island street and cast net right onto the drop off, they sit here waiting for food to drop by. never had success on a hook, except for foul hooking. Also in for a chance at bream, sole, flathead and mullet here. Please release any natives though, this area gets severely overfished!

Victoria pt shops, lakeside. The lake next to hogsbreath/fasta pasta here actually connects to Eprapah creek. Pretty surpising whats on offer here, plenty of carp and mullet, as well as the occasional bass as well. Have heard of tilapia in there but never seen them, though I dont doubt their existance there!!!

Best place to fish is easily right next to the restuarants, but the security guards move you on pretty quickly, so I would only be trying this location later at night. if you move towards the road though past the "no fishing beyond this point" sign you can sit in the bush there without worry.

Best way to fish is with bread, either unweighted or under a float, and look for disturbances on the surface and cast at them. please dont let your bread float on the surface or use any meaty baits as your likely to catch a turtle or duck.

on a side note, give poppers a try for bass here too, but again, please release them!

The other location i can think of is around tingalpa creek in capalaba, both the ponds already mentioned and the creek itself. Never caught them but seen plenty of tilapia in there, and have had my line broken off by some unstoppables in there so give it a go and see what happens! be careful of turtles again though.

cboy69: Id call that a Bass, though its mouth an colouring look a little strange to me, almost more like an american largemouth...

I have made a google maps of Tilapia sites that I have found on the AFO site and thought I'd share it to help anyone else interested in some culling.

/>http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid=215407036410034057581.0004b1845fc31eec2878d&msa=0&ll=-27.557591,153.233871&spn=0.277283,0.516701

If you have a gmail account and would like to contribute PM me, otherwise I will add any that I learn of.

I run a kids program for the Logan Council "Krank" activities over the school holidays, we fish the following areas

Tygum Lagoon at Waterford - have caught carp here.

JJ Smith Park, Marsden - haven't fished here yet, but have been told there is plenty of tilapia.

will also be fishing Gould Adams park

I run a kids program for the Logan Council "Krank" activities over the school holidays, we fish the following areas

Tygum Lagoon at Waterford - have caught carp here.

JJ Smith Park, Marsden - haven't fished here yet, but have been told there is plenty of tilapia.

will also be fishing Gould Adams park

Thanks, they have been added

spangled perch, a native fish.

also any of the creeks around Rocklea/Archerfield/Coopers Plains have tilapia in them.

Any specific bodies of water? I live in Sunnybank and would be keen to do some local culling if possible.

I know behind the Bunnings there at rocklea/archerfield. Seeing as the floods around that area submerged everything, any drain/canal/creek around for a 10km radius should have them unfortunately

spangled perch, a native fish.

also any of the creeks around Rocklea/Archerfield/Coopers Plains have tilapia in them.

Any specific bodies of water? I live in Sunnybank and would be keen to do some local culling if possible.

I know behind the Bunnings there at rocklea/archerfield. Seeing as the floods around that area submerged everything, any drain/canal/creek around for a 10km radius should have them unfortunately

Not should have them, DO have them :( And they have been there since long before the floods. Unfortunately they will never be eradicated. Witnessed a female tilapia in Forest lake yesterday caring for her brood of a good few hundred fry, considering the amount already in our waterways then simple angling pressure will do nothing to dent the population. Though only way to combat them completely is a combination of angling/netting, introduction of more native predators and poisons, this obviously cannot happen.

... Perhaps AFO could arrange a 'fun Tillie tournament' at one of these sites for AFO members, it could turn into a great little social, cold XXXX Bitter and sausage sizzle as well as a few Tillies. I'm sure we could find some sponsors for small prizes etc. for biggest Tillie, most fish caught etc. ...

It's amazing how one post can make you keen on fishing for a pest which can be good fun but at the same time save out great native fish. we can win this war if we remember to distroy these fish instead of letting them go thinking it wont do any harm. good post mate!

True that, just reading this thread is making me keen for a tilly cull next week.

• 2 months later...
please include detailed location of spots/ bait/ lures/ fish species/ presence of local fish/ care to take to avoid hurting other wildlife etc in the posts so that we can all do our best to kill those noxious species without hurting others. also i advocate that we call leave those spots clean from fishing line/gear as we know they may post danger to birds and other wildlife.

I'll start with my spots

gould adams park on kingston road, kingston, QLD. sweet corn's so far the best bait. fishing on the two pontoons are very effective. park closes at 8 so daytime fishing is a must. fish species are carp and tillies, i've seen eels and bass caught so if you are chasing carp only, avoid using prawns or shrimps.

end of the underwood road heading towards underwood, there are loads of tillapia but please be careful not to hook the ducks in the pond. fish on the shelter right at the car park

Is it legal to fish there, if so then I will have a go at it tomorrow.

... Perhaps AFO could arrange a 'fun Tillie tournament' at one of these sites for AFO members, it could turn into a great little social, cold XXXX Bitter and sausage sizzle as well as a few Tillies. I'm sure we could find some sponsors for small prizes etc. for biggest Tillie, most fish caught etc. ...

I reckon this is a pretty good idea, would be fun!

I spent my childhood (Warialda, NSW) fishing the small creek for Euro. Biggest i caught was over a metre!!! Was good fun.

Archived