North Pine 13/6

mojo

Maybe its something to do with the date:laugh: ...First ever trip to North Pine this morning, went for a walk and ran into Dennis (Dinodog) and his mate Ian at a good looking spot.

We thru everything at em for a good 3-4 hours and didnt get a hit, besides one very very small bass.

I said cheerio to two top fellas and tried over near the dam Wall , half an hour of nothing and I finally struck a bass about 35cm on the gvibe...only to see him spit the hook just under my feet.

5 minutes later I hear a young kid who was fishing close by yell out holy Sh*t! he had just landed a big yella. I went to have a gander and I'm not kidding it was at least 60cm and felt about 8-10kg in size. Man O Man....

guess what he caught it on?

frozen bait prawns :sick:

Anyway I kept fishing until around 12 and gave it away.

I guess it was just one of those days where the bass werent intereted and old smelly bait was the order of the day.

Cheers

Mojo

Sure does mate, and like I said to Dino, if you caught a fish every cast you'd soon get very bored.

Must buy a few Tassie devils for the tackle box, we used to catch some monster trout trolling at Dartmouth Dam and the only lure they'd look at were the tassie devils.

cheers

I don't think I know anyone who fishes the Dart or Hume down south near Albury/Wodonga who has not got Tassie devils in their box :) Funnt part about it my scottish landlord saw my collection of both fresh and salt water lures and told me in no uncertain terms you'll never catch fish in Qld on those pointing to my TD collection LMAO how wrong he is but then again he said that about chrome slugs too :P

Gaz

mojo- you have used tassie b4 so im sure ya know what ya doing with them. when i fish np dam with tassies i cast as far out as possible and let em sink all the way and then get that tassie wobble going up the water colum, sometimes stopping half way back to let it sink all the way again.....i only say this in case you were going to fish the shallows..im not trying to be a know it all or anything:)

Thanks Jimmybob, thats pretty much what I was doing with the gvibes after watching Dennis and his mate do the same.

the funny thing though is the one decent bass I hooked yesterday seemed to be mid water, at the time I was trying everything from shallow to deep water retrieves, I just think I picked a bad day as even the NP pro's were struggling to get a hit.

I have found that a range of different retrieves can work well. Usually i will go for the crank technique with the g-vibes and get decent results. I also like slow rolling lures (be prepared to lose LOTS of lures) and then theres the medium paced retrieve. Often a change of technique can entice the bass to take a snap when other methods had been getting nothing.

Been a long time since my last fish and Im eagerly awaiting holidays.

-nelson-

Archived