Anyone chasing Black Marlin this year??

BassTracker

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mind you all these fish were targeted on tld25's and tyranos,your target species will come down to your trolling speed (generally) ive personally found big wahoo like fast moving targets BUT thats not ruling out that u could catch one on a floating pilly dead still,just techniques that a worth a try if your knew to it.we found a good pinacle mark and for weeks picked off dollie after dollie on it then nothing,ive heard they like floating objects as well?not sure of the truth in it but yeh. Just a matter of finding a good mark and working it at all different speeds and techniques and find out what works for you i suppose.i took this snap on the day

post-8990-144598692066_thumb.jpg

Yeah tgats why the use FAD's in nsw any structure including a floating piece of wood a buey, weed, rope will hold palagics.

I havnt looked at the record books yet but just gave fishing monthly a call and also a friend in Townsville who fishs the cairns billfishing classic each year and that's twice I've been laughed at today!! I can't fond any info anywhere on a thousand pounder being caught anywhere south of cairns and above the tweed in the last few years. Do you think you could give your friend on that charter boat a buzz and see if he has pics? Or any other info, he probably won't want to share too much but it would be great for business to share photos on a site like this.

Cheers mate thanks for the info

To anyone who is still following this thread,blacks are here,had 2 crack the riggers yesterday at tempest 40

Mate would love to see some of the pics of all the blacks youve caught, sounds like you had a big season last year, with 5 a seshion, if i get one over the entire season Ill be really stoked!!!

I have never heard of a grander blue along the east coast but I do know of a few grander blacks that have been taken on tuna long lines down along the Mid North Coast of NSW.

There has been some real big blues hooked and lost but still not in the 1000lb range that I know of.

I hooked a blue up one day chasing rat yellowfin for bait which we estimated at around 800lb but on a Penn 50w I had no hope in hell.

When the juvie blacks move down the coast in the warmer bait rich water they often arrive in huge packs and if you know where to find them you can have some huge sessions on them.

My best days fishing for them is 22 fish hooked up in 4.5 hours with 13 eventually being tagged and released.

We were at anchor and lost a few to the anchor rope so in the end we were just using 30 and 50lb straight to the hook as we had no time to tie doubles and make traces.

That same week I tagged 76 blacks,2 sails and 5 striped marlin,a dozen sharks and a few cobia,spanish ect in the mix.

Sounds good, pm me your number when you get a chance and ill give you a buzz for a chat when weve got some dates in mind :)

Sounds good to me.

I will make the bait traces for the weekend because I have seen some horrific things made over the years and people wonder why they cant catch a fish. :P

I hope your boat is not handicapped with a Merc/Mariner,lol

Archived