Litter off side of boat

haines490slc

The opening post asked our thoughts on whether or not he should video tape the vile act of another fisherperson throwing used butts into the water, the said footage was then to be used for the purpose of bringing the offender to justice. Or in other words dob him in.

My mum told me not to dob.

She said knobs dob.

I once killed a gopher with a stick.

As for the argument on stray cigarette butt compared with towing your boat to the ramp, it is a given that driving cars creates pollution, but the mindless discarding of butts out windows of vehicles is a serious problem, it is estimated that 50% of urban litter consists of butts, and over 90% of litter discarded from vehicles are butts. Butts are the most common article collected during clean up australia days, I found 2 dozen while watching my neice swim at cotton tree the other day (in a 2 m stretch) it is estimated that 4.5 trillion are littered world wide every year. For me seeing someone dispose of a butt correctly is the exception rather than the norm, good on you for those that take the time to thoughtfully dispose of them, but to simply chuck it is not a good look. And Ellicat, those stats are taken from the clean up Australia site.

I think some people are missing the point. Being surrounded by thousands of smelly butts is disgusting. :blush: Its also completely avoidable. (Just don't go to the Whickham) It just pisses me off that people are too lazy to use an ashtray or rubbish bin.

I think we need Singapore style laws for littering. Chewing gum should be banned as well. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a pavement covered in black chewing gum spots. Litterers should be fined. Graffiti artists should have the crap beaten out of them with a cane.

Yeah the amount of litter is apalling. I think the figures on butts are occurances not volume. I was at the Mooloolaba ramp on saturday, Missus parked the car in a spot away from everyone. When I grabbed the car to drag the boat out next to my car was a 44 gallon drum converted into a esky and a tonne of food dumped beside the car. There really are some grubs around. Maybe they need camers installed into a lot of public carparks/areas to slow this down.

Ellicat love your profile pick lol.

... No argument there, any form of litter is a poor show, often it's just a matter of degrees, I certainly do not condone any form of littering. Smoking on the other hand is a good thing, those of you who don't smoke should start, I mean who wants to die healthy? :woohoo: ...

i put butts in a container..... i piss over the side......and i take my rubbish with me cause it stays in the boat........everyone is diff and its of no use to start an argument over a cigarette butt...... come on......get real its a part of life that stuff is gonna end up in the water......are you gonna go round and pick it all up.......if you keep ya rubbish on ya boat then good onya... if you throw it over board or let it fly out while you moving then you need to change your habits......get over it.....dont want to live in a police state now do we!

Your boat is solar powered right? And the hull is biodegradeable of course..... :whistle: need some steps to get up on your horse mate
I am proud to stand up for what I believe in and the environment, just like others in the forum do (that I fully support) for those who indulge in taking undersized fish and exceeding bag limits. Why are you so against me reporting blatant litter, is it that you flick butts? Butt flicking is about the only thing I will report, if some plastic or something blows off a boat or car by accident I doubt I would report it but the willfull discarding of butts directly into the waterways or the environment by careless smokers I will not hesitate to report. I live near a large area of bushland I don't want it to burn down putting mine and my families property and life in danger due to the careless actions of some smoker. FYI one of the black friday fires and many ohters that killed people is thought to have been started by a discarded butt. http://www.google.com.au/search?q=black+friday+discarded+butt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

this is getting interesting....

i am an x smoker and i will admit many many yrs ago 2000-2002 i did throw them out of my car, but not boat when i was a smoker. i did change my ways and ended up using a portable ashtray pot. this is and will always be an onging debate that will never change unless the cigs are totally baned

this is getting interesting....

i am an x smoker and i will admit many many yrs ago 2000-2002 i did throw them out of my car, but not boat when i was a smoker. i did change my ways and ended up using a portable ashtray pot. this is and will always be an onging debate that will never change unless the cigs are totally baned

Good on you Madmullet, see the problem with chucking them out of the car means that they end up in the waterways when it rains anyway. I would thought as fishermen, we would support most measures that aim to protect and enhance the environment we love to spend so much time in.

Your boat is solar powered right? And the hull is biodegradeable of course..... :whistle: need some steps to get up on your horse mate
I am proud to stand up for what I believe in and the environment, just like others in the forum do (that I fully support) for those who indulge in taking undersized fish and exceeding bag limits. Why are you so against me reporting blatant litter, is it that you flick butts? Butt flicking is about the only thing I will report, if some plastic or something blows off a boat or car by accident I doubt I would report it but the willfull discarding of butts directly into the waterways or the environment by careless smokers I will not hesitate to report. I live near a large area of bushland I don't want it to burn down putting mine and my families property and life in danger due to the careless actions of some smoker. FYI one of the black friday fires and many ohters that killed people is thought to have been started by a discarded butt. http://www.google.com.au/search?q=black+friday+discarded+butt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Nobody wants ciggy butts in the water.

Only way people will change their ways is through education and developing respect for the environment, not through stupid " he said she said" laws etc

A description of the person who flicked the said butt, and their registration will do in order for a PIN to be issued, I am not going to be on the lookout for it, however, if I see it I will report it. Education obviously hasn't worked, the only way to teach people a lesson is to hit them in the hip pocket. Have you ever heard of this saying "evil prevails when good men do nothing?"

you do know fisheries can fine you for discarding butts over the side...... we had an incident in w.a where a fisheries boat pulled up to a bloke in his boat smoking away and asked him if he had caught anything..... next question was " where are your cig butts going " and the bloke didnt have an answer.... it was obvious that they were goin in the water...... $150 on the spot fine for littering..... expensive days fishing .... woulda been less if he had an empty bottle on board for his butts......its simple really..... if you're a smoker then have an empty bottle for ya butts.... if ya dont smoke get over cause its gonna happen regardless no matter what you do or say....... we all get told not to speed in our cars cause it causes accidents or death but yet we all have or do still do it.... same thing... those who want to listen , will change / those who dont listen will never change......

Mod Note

Debate is good. Even a small amount of reasoned argument can be good.

Name calling and getting all a bit too serious and personal about it is not.

I've edited out the heated bits (I think), so let's see if we can leave the thread open.

If any of the parties feel agrieved by my moderation...stiff ! :P

When I smoked I used to put 'em out and stash 'em in my pocket. Some times I would forget and become the most popular man in the house when the washing was done.

In Japan I noticed very few bins in the streets and less ciggie butts in every garden.

People over there actually seem to have pride that goes beyond a "F*** Off We're Full" sticker and actually clean up after themselves.

Also, most smokers carry a small, sealable box which they ashed and stubbed out their cigarettes in.

Now that I'm a non smoker, my horses legs are even longer, but I rarely say any thing, I'm more likely to just go pick it up and bin it than say any thing.

A description of the person who flicked the said butt, and their registration will do in order for a PIN to be issued, I am not going to be on the lookout for it, however, if I see it I will report it. Education obviously hasn't worked, the only way to teach people a lesson is to hit them in the hip pocket. Have you ever heard of this saying "evil prevails when good men do nothing?"

Henry Brooks Adams also had thoughts on good men “It is always good men who do the most harm in the world.â€

I must say I am with Haines490. There is no excuse. I would take great pleasure in dobbing in any butt tosser.

When my former business partner (complete loose cannon) saw anyone flick a but out of a car window he would get out pick it up and throw it back into the car it came from. Funny stuff. To this day I am amazed that he never got stabbed or shot.

Archived