My first legal Jewy

Bill_V

Hey guys, my first post on here, hopefully many more to follow. After my awesome session with my Cousin Andrew (Rathabfshn2)last week and having such crap weather for the last week and having to head back to work next week I decided to have a quick morning session in the river with my mate Brad who I have been promising to take fishing for a while now. So I was at Colmslie ramp at 0430 this morning.

After last week's session where we got a heap of livies in about ten minutes I thought they would be easy pickings this morning however, half an hour with my new net produced nothing. There was bugger all activity on the water plus I am crap at casting a net.....need lessons Andy....... I tried under the bridge under the lights but once again nothing. It was at this time I thought, oh well today is going to suck.

Arrived at the pipeline and chucked out a 1/2 a pilly on a 4/0 circle, put my rod down (not in the holder) and started rigging up a second rod when I noticed out of the corner of my eye my new rod trying to climb out of the boat. I grabbed it just before it disappeared over the side and found that I was well and truly hooked up with something decent. A short but fun fight with plenty of runs resulted in my very first legal Jewy.

post-9750-144598667977_thumb.jpg

After that not much else happened as because I had wasted so much time chasing live bait I missed the slack tide window and it started running pretty hard. Did manage a few bream the best going 32cms but seemed a bit boring after catching the Jewy haha. Makes me wonder if I would have done better just heading out with the pillies when it was obvious the livies weren't playing the game.

Anyhoo, all a learning curve for me and really the Jewy was a pretty good result so I am pretty happy with the out come.

Tight lines fellas (and ladies of course)

Cheers,

Bill

Nice work Bill. I of course new this was coming after recieving a mms picture message around 6-630 ish. Glad you did though as I had turned the alarm off and was running late! With the bait, they just weren't playing the game as 1/2 of "Team V" was not there ;) I bet they will come out to play when we head out Tuesday! Can't wait!

great first report bill!! nice jewy, unlucky about the livies. its funny, every time i go there i get atleast 50 livies (herring, mullet and more) in one cast and that does it for the day. and people say that they spend hours.

Good work again :)

James

Hey James do you mean netting at the Colmslie ramp or around the pipeline?

We plan to head out fishing few jew/threadfin Tues mornings low....then shoot out to Mud once it starts to move a bit too much...and back for the slack on high (if i get enough study done). We would love to be well armed with livies for the river and Mud...so any tips on spots to castnet other than the ramp or luggage point would be greatfully appreciated!

Cheers Andrew (oh and Bill...what I just did was "hijack" your thread)...be it for both our benefit ;)

mate its always nice to get a first well done :), as runty said the poop shoot or known as luggage point, me and my mates have always gotten live herring there not so much mullet, but with the herring you cant keep them alive for long even with an aerator and fresh water they always seem to die, they just loose all their scales and just die, well for us they do ahaha. hope that helps

cheers ryan

mate its always nice to get a first well done :), as runty said the poop shoot or known as luggage point, me and my mates have always gotten live herring there not so much mullet, but with the herring you cant keep them alive for long even with an aerator and fresh water they always seem to die, they just loose all their scales and just die, well for us they do ahaha. hope that helps

cheers ryan

I was there last Sat night and had a bit of trouble getting livies also, although wasn't helped by the fact a boat was anchored about 10m from the poop shoot. Ended up anchoring beside it (which was fun by myself!!!!) and throwing right beside it and also into the flowing water and still took a few casts to get 4 large herring.

Ryan, try getting a 20L white bucket with a lid, drill some holes in the top half and tie a rope to the handle - works perfectly as a livie bucket and keeps everything alive, including herring. Got this tip from Tugger and MickFillet so I won't claim the credit!!

Still waiting for my first jewy :( Well done Bill and welcome to the site.

Hey guys,

Cheers to all, yep it was a pretty good result except for the livies. Thanks for all your tips guys and I will try a few casts at the chute next time I am out there.

It has been an interesting last two sessions as before last thursday I had never caught a thready and was starting to think they were a myth but then landed a 113cm thready after Andy caught the his first legal Jewy of 82cms. I decided after that I needed to catch a Jewy as I had never caught even an undersized one only to get this one on the very next session on the river. Definately got my fishing mojo on at the moment.

Heading out tomorrow.....if you see a Savage Safari 450 with a blue stripe at the pipeline, say g'day.

Archived