Sooner or Later, It had to be caught.. The mullet!

taib

So working 80 hours a week is killin me and wife finally decided to stop helping her friend's shop to come back to ours... I was so happy i cried. This meant it gives me back my time fishing!

Ive been driving past a canal in southport for the last few months which looks real fishy. Finally got away from the shop this morning and decided to go for a flick.

Here is the canal.. no bigger than 30m wide.

post-4323-14459868642_thumb.jpg

post-4323-144598686465_thumb.jpg

There were massive schools of massive mullet around and i could see some really big bream, and i mean seriously BIG bream! In goes a gulp, 30 mins later no success. Decided to run across to the servo and buy a loaf of bread to target the hundreds of mullet. Didnt have a float, so fished with a small sinker.

First cast had a nice run but went dead. Second cast, then 5 mins later a small tug. Third cast, Bang!! Reel screams her head off and Nordic Sharpshooter busy at work, i finally landed what i expected, A nice BIG 46cm MULLET!

Put up a really good fight, then it rained. Not bad for 1 hours fishing i guess. Cheers

46cm mullet

post-4323-144598686426_thumb.jpg

post-4323-144598686437_thumb.jpg

post-4323-144598686469_thumb.jpg

Top little spot! Saw a few locals pull up some nice muddies. Apparently theres been sharks sighted in there.

Planning to go back there to try to hook up one of those monster breams which look like snapper / squire.

Judging with the sinker and line, my guess is its about 3 to 4 meters deep in the middle, which is pretty deep for a small canal.

Hey mate, good catch, there is a shopping trolley just over the edge of the you know what ;) right in the middle of the canal... So look around there you can only see it during low tide but it is there.I've seen those large bream hanging around it. I also saw these pretty looking green ones there as well... and bigger than the bream by alot..not sure what they are though :huh: ... sort of feathery looking fins, quite meaty looking, I don't know.. not sure but it sort of looked like a parrot fish???? I also saw a baby jack underneath the ??????as well.. :lol:

Archived