Moreton Bay...

Scope

Moreton Bay Fri 30th September

It had been way too long since I’d had a decent fish, so a plan was formulated to hit the bay last Friday. Zim Man (Rob), our mate Brett, and myself launched from Wellington Pt with a plan to fish some spots around Peel Island on the run-in tide.

The conditions on the way out were quite favourable and we arrived at our spot in no time. Not getting any touches on the surface lures, we soon changed to plastics, with all of us throwing either Armour Shads or Rippers.

Brett had the first decent fish in the boat, a just legal snapper, who put up a good fight on Brett’s light gear. A few happy snaps and he was sent on his way to breed and grow bigger.

post-5732-144598688247_thumb.jpg

The second one came in much the same fashion, this time a slightly bigger snapper, around the 39cm mark. Once again, we took a few snaps on Brett’s phone to send to his less fortunate, still working colleagues.

post-5732-144598688252_thumb.jpg

A short time later and it was my turn. With 3lb line stretching and reel screaming it was touch and go, but I soon had a 38cm Snapper in the boat. Like the others he was sent on his way after posing for the camera.

post-5732-144598688256_thumb.jpg

The master himself (Zim Man) was a little sheepish, with both apprentices having landed keeper fish, and him still on a donut. Not to be outdone, he hooked a monster Squire, coming in at around the 18cm mark. It gave a good account of itself before being sent back to the depths from whence it came. This trend continued with several smallish Trevally keeping Rob in the running. I got busted off a couple of times on my 3lb straight through, with the fish not even knowing they were hooked.

Brett continued his domination with a great fight on a Golden Trevally, after some heart in mouth moments, and some very, very dodgy net-work, we finally had him on the brag mat. He came in at a healthy 54cm, a first, and a new p.b for Brett.

post-5732-144598688259_thumb.jpg

post-5732-144598688262_thumb.jpg

We changed spots not long after, and headed for some structure. Rob hooked up to a cracking fish, which we called for a big Trevally, or small Kingfish. In the end it didn’t matter as he decided he didn’t want to play anymore, and took his ball (the lure) with him.

We did manage a few snaps for Rob to hang on his wall, as a reminder to what could have been.

post-5732-144598688265_thumb.jpg

post-5732-144598688269_thumb.jpg

All in all it was a great day, with a plethora of species landed, in all shapes and sizes. As always, it was a pleasure to fish with Rob and Brett.

Cheers for reading - Scopesy

only just saw this now, so........

post-2016-144598690834_thumb.png

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

had a gas out there, first time fishing the place and i know i will be back. brett did very well and is not letting me forget it. :P in fact i was down in the ranks for quite a while and was on the receiving end of many jokes until my mega 18cm squire saved me from a donut. i have lost the mojo of late, but it will come back soon

thanks jono for a good day out, i have some footage of the trev underwater that i will put up soonish

Archived