4inch berkley gulp pumpkinseed

well didnt the squire over the weekend gobble these things up.

Me and the gf went fishing on sat and sun (3pm to 5:30pm both days) at wello and caought around 30 squire with 1 over the 35cm mark, was a bit dissapointing we only got 1 but we managed to get 7 over the 30cm mark.

I ended up going through 2 packs of gulps. On the saturday I

only tried the 4\" pumpkinseed minnow cos it was working, threw in the 4 or 4\" poggy and didnt get anything. pretty much every cast i got a fish. then on the sunday i ran out of the pumpkinseeds and went to the 5\" nuclear chicken and they worked just as well.

One question though do you still use them if the tail has been bitten of. there was a few that came back with next to nothing of the plastic left but some came back with prob a cm or so of the tail gone.

I am now converted to the plastics, dead/fresh bait is no more in my world. plastioc fishing is just so much more fun and you really are having to outsmart the fish.

Though when the stupid dolphin showed up and didnt venture more than 5m from my boat the fish went of the bite for me. he circled our boat constantly almost like he was herding the fish to us cos as soon as he did that the gf who was dropping it straight under the boat started getting all the fish.

Sounds like you had a bit of fun there OD.

I don't use plastics, but you may do better (size wise) if you drop down the weight of your jighead.

The reason I say this is that the larger fish will often take a bait on the drop which says to me they're higher in the school than the littleuns. So dropping the jighead size may give you a better chance if the same holds true for plastics.

Alternatively, you could start working the plastic back to you a little bit earlier to achieve a similar outcome. You may get less fish but better quality.

This could all be wrong, but it seems logical to me.

:)

Thats actually how it went elli, i tended to find i would get the bigger ones on the drop... i was doing 3 short quick flicks and letting it drop. I also went out and bought some 10lb vanish and I think that was a majority of my success...it worked 10 times better than the 30lb leader and landed all my fish. See i was trying to get it as close to the bottom as i could using a 1/6 jighead thinking that they were only on the bottom do squire feed on the surface or down low? we were sitting in about 6m of water on the run in tide.

sounds like a good session I have had plenty in the river like that but they all tend to be schools of fish around the same size and I use 1/16ounce jigheads so I if you get sick of those smaller ones it might pay to move on and try somewhere else for those bigger fish

Sometimes i dont even care if they are undersize fish to be honest. For their size squire fight great and if its on plastics and lite gear, its all fun to me!!

On that note though its been years since i caught consistant squire on that was bait anyway. I really have to get out try for these Brissy river squire.

Angus

I really don't care what fish I catch on a lure. I would rather catch a 30cm Flathead on a Cast and Retrive lure than a 50cm Flathead on bait. Seriously. That said, I like the consistency of catching fish on bait.

I like fishing with either, I just prefer the feeling that you get when you catch a fish on lure to the feeling of getting one on bait.

Mack_attack wrote:

How deep were u fishing in? we have most sucess in the 3-4m range

we were fishing in 6m mate.

Mick it wasnt the grub i dont think, im only new to plastics but it looks very similar to the jerkshad only its 4\"

Oh and i tell you what berkley sure as hell design their jigheads so that once a plastic is on....you have to destroy it to get it off. Its a great design to maximise gulp purchases i 'think' i was using the nitro ones and man if you try a plstic and it doesnt work 90% of the time the only way to get it off is to rip it somehow, so friken annoying

I checked the berkley website and the 4\" guld minnow in pumpkinseed colour only comes in the grub..... (website most likley out of date)

Minnow
/>http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=49701&sk=46657&u=GMI4

Minnow Grub
/>http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=49700&sk=46657&u=GMG4

Cowfish13 wrote:

I really don't care what fish I catch on a lure. I would rather catch a 30cm Flathead on a Cast and Retrive lure than a 50cm Flathead on bait. Seriously. That said, I like the consistency of catching fish on bait.

I like fishing with either, I just prefer the feeling that you get when you catch a fish on lure to the feeling of getting one on bait.

Throw a bait out on a circle hook let it sit then chuck some SP around at the some time.... double the fun... Just an idea.

yeah id say it would be out dated Mick cos going on that picture i definatly was not fishing with a grub.

Yeah i usually throw out a hook with some floated fresh bay squid just on the off chance something big comes by. its clinging to straws but like the lotto you gotta be in it to win it.

When I try lure fish in the Bay with SP's, I usually throw out a floating Pillie on gang hooks as well as using the lures. Just on the off chanch that a Tailor, Mackerel or Snapper is going through. I only do this though if there is enough room in the boat and if there isn't way too much current.

Nah mate not one, we have only ever caught 2 grinners at wello point. Usually we get a fair few bream and tusk fish in comparison to the squire but last weekend we nailed the squire.

Im going out there again this weekend to see if it was just luck or to see if they hang around that small area all the time.

Archived