Noosa River Barra Fest!

Angus

What a weekend!

Headed up to stay at the Noosa Fishing Shack for the weekend with John with the aim at chasing some Jacks.

Well no jacks caught but some sweet consolation! We headed into the everglades chasing bass and jacks and after spotting a school of Barra we stopped in our tracks and started casting. Within minutes Greg was onto a nice barra measuring in at 61cm. It was a great feeling to see this happen as I knew Greg had been trying for a Noosa barra for 3 years! I am certain it was the new AFO shirt :P

post-63-14459870401_thumb.jpg

We all had a bit more of a flick but things had gone quiet so we headed out into the lake to chase some flatties. Using Reaction Strike Mullet Jnr's Greg picked up a couple of fish quickly so John and I were starting to feel a bit left out.

post-63-144598704017_thumb.jpg

After a little bit longer we came the conclusion that what the hell are we doing trying to catch flathead when we know there is a chance, however slim, at chasing some barra. So back into the glades we went all armed with Pontoon 21 Greedy Guts (which was of course the lure Greg got the first barra on). It didnt take John long this time and he nailed one for himself.

post-63-144598704021_thumb.jpg

I thought I was on the board soon after but a total rookie error (crap knot) lost me me first wild barra and a brand new Greedy Guts. Bugger! I was doubly upset about this as I really thought I may have stuffed my only opportunity. However after a lot more casts, hits and missed opportunities I was finally on! Can I just say that although there has been some question about Nordic Stage rods suitability for Qld conditions (:P), my NS served me beautifully for my first wild caught barra.

post-63-144598704025_thumb.jpg

As if the day could get any better, we all doubled our scores catching another barra each in the space of literally 10 minutes with John taking the biggest of the day in the mid 60's. All fish were caught on Pontoon 21 Greedy Guts, Nordic Stage rods and shimano reels.

post-63-14459870403_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598704034_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598704038_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598704043_thumb.jpg

Too good. A massive thanks to Greg Carter from the Noosa Fishing Shack. That will be a day to remember! If anyone is planning a holiday soon I would highly recommend this place. Absolutely stunning scenery, family friendly and just plain awesome.

Cheers.

Angus

1 and a half days left then we got to leave them alone for a while for the closed season while they get cuddly with each other

As I said on FB, mad effort mate! Gotta get up there after some this chrissy! Doubt you'd get in trouble for targeting in closed season :whistle:

Great to have you guys up, even better to catch a few Barra with you,

very special moment for us all :woohoo:

Also like to say the Nordic rods are great,I am very happy with the performance of my new 4-8lb 6"6 rod. Money well spent I will be off loading a few other estuary rods and replacing them. It loads well, casts well and is extremely light and comfortable to use.

The greedy guts lures are an awesome casting lure, from the first twitch I new it was a winner. I bought 4 but will be grabbing a few more as back up in a couple of other colours.

Awesome effort guys, two fish I have never caught, jacks and barra, and you have cleaned up on both in the last couple of weeks. Pretty sure there is going to be a fair bit of boat and yak traffic up that way for the next few weeks. It is amaz,ng what species are moving further and further south, there are some cracker species down in the bay if you know where your looking, that aren't common knowledge. :whistle:

Andrew

Great report Angus. Huge thanks to Greg for having us up to the Noosa Fishing Shack.

I had a great time on and off the water and even better was the thrill of landing our first Noosa barra!!!

Thanks again mate!!

pleasure Johhny, your a real gentleman and always welcome. Hopefully we can do it again soon.

Angus thats awesome mate. I had heard people speak of the noosa barra before, but i was under the impression they were this rare catch. If that's the case then you guys just had the kind of sessions the guys that fish up there dream about. Congrats, i am super jealous.

That is simply awesome boys, the smiles say it all. It's great to see some consistent barra catches starting to come from there. Defs gonna get the yak up there soon. Well done fellas :cheer:

Lets do it!

KEEN!!! I am basically fishing every weekend from now on. My partner just got a new job and has to work weekends, say the word and I'm there :woohoo:

That is simply awesome boys, the smiles say it all. It's great to see some consistent barra catches starting to come from there. Defs gonna get the yak up there soon. Well done fellas :cheer:

Lets do it!

KEEN!!! I am basically fishing every weekend from now on. My partner just got a new job and has to work weekends, say the word and I'm there :woohoo:

Guys come fish the Jack comp next weekend :)

Well done fellas some nice clean barra I hope they keep moving south. Where do you think they have come from or were they stocked.

Dino

I am fairly sure that they are wild and probably 2-3 years old. I dont think they are stocked into the Noosa river and there was too many to be escapies. The size was consistent and there was possibly 20 plus in a school that we saw.

Lets do it!

Guys come fish the Jack comp next weekend :)

regatta down coomera and working :'(

What an awesome barra session! This has surely got to mean that Noosa river could now be classed as a very viable barra fishery.

Please dont think I'm trying to give offence or get up on a soapbox, but can't condone actively targeting barra in closed season (starting next week) which some respondees to this post seem to be planning, as its both illegal and unethical- the closed season is there for a reason and probably helped in a big way for the barra fishery in the far north to recover from the doldrums we had right up to the mid nineties, where barra were so rare a legal fish in populated areas was virtually front page news. In the Cairns fishing community its considered shameful and somebody obviously targeting barra in closed season is called 'fishing for pink eyed salmon'. Sometimes unavoidable to get a barra in closed season but not too hard to minimise accidental catches by not casting at snags where you can see a school of males holding, or fishing deeper water for fingermark instead etc etc.

What an awesome barra session! This has surely got to mean that Noosa river could now be classed as a very viable barra fishery.

Please dont think I'm trying to give offence or get up on a soapbox, but can't condone actively targeting barra in closed season (starting next week) which some respondees to this post seem to be planning, as its both illegal and unethical- the closed season is there for a reason and probably helped in a big way for the barra fishery in the far north to recover from the doldrums we had right up to the mid nineties, where barra were so rare a legal fish in populated areas was virtually front page news. In the Cairns fishing community its considered shameful and somebody obviously targeting barra in closed season is called 'fishing for pink eyed salmon'. Sometimes unavoidable to get a barra in closed season but not too hard to minimise accidental catches by not casting at snags where you can see a school of males holding, or fishing deeper water for fingermark instead etc etc.

I'll jump in on this one, as no doubt it is reflective of what I said before. Mate with how protective I get of bass closed season, the opportunity for barra tobreed and establish a fishable population virtually on my doorstep is enough for me to set up a night watch group to look after them. I was more just pointing out how foolish it would (well would have previously) seemed to be charged by fisheries for targeting close season barra in noosa - apologies if I offended

Archived