First trip off cape moreton

mconradi

Hi Guys,

Went off Cape Moreton for the first time on saturday morning, Dad came along for the trip too.

Gotta say i either picked the worst possible route out or it was a lttle rough out there got absoultely smashed.

Tried trolling for a while but with nothing went looking fvor some structure,

Found a massive school of fish so spent the next couple of hours drifting over it. a one point could see a school of small mahi mahi under the boat.

Caught lots of Hussar, around the 25 to 30cm mark, can anyone advise on whats a good eating size as i thought these where too small so they went back.

Only real fish worth mentioning was a 75cm snapper.

also got my first spangled at 43cm so she went back .

Can anyone advise on what the bright blue fish is, size limit and if it tastes good what is teh best size?

Cheers Matt

post-9856-144598716081_thumb.jpg

post-9856-144598716094_thumb.jpg

post-9856-1445987161_thumb.jpg

post-9856-144598716108_thumb.jpg

Nice one mate. That is a very respectable snapper in anyones book.

As Hfisho said hussar as any lutjanid are top table fare, despite them not attaining a great size. When fishing up north I always keep a few for the table. Legal is 25cm. Interesting you got a few as I never seem to get any off moreton. Where were you guys looks like somewhere around Hutchies by the photos.

Whilst it probably wouldn't kill you I wouldn't bother trying to eat the wrasse.

Also that stretch of water around the top of moreton can get pretty hairy in the wrong conditions. i.e. decent easterly or northeasterly swell on an outgoing tide.

Pretty narrow passage with plenty of sandbanks with breaking waves either side if you are crossing at night.

Archived