Any Roofers on the site????

daveylad

If there any roofers on the site I would really like to get some professional advice from you. The roofing is Colourbond and its just been put onto my sons 1st house, I've took a pic of it and from the driveway you can see its shorter than the rest of the roof, cut a long story short the builder says its acceptable and I would like to get some expert advice, hope someone can help in the trade

Thanks

post-7571-14459872494_thumb.jpg

Dave

I don't rate that acceptable especially for a new place. Even if that was a low point and down pipe was to be there. They could raise the gutter perhaps but might show on the fascia depending on clips. Ensure that there is a minimum of 30mm overhang of sheet into the gutter. You need to show them what a stringline is.

Mike

From recent dealings with the BSA they don't give off the record opinions on things, you have to lodge a complaint and go through the process. Be aware also of their time limits on things as there is structural and non structural complaints with the non structural time limit surprisingly short. And something you might consider as structural, like water getting under the eaves and your ceiling caving in would not be considered structural to them as the walls and roof would still be standing.

Hope it helps.

spoke to the BSA youre right, they tell you the procedures to follow and give advice what to do to resolve, they did say thought thsat it sounds a reasonable complaint and to get an independant report....they just happen to be $550:00, I'm going back to the builder and tell him a will get one if it is not fixed and follow through with the matter, I reckon because my son is a young fella they are trying it on a bit with him, thqnks for the advice, gary c would appreciate your mates advice I'm putting it to the builder the comments made by you guys, Thanks

I know Ellicat was looking at getting a mule from the states, sure he could throw in some roofs with the order for you...

Seriously though, plenty of rain to give it a test soon, hope there is nothing wrong with it - it's a bit of a dampener on moving into a new place.

From recent dealings with the BSA they don't give off the record opinions on things, you have to lodge a complaint and go through the process. Be aware also of their time limits on things as there is structural and non structural complaints with the non structural time limit surprisingly short. And something you might consider as structural, like water getting under the eaves and your ceiling caving in would not be considered structural to them as the walls and roof would still be standing.

Hope it helps.

From my long period of dealing with them professionally they will give an opinion/indication on whether they think you should pursue it thru them though. ;)

I know Ellicat was looking at getting a mule from the states, sure he could throw in some roofs with the order for you...

Seriously though, plenty of rain to give it a test soon, hope there is nothing wrong with it - it's a bit of a dampener on moving into a new place.

Jords... you and I think the same..my first post was going to be 'yea sure I have some good ones at $35 each or 3 for $100'

But that would have been an illegal post ;)

Thats a very common problem, it can be caused by a few things. Dodgy roof truses if the chippy hasn't run a straight edge along the top plate and nailed the truss off you can get high and low points in the frame, dodgy batterns, stoned/pissed roofers (a very common occurence), first year apprentice who cant use a pair of sheers, theres not alot that can be done at this stage in construction without removing the roof sheets or cutting corners by lifting the gutter to cover the wavy sheets. Whos the builder? Who was the roofy? Also good luck with the BSA they are a pack of ___ they don't help any one but themselves, from a licenced tradesman and home owners point of view :( We have dealt with them on a few occasions with little to no result both on the job and my olds house.

Have dealt with them a lot over the years, Den. Directly with self and family as well as through/with builders and tradie clients and home owner clients. They are a pain in back-side, but a necessary evil. I don't like the way they go about things but have found them to be pretty fair on the arbitration stuff. Like most bureaucratic institutions and staff, if you say the right things and get "friendly" with them up front things are easier.

Speak to the builder he is the one who has to keep coming back to repair the soffit sheet and have it repainted every time it rains, you can't just go to the BSA with out trying to work it out with builder or roofer first then if they won't do anything write a letter of demand, it does look like shit and there is no reason to cut that end of the sheet.

Good luck Tim

just a heads up on those posts who are suggesting no payment,if you fail to pay the outstanding money to the builder you void all warranties on the house as you have infact broken the build contract, which i know is hard to swallow but in the long run you are much better payin for the work and going through other options to rectafy the issues.i think the law on roofing is at least 30mm of the roof sheet has to be into the gutter .on the jobs that we do we have atleast 70mm into the gutter.hope this info helps a bit.

just a heads up on those posts who are suggesting no payment,if you fail to pay the outstanding money to the builder you void all warranties on the house as you have infact broken the build contract, which i know is hard to swallow but in the long run you are much better payin for the work and going through other options to rectafy the issues.i think the law on roofing is at least 30mm of the roof sheet has to be into the gutter .on the jobs that we do we have atleast 70mm into the gutter.hope this info helps a bit.

Hey rosco in my plumbing apprenticeship we still had to do theory on roofing and I was looking at my text book and it states at least 50mm of roofsheet to overhang into gutter. Maybe worth using the "HB39 roofing" text book as a reference as its the standard.

Bloody dodgy work and as said before no reason to be cutting the bottom of the sheets thats just poor workmanship. Certainly no quality assurance in that kinda work.

Hope all is resolved calmly

Adam

Adam

the , wifes parents had this same problem with there builder , but found out the hard way in a storm a few yeasr back the wind pushed all the water out of the gutters under the roof (venturi effect) and flooded the house it was like waterfall in doors it was still in the handover stage and the builder fixed the guttering

Does this project have a specification? If so it probably should say a tolerance/minimum overhang in that. If not an Australian Standard will definately say what it should be, and the contract will have a clause saying relevant AS which needs to be followed.

You may be able to 'withhold' payment depending on the contract used on the project. Which contract is being used? I guess if an Architect was used they wouldn't issue a Certificate of Practical Completion until the builder fixed it. If the builder didn't fix it they could use the cash retention to pay another subcontractor to correct the defective work.

When an Architect/ABIC contract isn't used, you are pretty much at the mercy of the builder. BSA and HIA contracts aren't too favarouble to the owner unfortunately. So best bet would be to look up the relevant Australian Standard and if it is not conforming to that, tell the builder he needs to fix it.

I'm sitting here with my mate.

He says the pictures make it difficult to see whether or not it will cause some problems. He advises turning the hose on it and seeing if it leaks.

Where is this house? If it isn't too far, he will take a look at no charge (to you, I've got to share some rum). :lol::lol:

Send me a pm if you want to have him check it out.

hey adam,

are u sure they have cut the sheets as it wasn't stated in the 1st post.as you would know as u are a aprprentice plumber that if u stretch the roof sheet you will get the same effect as cutting the sheets.i very much doubt that a roofer would cut every sheet as this would cost him time and money which any tradie would know and if he did cut the sheets he would more than likely put the cut edge under the ridge cap not into the gutter.and not starting trouble but if u look at the gutter which is a standard bull nose gutter being 125 mm wide it prob is closer to the 50mm into the gutter u stated but hey i havn't seen this roof and measured myself so am only assuming on the info given.there are alot of things what cause this o a roof.mate i aint a roofer by trade just a chippy who looks after jobs and been around a bit .allways love apprentices who preach the text book.be out of your apprenticship for 20 years like i have adam and see if u still know every standard of the book .i guess u would if u keep it in your work truck but hey i got too much other rubish in mine

thanks for the text book clear up mate is all good

cheers rosco

hey adam,

are u sure they have cut the sheets as it wasn't stated in the 1st post.as you would know as u are a aprprentice plumber that if u stretch the roof sheet you will get the same effect as cutting the sheets.i very much doubt that a roofer would cut every sheet as this would cost him time and money which any tradie would know and if he did cut the sheets he would more than likely put the cut edge under the ridge cap not into the gutter.and not starting trouble but if u look at the gutter which is a standard bull nose gutter being 125 mm wide it prob is closer to the 50mm into the gutter u stated but hey i havn't seen this roof and measured myself so am only assuming on the info given.there are alot of things what cause this o a roof.mate i aint a roofer by trade just a chippy who looks after jobs and been around a bit .allways love apprentices who preach the text book.be out of your apprenticship for 20 years like i have adam and see if u still know every standard of the book .i guess u would if u keep it in your work truck but hey i got too much other rubish in mine

thanks for the text book clear up mate is all good

cheers rosco

It wasnt directed at you rosco, I was saying the person with the house could maybe use the standards to help back himself up with the works done on his roof

Adam

I'm leaving it with the builder to next week to give them time to come back to us, then I'll ask for a meeting with them and see what they have to say, I'll check on the standards for the sheeting and check what the measurments are today, Thanks for all the advice will keep posted on the progress

Thanks

Dave

Archived