Road trip to Darwin - 2011

Lozzel

This is a report from a trip that Glenda and I done a couple of months ago.

The trip was planned back in December 2010, when we purchased a new Nissan Patrol wagon, after the floods in Dec & Jan it was put on hold until later in the year.

post-742-144598735883_thumb.jpg

The patrol underwent some modification by removing all but the 2 front seats, as there were only the 2 of us going. With the seats removed I made 2 false floors on different levels to accommodate all of our camping gear, food and clothing etc. as well as a dual battery system, 12v power plugs and extra lighting.

On Friday 12 August with the car and gear ready we left Roma to spend some time with the kids and granddaughter in Rockhampton. We camped on the coast near Yeppoon for a week to make sure we had all that we needed and for Glenda to go to her AVON banquet. The weather was crap as usual so the trip out to the reef on my cousin’s 30’ boat was cancelled (yet again) so first week there was no fishing.

Pic of camp.

post-742-144598735894_thumb.jpg

Thurs 18th August. On leaving Rocky we headed west to Longreach (700Kms), stopping at Emerald, Alpha and Barcaldine looking at the sites (doing the tourist thing) and the places where I used to work. As this was Glenda’s first time in this area we stayed in Longreach overnight and went to the Stockman’s hall of Fame the next day. This place has expanded since I was there last and there was an outdoor spectacular show on aswell. It was a good way to spend the day.

Friday 19th Short drive today only 200Kms to overnight in Winton.

Saturday 20th Spent the morning at the Waltzing Matilda centre and the OPAL place in Winton. For anyone heading this way I would recommend for them to stop and have a look. A lot of history and a great museum of old trains, cars, trucks, and planes very easy to spend time here for the whole family. Winton is also the start of the Dinosaur trail. We’ll do that one later.

Left Winton for an overnight Mt Isa (450Kms). We were going to stay with workmates in Cloncurry, but he was in Fiji that week. Stopped at the Blue Healer pub for a coldie on the way.

post-742-144598735898_thumb.jpg

Sunday 21st Couldn’t get much sleep in Mt Isa for some reason, So an early start at 4 AM saw us having breakfast at Camowheel (200kms) on Qld/NT border.

post-742-144598735901_thumb.jpg

After crossing into the NT there is not much to see except long flat straight roads, heaps of cattle and road trains. The speed limit in NT is 130 KPH so you can put the foot down a bit so it is not so boring. Pulled up the Barkley Homestead roadhouse for a break, then onto the 3 ways to fuel up. We were going to stay in Tennant Creek but as it was still early we decided to push on and stop at the Daly Waters Roadhouse. 1000 Ks today.

post-742-144598735904_thumb.jpg

Monday 22nd Saw us arrive at our destination (daughters place) in Darwin. This was to be our base for a week and from here we could do day trips to Litchfield National Park, Katherine Gorge and around Darwin. Well instead of staying a week we stayed 2 1/2weeks and our return trip was shortened, with us only staying for 4 days in Kakadu and a day at Mataranka. So the trip around the bottom of the Gulf will have to wait for another year.

Fishing up there was hit & miss, mainly miss as we missed the 8mtr tides and there isn't much water at low tide for land based, apart from fishing with 5-6mtr crocs dont impress me much. Another year another trip may be better.

Some pics of some of the places we saw and things that we done.

Dinner cruise on Darwin harbour

post-742-144598735907_thumb.jpg

Katherine Gorge

post-742-144598735915_thumb.jpg

Adelaide River cruise

post-742-144598735918_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading, Laurie.

Done this trip a few years ago and I was going to go back until the super kept nose diving. I realy enjoyed it but did find I should of sewn my pockets up so I couldnt get my hands in to get any money out, we went through heaps. Sometimes its a long way between sites to see but when you get there they are fantastic ay Laurie

Brought back some memories there Laurie.When i was last at stockmans hall of fame about 30 years ago I saw a switchboard from the old telephone exchange that I built when I was 21 made me feel old then.

Cheers

Ray

Same switchboard is still there, thought I had some pics from inside there but cannot find them atm, will post them when I do though.

The live show was of a bloke with his working Bullock Team, part of it was pulling large power poles and loading them onto the dray. something you dont get to see these days, took me back as grandad was a bullock driver at Barcaldine.

Archived