Bass holding creeks in the Greater Brisbane Region

Maddez

Fishing has been pretty poor in all stretches of the Brisbane River recently, as water is still flowing down from the mountains in the Wivenhoe catchment. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any bass holding creeks and catchments in the greater brisbane and ipswich regions. I live in Karana Downs, so the closer to home the better, unless huge numbers inhabit a particular creek. I'm not asking for secret spots. :P Just somewhere else to fish for bass other than the Brisbane River. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'll generally be fishing off the land, but if you could still suggest any creeks which are only reachable via kayak or boat, that would be great for future exploring. :)

Thanks in advancee.

Dylan.

Mate I don't mean to sound harsh but you've got about buckleys chance. Best thing to do would be jump on google maps/earth/nearmap and start looking. You can find some really nice little spots that are rarely fished, the fish might not be what you are accustomed to but it is made up for by the locations. The ones that are only reachable by kayak/boat are usually the ones kept closest to the chest too ;)

Hey buddy. It depends how far you're willing to go for a fish I s'pose. Due to my location I mainly concentrate on the Pine Rivers catchment including the NP Dam and Kurwongbah Dam, and there's plenty of spots in this area to find a Bass, both on the dams and in the river/creeks. I also occassionaly go further north to the Stanley R which is about an hours drive, or not quite as far to the Caboolture River. To the south I sometimes go to the Albert and Coomera rivers, and/or Hinze or Maroon dams, but again they are over an hour or more drive for me. Closer for you...

I've never fished Wivenhoe and only fished Somerset once. They're not that far for me, maybe less than an hour, but the big dams don't interest me that much. If I want to fish an impoundment I go to north pine usually cos it's nice and close and I know it.

If I was in your location, apart from the Brissy River, I would probably be looking at Wivenhoe Dam and the creeks that run into it. The Bass that are stocked in the dam should be up in the creeks now, making them a target for you if you're land based.

I'd also look at the Logan/Albert/Coomera river systems, and maybe Hinze, Maroon, and Moogerah dams and their inflowing creeks. These places should be less than an hours drive for you.

Good luck :-)

-Steve.

mate living in karana downs is a great spot for you, most of the creeks feeding into the brisbane river between anstead and mount crosby have bass in them, just access can be a problem. If you're willing to do a little leg work with your rod you will be suprised what is pulled out of them. Check the creeks around tyamolum scout camp, they have produced well before for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, thanks so much guys. I never though of checking streams that run into bass dams hahaha. As for that scout camp, thats where I'm currently fishing, without any luck yet though. It'd be great to see one bass, just so I know that they are still there. Xil, how far up/down the creek were you catching bass?

Archived