Boat rod help

They are a great little reel but if you try and fish the 15kg drag over it you will destroy the reel.

They were built on the old TLD 10 specs and have a real drag of around 10kg max.

It has often been said that Shimano had the wrong specs on the reel right from the beginning.

They are perfectly suited for 6-10kg lines.

One thing to remember is they have a woefully slow retieeval rate of about 4.1 to 1 i think from memory so if you are wanting to use it out on the reefs you will get a very sore arm using it with snapper leads or trying to jig with it.

With all that being said I have caught many small blacks,sharks,tuna,large cobia and kings,mackeral ect on them over the years and they do stand up to a good punishment with the correct line classes and drag settings.

Thanks for that lance that's interesting , well te reason in looking is that I'm heading out bottom bashing the cape of Morton next weekend with a mate and they've been getting into some good cobia and some decent cod and that's probably the heaviest reel i own so without the

Money to buy anything heavier im

Just after a rod to match it that I can use again when I eventually buy a tinny, so you would say put it on a 6-10 kg rod and run 25 lb over it ? Only problem with that is I'm not gonna stop anything decent out there on 25lb lol

If you can still get you hands on one daiwa grandwave 12-40lb rods are an awesome offshore bait fishing rod. Super powerful butt but ridiculously soft tip make them great for bait fishing using braid and circlcle hooks. They are a bit too soft for using heavy sinkers in deeper water though.

Archived