Barra...

Dazzamcgee

I have heard of barra in the passage. But would like photographic proof. With the salmon here i would not be overly surprised.

When i was Noosa last the number of Barra photo's from the Noosa River up in the wall at Davo's has increased a lot.

Angus

ellicat wrote:

I saw it on another site. No, I don't believe it.

[Thanks to xerebus;) ]

There's a few things that don't add up about it.

Skeptical hey?, as Dazza said, what do you know?

Might be Chaz again :P . Someone had to make the joke.

Joel ;)

Post edited by: obone, at: 2007/07/20 16:09

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Angus there is a pic of the barra...

Its a decent fish but it looks alot like a jew......I'm not very familiar with barra...

hey dazz can you scan the pic and post it? we dont get that paper out here in the wild west,or do they have a site where we can check it out?

The guy is clearly standing in his boat. The paper (so I've read) said that it was caught in a landing net.

Why would you bother with the lip gripper if you'd just pulled a barra out of your landing net ?

Also it looks like he's very close to shore (beached even). I don't castnet (because I can't) but would you be castnetting from your boat at the ramp ?

Seems too suss to me. But I am sceptical and could be wrong.

The pic is definately of a barra, (2nd gill plate) but it looks fake, like it was superimposed or something.

Also in the bottom left of the picture there is a line that is a different colour. bit suss to me but u never know, it might be real

Guys there was one caught in the logan not that long ago. Im not saying its real or fake. But i still rest my laurels on the threadfin situation. In most fishing literature, barra and king threaddies are meant to have the same home range, so hey why not a barra in the passage.

P.S. I know the barra in the logan was meant to have been from a farm. But the point stands that it could survive no worries and be healthy enough to hunt and get caught.

Angus

jeff f wrote:

dave downie just had the same pic on his fishing report on the news, he said that there was another smaller one caught by a bit further up the passage too

He also has a pic on his site of a girl holding a little one from Raby Bay!
/>http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/

The article in the paper says in the caption that the barra was weighed in at a tackle shop:huh:

The plot thickens.....and I hope my scepticism is proved wrong.

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/07/20 20:15

I'm with Angus on this one. No one ever expected Threadfin to be caught as far south as Brisbane. Even when I tell people now most still don't beleive me until I show them proof.

I remember when I did my first couple of reports on them of Jordan and I's catches a couple of years back on ausfish. People were sceptical, possiblly because we were only 14-15 and there had been no other reports of them from the Brisbane River prior to that.

It was only after I did a number of reports on them and more people began catching and reporting them when people started thinking that it might not be bullsh!t after all.

There had been a couple of reports of them being sighted and caught on the odd occasion in the shallow saltwater lakes around Noosa. It looks like the same maybe happening with Barra, a few turning up here and there but not in numbers. If they are anything like Threadfin (which they are) then I'd say give them a couple of years and they will turn up in numbers.

Until then, long live the Salmon!

Troy

I'm not at all that convinced.

Coming from the tropics (where it is nice & warm).

I have caught alot of Barra over the years, both as pro fishing & rec fishing.Never realy caught any in the cooler months with water temps below 18-20 deg. Last week-end out in the bay the water temp was 12-14deg . At these temps the Barra are def in shutdown mode and are not feeding.

Not to say they are not here ,but if this fish was caught in mid Summer, I would be more inclined to belive it.To catch a Barra anywhere north of Rocky in winter (June/July) is a rare catch , even in the nets.Thats my 2 bobs worth anyway.

Lozzel wrote:

I'm not at all that convinced.

Coming from the tropics (where it is nice & warm).

I have caught alot of Barra over the years, both as pro fishing & rec fishing.Never realy caught any in the cooler months with water temps below 18-20 deg. Last week-end out in the bay the water temp was 12-14deg . At these temps the Barra are def in shutdown mode and are not feeding.

Not to say they are not here ,but if this fish was caught in mid Summer, I would be more inclined to belive it.To catch a Barra anywhere north of Rocky in winter (June/July) is a rare catch , even in the nets.Thats my 2 bobs worth anyway.

I'm going to say something very unlikely and say, maybe it was foul hooked? :P .

Troy

Archived