Big bull sharks

Baker

Hey guys just wondering if i can get some tips for catching some big bullies from shore (2m+). I just got my P Plates so i am able to drive down to the brissy river at night. Just wondering what type of gear i would need, what bait and any other tips would be very helpful.

Cheers fellas!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U dont need anything too serious, a spin reel (6000), or overhead (tld 15, or some sort of shimano calcutta)with 500m of 30lb braid (for the big runs)with some 80lb leader and then about 1.5m or so of 150-200lb wire and then a 10/0 hook or maybe something abit smaller

This is what I would use..

Also a double hook rig on a piece of fresh water eel, down the mouth of the brissie.

Just my opinion- shark fishers, correct me if i'm worng

Cheers Anthony ;)

ps- the lighter u fish, the more fun it is :woohoo:

U dont need anything too serious, a spin reel (6000), or overhead (tld 15, or some sort of shimano calcutta)with 500m of 30lb braid (for the big runs)with some 80lb leader and then about 1.5m or so of 150-200lb wire and then a 10/0 hook or maybe something abit smaller

This is what I would use..

Also a double hook rig on a piece of fresh water eel, down the mouth of the brissie.

Just my opinion- shark fishers, correct me if i'm worng

Cheers Anthony ;)

ps- the lighter u fish, the more fun it is :woohoo:

Nothing too serious?? haha wait intil you catch a 1m bully on 3lb with a 1000 sized reel. then you can talk ;) haha

A good tip would be you can't target sharks over 1.5m

Just out of curiosity, can you please link me to the legislation which states this?

Generally speaking, sharks are not a protected species. My understanding was that you can't target Great Whites because they are a protected species.

The same cannot be said for any of the 3-4+ metre sharks we target.

Otherwise, you shouldn't be targeting big barramundi, murray river cod, jungle perch or flathead either.

A good tip would be you can't target sharks over 1.5m

Just out of curiosity, can you please link me to the legislation which states this?

Generally speaking, sharks are not a protected species. My understanding was that you can't target Great Whites because they are a protected species.

The same cannot be said for any of the 3-4+ metre sharks we target.

Otherwise, you shouldn't be targeting big barramundi, murray river cod, jungle perch or flathead either.

terry, i have had this arguement so many times hear its not funny, i, in the end gave up the fight just so it didnt get out of controll. i have spoken to dpi officers and they have all stated that you can target bigger sharks with the intent of release,....

Hi

You can take one sharks up to 1.5 m max with exceptions of:

Great white sharks No take

Grey nurse shark No take

Sawfish No take

Speartooth sharks No take

No where does it say you can't actually catch them (or target them). As far as I know you just can't take them home.

The law regarding sharks over 1.5m is very black and white.

You cannot TAKE a shark over 1.5m and the definition of TAKE under fisheries legislation also includes Attempt To Take.

Incidental capture of a shark over 1.5m is fine though as long as it is released unharmed.

Where things will get a bit iffy is if the inspector at the time deems your gear as too excessive for catching small sharks so he may be a prick and book you for targetting oversized sharks.

Like a lot of other stupid laws it comes down to the individual inspectors interpretations and mood on the day.

You cannot TAKE a shark over 1.5m and the definition of TAKE under fisheries legislation also includes Attempt To Take.

Incidental capture of a shark over 1.5m is fine though as long as it is released unharmed.

Where things will get a bit iffy is if the inspector at the time deems your gear as too excessive for catching small sharks so he may be a prick and book you for targetting oversized sharks.

Like a lot of other stupid laws it comes down to the individual inspectors interpretations and mood on the day.

There is your answer, as Madmullet said...

This is what I was basing my comment on Terry with it being previously discussed on this forum. In my view the gear required to land a large shark is very different to the gear required to land a smaller shark, that is the point of difference between sharks and the other species mentioned, the gear required for them is not too different, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Look we're talking about Bull Sharks here, they're not exactly endangered and I personally feel it is ridiculous to lump them in the same basket as Great Whites and Grey Nurse Sharks, but the fisheries officer on the day might not see it that way, that's all I'm saying. As Lance has already mentioned it really comes down to the mood of the officer on the day and how they want to interpret the legislation.

you can legally target large sharks, you just cant TAKE any over 1.5m the legislation is quite clear

you can TAKE one under 1.5m except for the 4 NO TAKE species

No Jeff that is very wrong.

All sharks over 1.5m become a regulated fish and you cannot take or attempt to take a regulated fish.

JarrydA, I'm more than fully aware of what the size and bag limits are for the species I fish for, and use for bait. That was not my question.

Lance, I don't mean this personally mate, just trying to nut out something in my head.

I appreciate there are laws, and like every piece of legislation there is usually multiple ways to read it. This is why we have professionals, (lawyers). Just like my job requires me, as a qualified accountant to interpret and place professional judgement on Australian Accounting Standards and Australian Auditing Standards (both of which have force of law btw), lawyers and those who enforce the laws place their professional judgement in legislation. As such, I can understand it is open to a little interpretation.

Now, I'm no lawyer. I'm an accountant.

Per the Fisheries act, the definition of take is:

take fisheries resources includes—

(a) catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and

(B) attempt to catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or

land; and

© land (from a boat or in another way), bring ashore or

tranship.

In targeting large sharks, I would argue I am neither taking (literally or attempting to take) them. I would say part c is a possibility depending on your views, but only for the purposes of removing a hook and releasing.

Let's assume for one moment that me targeting big sharks is illegal as this requires me to take a fish.

So, I can't target sharks over 1.5m, becuase they are a regulated fish, and you believe that fits in with the definition of 'take', even though your intention is to release. In which case, fair enough targeting sharks over 1.5m is illegal.

Similarly, this means you cannot target snapper or any other fish once you have reached your bag limit, regardless of your desire to C&R.

So...

My question to you, if you may so please explain to me.

Bream have a bag limit of 5.

Australian Bass have a bag limit of 2.

ABTs, KFTs, all rely on you bringing in live fish to a weigh in. On the same assumption I cannot target large sharks because this is "taking" a regulated fish, they should all either release a fish PRIOR to fishing for an upgrade, or stop fishing once they have reached their bag limits.

Now, I don't understand this, because the tournaments go on. I fail to see how such a publicised set of fishing tournaments, one of which has a national TV show with 4?, 5?, 6? series can exist whilst publicly portraying an illegal activity.

If you can please explain that one, I would be very thankful :)

JarrydA, I'm more than fully aware of what the size and bag limits are for the species I fish for, and use for bait. That was not my question.

Lance, I don't mean this personally mate, just trying to nut out something in my head.

I appreciate there are laws, and like every piece of legislation there is usually multiple ways to read it. This is why we have professionals, (lawyers). Just like my job requires me, as a qualified accountant to interpret and place professional judgement on Australian Accounting Standards and Australian Auditing Standards (both of which have force of law btw), lawyers and those who enforce the laws place their professional judgement in legislation. As such, I can understand it is open to a little interpretation.

Now, I'm no lawyer. I'm an accountant.

Per the Fisheries act, the definition of take is:

take fisheries resources includes—

(a) catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and

(B) attempt to catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or

land; and

© land (from a boat or in another way), bring ashore or

tranship.

In targeting large sharks, I would argue I am neither taking (literally or attempting to take) them. I would say part c is a possibility depending on your views, but only for the purposes of removing a hook and releasing.

Let's assume for one moment that me targeting big sharks is illegal as this requires me to take a fish.

So, I can't target sharks over 1.5m, becuase they are a regulated fish, and you believe that fits in with the definition of 'take', even though your intention is to release. In which case, fair enough targeting sharks over 1.5m is illegal.

Similarly, this means you cannot target snapper or any other fish once you have reached your bag limit, regardless of your desire to C&R.

So...

My question to you, if you may so please explain to me.

Bream have a bag limit of 5.

Australian Bass have a bag limit of 2.

ABTs, KFTs, all rely on you bringing in live fish to a weigh in. On the same assumption I cannot target large sharks because this is "taking" a regulated fish, they should all either release a fish PRIOR to fishing for an upgrade, or stop fishing once they have reached their bag limits.

Now, I don't understand this, because the tournaments go on. I fail to see how such a publicised set of fishing tournaments, one of which has a national TV show with 4?, 5?, 6? series can exist whilst publicly portraying an illegal activity.

If you can please explain that one, I would be very thankful :)

An accountant who can't count - Bream are 20 ;) hahah. but definitely think it's an interesting point of contention for bass!

Just for the record Terry, KFT's are catch, photo and release so are well within the law. The Bream bag limit is defined as a combined total of 30 for Yellowfin, Pikey and Tarwhine so once again the tournies are well within the rules there. I don't understand how they can get away with the Bass though except for the almighty $$$$.

EDIT: you got in before me :)

Hi Terry.

The Take definitions you posted are the correct ones and (B) is the ruling that applies to deliberately targeting a regulated fish with a max size limit.

It is a clear and precise definition of the current shark laws.

Something that a lot of people on here forget to think about is the law is not written and enacted for people who like to C&R,that is a personal choice that every angler decides upon for them self.

Because someone likes to practice C&R that does not change their obligations to the law.

A maximum size limit means you cannot legally take or attempt to take them over that size.

Bag limits or more commonly referred to in the fisheries act as Quotas allows for a certain amount of fish to be kept.

Once your quota is filled it is illegal to Take any more and that also means attempt to take in the meaning of the word Take.

Now with these highly publicised comps they constantly break the law once they begin on upgrades but it is something that the various state fisheries have always allowed but if you or I were caught doing the same thing we would get busted.

Because we have great mixed species fisheries its a hard one to prove that you were not also targeting another species at the same time like Bass and Yellas that we have in a lot of our waterways

Archived