AFO Social One Day Event :)

Manni79

Hey Guys & Gals

I have been reading through the feedback posted about a monthly social and looks like a fair few people are keen to put something together. Khoi i know you have had a crack at this and Ted i saw that you are keen to get involved and i reckon it's a great idea.

I guess here's a good place to work out a type of event, the who, what, when and where ???

I think throwing in 10 or 20 bucks would be fair. The money can go towards a BBQ, a small prize and the remainder towards AFO (Have taken part of the idea from Ted)

I have heaps of brand new lures and i'm willing to cough up $100 bucks worth of lures to contribute to the first event to generate interest lol

Perhaps if people had unwanted fishing gear, yet in a good working condition, you could donate it to the prize pool? even 1 lure from 10 people would go a long way?

We could all get together, have a fish, a few laughs and someone walks away with bragging rights and maybe a small prize..... we can have a feed and relax in the arvo and call it a day???

Anyway would been keen to see what people think?

I'm keen. I still have a $100 valued price pack from Damiki sitting in my room - just been too busy with work and uni to set and organise another time for the bream social. plus the weather has been great lately too so that's always fun.

will definitely have to organise the bream social soon! although if this goes ahead first then all good

I'm keen. I still have a $100 valued price pack from Damiki sitting in my room - just been too busy with work and uni to set and organise another time for the bream social. plus the weather has been great lately too so that's always fun.

will definitely have to organise the bream social soon! although if this goes ahead first then all good

Let's just combine it Khoi - personally a Bream social is probably easiest to organise, can do weigh ins or measuring at the end, i guess i'm eluding to a boat event, but i'm sure we can rustle up a few deckie spots for non boaties

That's just my opinion

I'll be up for anything if i don't have to organise and i am free :)

I like the mini bucks style of event.

If you are dead keen on putting something back to afo for being the vessel to promote these events then maybe charge $10 per head...

40% total entry money to the winner.

20% second.

10% third.

10% lucky door.

20% to afo.

This way we would only need 10 people to make it viable (ie a prize is at the very least your money back)

In this way its not sheep stations, but like a mid week poker game it just adds a.little edge (and not to much for those that don't care about prizes).

I would suggest a different target species (length based for ease) different location each time.

This way you could do inshore, offshore, freshwater or whatever event from time to time.

The afo event calendars would be useful organising these and confirmed attendees receive a notification if there are any changes to plan.

My two "unofficial cents"

Angus

I think from an organisational perspective regards catering we need to have a certain number of dollars as compulsory payment. In the past the BBQ has not been well attended and someone usually ends up catering for everybody. It does not cost much to put on sausages. I have a suitable BBQ for the events. Maybe $3 or $5 gives you a Sausage and a mid strength beer.

Just tossing this up - I know we all have our usual fishing buddies but maybe we can make it a rule that boaties put up deckies spots to non-boaties. This way it is more inclusive and ensures social interaction with new members

I like this idea considering i dont have a boat ;):)

i like chucking lures at bream its fun, but not everyone does, would be good to see other species involved on some sort of rotation,maybee follow afo's fish of the month(add the winner to the entries), or even old school fishing club style of total weight or total length of bag, species doesnt matter.

is it going to be discriminatory :blush: lure only :S or can the bait fishos join in ;) i like to combine the two B)

mmmmm :woohoo: idea....an actual afo based fishing club.

Great ideas being thrown around, I reckon we should reinstate the last bream social that didn't go ahead due to weather issues, Redcliffe. Handy location, relatively local, Queens beach logistically is probably better for a large crowd, those with larger boats can launch at Scarborough and come down. Not to keen on the winner takes all concept however, but prefer Gus's idea of:

If you are dead keen on putting something back to afo for being the vessel to promote these events then maybe charge $10 per head...

40% total entry money to the winner.

20% second.

10% third.

10% lucky door.

20% to afo.

This would work.

Also if its going to be a one species event, maybe have a rogue species, for example, Redcliffe and Bream have Snapper as a rogue species, Jacobs Well and flathead have Whitting as a rogue species etc (but not jacobs well as its a hole).

I reckon bait should be allowed, there's always a lot of new members who have no clue about lures and soft plastics. Probably have a "species of the day" for the main prize but allow other species for smaller prize. That way everyone will get to see a variety of fish caught in the area and if it's a location someone is not familiar with it's a good opportunity to see what others have pulled out of the water nearby. For example I've never fished redcliff but I know from afo reports that it's good for flatties, bream and snapper . I've never caught a bream on a hb or a snapper on any kind of lure or plastic but I know others do it easily.......it would be cool to see what afo members can catch around the area.

I reckon bait should be allowed, there's always a lot of new members who have no clue about lures and soft plastics. Probably have a "species of the day" for the main prize but allow other species for smaller prize. That way everyone will get to see a variety of fish caught in the area and if it's a location someone is not familiar with it's a good opportunity to see what others have pulled out of the water nearby. For example I've never fished redcliff but I know from afo reports that it's good for flatties, bream and snapper . I've never caught a bream on a hb or a snapper on any kind of lure or plastic but I know others do it easily.......it would be cool to see what afo members can catch around the area.

And this would be a great opportunity for people like yourself who are bait fishos to decky for someone like myself who fishes only lures to learn a few hints and tips and maybe get onto a few firsts for the day so I personally think lure only would be good for that reason if you guys are keen on learning the lure fishing way :)

And this would be a great opportunity for people like yourself who are bait fishos to decky for someone like myself who fishes only lures to learn a few hints and tips and maybe get onto a few firsts for the day so I personally think lure only would be good for that reason if you guys are keen on learning the lure fishing way :)

well said guys makes sense

hell yeah you can decky for me! :woohoo: I use a lot of lures but hardly ever catch anything and switch to bait most trips cos I have no confidence in what I'm doing.......If someone shows me the right way then I'd be more likely to stick it out

hell yeah you can decky for me! :woohoo: I use a lot of lures but hardly ever catch anything and switch to bait most trips cos I have no confidence in what I'm doing.......If someone shows me the right way then I'd be more likely to stick it out

Fine by me but I will be taking my boat as it will be ready in a few weeks ;)

I would like to see a weekend comp/social gathering that is run old school for the sole purpose or raising funds for AFO just like we did many years ago for our fishing clubs.

It could be run like the fundraiser comps of yesteryear where no money was wasted on prizes but a Perpetual trophy that has the winners names engraved on it and the winner was given a small replica to take home.

Everything today revolves around cash and goods prizes but a social weekend get together and perpetual trophies are just as good as a money comp.

Prizes can be donated or purchased and used as raffles and a lucky door prize only to raise some extra cash.

BBQ sizzles and cold drinks ect can be sold to raise more money at the event and even possibly a AFO volunteers committee arranging full catering for a weekend.

If things were promoted as a social funds raising gathering with no $500 prizes people will be more inclined to spend time sitting around together and not be to concerned with staying back from fishing a session so they can do their bit of volunteering on the BBQ.

I would also like to see a weigh in with a set of scales so the people who do keep a feed of fish are welcomed to weigh them in and not be made feel like they should hide them and not say anything for fear of snide remarks from C&R people.

These digital style comps these days are to be honest very boring.

I like to C&R but I also like an occasional feed but most of all I love to see fish on scales at a fishing comp.

Another option could be a perpetual comp at NPD over a weekend.

I am sure we have enough permit holders here to get enough boats for a weekend on NPD with up to 4 people per boat.

We could have a BBQ lunch at the ramp on the Sat and BBQ weigh in Sunday.

A token fee like $20 per head for the weekend and a couple of bux for a sausage sanger at the ramp.

There's a hell of a lot of members here who would love a weekend on NPD chasing Bass and Yellas and redlcaw and I think the weekend would be a great success and could be run the same weekend every year as a perpetual comp.

NPD being electric only is a cheap weekend for both fishermen and boat owners,minimal organisation needed and minimal cost to run it.

I'm up for this, personally I would prefer to keep it lure only and see some of the bait guys paired up with lure fishos to give them a better than decent chance of getting onto some fish but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as we can get something going and can get some cash donated back to AFO. So ummm, who's got a decky spot? :blush:

I am personally happy to have it be lure only but the whole idea of a social is to be inclusive. i think we should encourage people to use lures but it should not exclude bait. Over time with exposure to lures most people will embrace the challenge and activity of using lures.

I agree with changing up the species. I do not think prizes are that important really. At the end of the day we are fishing for fun and doing it together to socialize.

Agree with Lance - NPD would be a great venue for an event. I reckon there would be at least 10 permits in AFO so it should be a good event. We can buy in bulk shrimp for the event so most people should get onto a bass or yelowbelly.

If this is going to go ahead it needs to a fixed day each month. People over time will work around these dates. I think on of the issues in the past with the socials is that the date was hard to choose.

I have not been a member of any other fishing club. Maybe we can pull out the best bits from their events and apply them.

how about entry fee of 1 lure winner takes all

i like this idea .

there are a lot of other good ideas in this thread too .

i think a lure and 10 $ donation is the go ,cover some sausages ,bread ,sauce and a beer.then the rest to afo .

winners get lures .

or

lure and 10 $ donation that goes to afo and we bring our own food, beer, bbq ,pologa ,etc

winners get lures .

some people bring the bbq's and pologa's etc ,the non bringers get to cook and swap around and take turns .

we will need boatless people that are good with lures and soft plastics,some of us have boats but are no good with lures and plastics.

we will need boatless people that are good with lures and soft plastics,some of us have boats but are no good with lures and plastics.

blokes that usually yak fish may want to be boat deckys for it

I'd be happy to go decky for a baito, not claiming to be a gun lure fisho but know enough to get someone started out.

I'd be happy to go decky for a baito, not claiming to be a gun lure fisho but know enough to get someone started out.

You look like Ellicat but

I like Lances idea for braging rights only on the trophy and proceeds go to AFO its a social after all and we have regular comps during the year for the bigger events, the only thing is lure only i'm out i don't like it as i go fishing to relax and just soak baits but thats just me.

Maybe there can be diferent events each time to be lure only and bait next time

I like Lances idea for braging rights only on the trophy and proceeds go to AFO its a social after all and we have regular comps during the year for the bigger events, the only thing is lure only i'm out i don't like it as i go fishing to relax and just soak baits but thats just me.

Maybe there can be diferent events each time to be lure only and bait next time

Mixing it up is a good idea, maybe bream social lures only, but then perhaps chasing maybe fish in the bay or offshore we then use bait.

This may work well for guys with bigger boats a well as they may be a deckie for a social that may require a small boat and then offer a deckie spot to others that can't fish the bay or offshore as well?

Why try and dictate to people how they can fish in a social comp and get together as that will only stop a number of people entering.

Anyone should be free to use what ever they like to fish with and if anyone is concerned another method may out fish you,well go and learn that other method and make yourself a better fisherman. :P:P:P

Why not have a bit of fun with it? At event headquarters have a bucket with commonly caught species for the set area being fished and draw the target species for the event lucky dip style, bait or lure can be toss of a coin. It's a social after all and it could be interesting to see what happens when people are thrown out of their comfort zone. It's all too easy to go out and do what you always do but I like a challenge and it's not too hard to bring a selection of gear to cover the possibilities. Just a thought.

Why try and dictate to people how they can fish in a social comp and get together as that will only stop a number of people entering.

Anyone should be free to use what ever they like to fish with and if anyone is concerned another method may out fish you,well go and learn that other method and make yourself a better fisherman. :P:P:P

It's not dictating it's an opinion offered Lance ;)

some people purely choose to bait fish coz they haven't had much success lure fishing, so pairing people up for a lure only session was just a thought and helps them learn a few skills

Works the same with bait and learning specific types of techniques

Either way it doesn't bother me - i don't mind using bread x 40's for Bream or bait for other species ;);)

Archived