Boating safety regulations

Brian D

Hi Webby

I was just looking and can't find any info on the site about PDF's and the water zones distinguishing between smooth, partially smooth and open water.

Also flares, lights, paddles, markers etc.

Specifically I am looking at self inflating life jackets rated PDF1. Are these the ones for crossing bars?

Can we get a check list or something or maybe just a link to Qld Waterways or whoever it is?

You might already have one but silly me can't find it.

From 1st April 2006 if you are crossing a bar in an open boat under 4.8m then you must wear a properly fitted PFD.

If you are under the age of 12 then you must wear a properly fitted PFD when ever the same boat as above is underway.

It gets a bit long winded about inflatable bouyancy vests as you need to be over 40kg in weight etc. Full details are available in this Q and A sheet.

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb2bbe0e46900ba/Pdf_lifejackets_faq.pdf

Personally I think I am going to invest in a couple of the round the neck inflatables as they are so thin now its like fishing with a rolled up towel just draped round your neck.

The self inflating ones certainly seem more comfortable than my $20 brick style jackets. They seem to me like the better option if things go amiss crossing a bar, but im not sure how they would go if you had to spend a long time in the water.

There may be some more up to date tests out now, but when i looked into it about a year ago the best i could find was that some are tested to 12 hours. If things went wrong offshore and I was unlucky enough to have to spend longer than this floating around in the water, I dont think i would be too happy to find my trusty PFD deflating. I suppose that is only a problem if i would last that long before the sharks found me.

Sorry about the delay but I've had connection troubles.

I was wondering because I was looking at a PFD1 inflatable vest for $65.00. Seamed like a good price.

Too late now I bought it. It's OK, semi comfy and way way better then the bulky yellow ones.

Yeah mate still available and I can get as many as we want. I get em from work.

I'll bring it to somerset on Sat and if anyone wants one I can sort it for em. But be warned the $65 was my price - they may cost $69.95. If I get a discount you get one.

I bought my RFD PFD type 1 for $115 from Sundown Marine for ABT tournaments and the like. Awesome PFD's I wear them all day long and hardly realise it's there. It's also good to wear in the kayak since it's not interfering when you move and twist around.

$70 is a good price for them. I would prefer the manual inflation ones because if you happen to fall in the drink 5m from the bank the auto inflations are gornski. Though say if you were in an accident and was knocked out in the water you're not always going to float.

Troy

Archived