Looking at buying a decent socket set. Need recommendations.

dhess

Have always just relied on a few rubbish quality sockets, shifters, spanners and a ratsh!t. Most from supercheap auto. :blush:

As I find myself increasingly tinkering more and more with all kinds of mechanical things I need to get something pretty decent that will last for many years. I would only use it fortnightly at most but am known to abusing my tools so it has to be decent quality.

Was thinking along the lines of sidchrome (I understnad they are not what they used to be and made in China), kinchrome, stanley, bahco etc. Don't want to stretch the budget to snapon etc.

Does anyone have any good/bad experiences they would like to share?

Also what kind of items are useful useless to have in a kit?

i agree sidchrome gear is not what it used to be, PITA to get replacement especially when it's the weekend and you're in the middle of something. my old man has his old school sidchrome stuff and it's nothing like what they sell now, new stuff is lighter and you can really feel the flex in the tools.

my mate uses the "repco" branded tools (after breaking a few sidchrome ratchet spanners, etc.), he seems to think they are rebadged branded ones. perk is that if they fail you can walk in to any repco and swap it then and there.

i have some old school no name hand me downs, seems okay.

metrinch is the ducks nuts in spanners i reckon . Pricey but you dont round any bolt heads as they run on the flats of the bolt head not the corners

Had a set of them when i used to play around with my old cars and they were awesome

I wish i found the low life who took my full set of Metrinch sockets and spanners from under the house :angry:

If not Kingchrome are the best value for money .

I also have a cheapo Superworks 1/2 " socket set with ratchet and breaker bar that i have abused to hell and not broken yet .

I wouldn't bother with 1/4 or 3/8 gear as the ratchets strip out easy

my sidchrome sets have seen plenty of use at my work and havnt failed me at all yet. and on a side note i find my combined open ended and wratchet spanner set (jbs) the most usefull thing i have for regular and repetitive tightening/loosening lots of nuts and bolts on the big jobs.

i have had my metrinch set since the late 80s its friggin awsome ive replaced the 10 mm a few times but only due to loss not breakage they have had a very hard life and are still great i do have a varied bunch of other spanners etc for those times a metrinch just wont work but they dont see much use i also have a super cheap long socket set that ive found good its seen a bit of rattle gun work and has held in so far i even have a snapon screwdirver set and its good but i cant see the point of the hype

As others have said it is worth having some metrinch gear around. They do metric and imperial in the one spanner/socket and great for the rounded stuff. I have sidchrome and kinchrome gear but all my own gear is kinchrome.

If you do need some spanners for rounded nuts supercheap do a real cheap set for $10. I keep them in the boat and on the bike as a backup. Haven't failed yet.

Archived