Which Car to Use to Tow?

Jords

Hey guys, thought I might throw this one out to you guys. Looking at getting a boat at some stage in the next 3 months, something in the 3.7-4.2m range, more than like 3.7-3.8m. However, I need a way of towing this thing! Was contemplating getting a tow kit installed on the man mobile ('08 tiida) which has a capacity of 600kg unbraked, 1000kg braked.

However, mum threw out the idea of putting it on her sheilawagon (nissan Dualis), which is slimly better, with a towing capacity of 685kg unbraked and 1200kg braked.

So, in short, will either of those be sufficient? And will I need that extra power? (or at least, is it worth the sacrifice of unrestricted access to the tiida, to slightly limited access of the dualis, and losing all dignity while I'm driving it?) :silly:

Cheers guys

what dignity?

Even a glass boat in that size will be fine behind either car. Just need to remember that the overtaking lanes on hills will be for the cars going past you. You will do the limit no worries, just lose a bit of momentum on hills, like a loaded truck does. And that goes for increased stopping distance and more dangerous if you swerve at speed.

what dignity?

Even a glass boat in that size will be fine behind either car. Just need to remember that the overtaking lanes on hills will be for the cars going past you. You will do the limit no worries, just lose a bit of momentum on hills, like a loaded truck does. And that goes for increased stopping distance and more dangerous if you swerve at speed.

So basically just drive like a grandpa?

maybe I should be considering a skeeter :whistle:

should be ok .

i tow a 14 foot fiberglass boat fully loaded with camping gear about with a 12 foot tinny on top of the glass boat behind a 2.2 l auto Mazda wagon .when i say fully loaded it take 2 trips in boat boats to get all the people and gear across to wavebrake island .u just have to drive according to the weight load ,just like tomca said .

hey davo sounds like your overloading your boat trailer just a bit..do you have insurance??i bet if you had a accident they would wipe your insurance.-overloaded boat trailer :ohmy:

its more a room thing than weight ,home made boat trailer up to 1.02 ton capacity.1 ton tow bar,its more when u add people and gear to a boat safe = more trips .

1.02 ton unbraked? Doesn't sound right. I was under the impression the limit was 750kg then needed brakes, and even then some cars aren't even rated to tow that much unbraked.

Could be wrong, someone up with the regs hopefully will clarify. IF I'm right you might cop an expensive ticket if you get caught Davo.

My 1.3l Sierra towed Kurt ski which was 600kg (2/3 of my cars weight) up soft sand so I reckon u should be fine with the tida there isn't much weight in a tinny anyway and also just make sure you put all your gear eskies etc in the car to save weight on the trailer and you should be fine

its more a room thing than weight ,home made boat trailer up to 1.02 ton capacity.1 ton tow bar,its more when u add people and gear to a boat safe = more trips .

1.02 ton unbraked? Doesn't sound right. I was under the impression the limit was 750kg then needed brakes, and even then some cars aren't even rated to tow that much unbraked.

Could be wrong, someone up with the regs hopefully will clarify. IF I'm right you might cop an expensive ticket if you get caught Davo.

Yep thats right, just went through it with a millard micro caravan, if its over 750 kgs it has to be braked.. Otherwise no insurence..

M there isn't much weight in a tinny anyway and also just make sure you put all your gear eskies etc in the car to save weight on the trailer and you should be fine

Beg to differ.

You will be surprised how much your tinny will weigh if you put it over the weighbridge.

4 metre quinny hornet bare hull is 160 kg

trailer to suit the same.

30hp 2 stroke 60kg

or 4 stroke 90kg.

plus battery

fuel tank

floor and cast deck

seats

live well

leccy

fishing tackle

esky and ice.

Also noticed no one has mentioned draw bar weight which is just as important as towing capacity.

My 4.3m dam tinny weighs in at well over 650kg with batteries and leccies so would be right on the limit with fishing gear and shrimp tank full.

The hull with floor and trailer with spare wheel and leccy winch are 400kg alone.

Any tinny over 4.5m is getting very close to the 750kg limit when fully loaded and very few Dealers will point it out to you at point of sale because a braked trailer will add another 6 or 7 hundred onto the total price.

Cheers

Ray

Yep thats right, just went through it with a millard micro caravan, if its over 750 kgs it has to be braked.. Otherwise no insurence..

yep u are right guys .my bad i was looking at the wrong paper work (better get my eyes checked )was looking at the van rego not the boat trailer.van braked 1.02 ton ,boat 750 kg un braked .same as a small box trailer .

yeah i have seen time and time again on a busy day the little front wheel drives struggling to get up wet slipery boat ramps as the weight is being pulled off the front axle on take off squat added by the angle of the boat ramp and extra weight added to the rear of the vehicle from the ball hitch weight and your gear in the boot of the car. I would aim at some thing capable of pulling 750 kg as that will cover you across the lenght range you are looking at

M there isn't much weight in a tinny anyway and also just make sure you put all your gear eskies etc in the car to save weight on the trailer and you should be fine

Beg to differ.

You will be surprised how much your tinny will weigh if you put it over the weighbridge.

30hp 2 stroke 60kg

or 4 stroke 90kg.

plus battery

fuel tank

floor and cast deck

seats

live well

leccy

fishing tackle

esky and ice.

Also noticed no one has mentioned draw bar weight which is just as important as towing capacity.

My 4.3m dam tinny weighs in at well over 650kg with batteries and leccies so would be right on the limit with fishing gear and shrimp tank full.

The hull with floor and trailer with spare wheel and leccy winch are 400kg alone.

Any tinny over 4.5m is getting very close to the 750kg limit when fully loaded and very few Dealers will point it out to you at point of sale because a braked trailer will add another 6 or 7 hundred onto the total price.

Cheers

Ray

I spose every little bit counts in regards to weight I planning on keeping as much weight off the trailer as possible by carrying as much as I can in the car but definitely agree with brad front wheel drive may struggle on a slippery ramp

yeah i have seen time and time again on a busy day the little front wheel drives struggling to get up wet slipery boat ramps as the weight is being pulled off the front axle on take off squat added by the angle of the boat ramp and extra weight added to the rear of the vehicle from the ball hitch weight and your gear in the boot of the car. I would aim at some thing capable of pulling 750 kg as that will cover you across the lenght range you are looking at

Cheers mate. Honestly, can't see myself getting anything over 3.85m. Partially because that will be easiest to tow, also because that means I can run it (and still plane :silly: ) on a smaller motor, meaning I can get a new/better condition setup for similar price (ideally :blush: )

But thanks for the heads up, will keep it in mind should anything a bit bigger pop up!

what dignity?

So basically just drive like a grandpa?

Dunno if a Tida can reach that lofty height of performance......

I towed my dam boat, which of course weighs 749.5kg with unbraked trailer when fully loaded :whistle: with my front wheel drive 4cyl camry (dont ask what their unbraked towing capacity is) for donkeys years, and I use real boat ramps, where concrete is an option for woosies. Only place I ever came undone was Monduran while it was still low, on the steep point gravel ramp on a rainy day. Just couldn't pull it out of the hole.

• 5 months later...

Hi Ray, I am just curious about the stuff i found about public weightbridge. Do you have to pay to get the trailer weight? Pretty noob on this.

Richard

Beg to differ.

30hp 2 stroke 60kg

or 4 stroke 90kg.

plus battery

fuel tank

floor and cast deck

seats

live well

leccy

fishing tackle

esky and ice.

Cheers

Ray

Archived