Tugger Rock … tBox Rock? 26 May 2012.

kreel

This is our last weekend before we get back to work after a month off, so We were delighted to get the call from Mark for a fish the next morning. As you will see, this is a story about tBox and the Rock. It wasn't a real early start, we met at Tugg's at 5:30am and by 6 tBox had finished her inspection of the boat at the ramp.

post-2889-144598804536_thumb.jpg

The ride out was surprisingly good with the wind behind us and Mark timed the crossing of the bar immaculately. That is if there was a bar - it was a good ride all the way to the Rock.

post-2889-144598804544_thumb.jpg

We were on the Rock after first light, the wind was howling out of the west and it was COLD. We had to wait till late in the morning to see any real sunlight and get the blood flowing. But that didn't hold us back we had some fishing to do.

post-2889-144598804548_thumb.jpg

Spirits were real high and with them our expectations of a big day. We'd anchored up a little further east of the Rock than I was used to with Tugg, but he's the boss and he always knows what he's doing. tBox was the first cab off the rank with one of Tugg's favourite fish - a 60cm Spangled Emperor which was landed after a fight that put a grin on tBox's face.

post-2889-144598804552_thumb.jpg

Shortly after this and a nice cup of hot coffee we'd settled back into the pattern of increasing and decreasing the size of our leads to match the current that was going through at a pace. Tugg had put a balloon out with a nice size Gar hanging below it. We were having a chat about the antics on the site about who was the funniest and/or the most annoying when zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and the ballon had popped off and the Gar was now seafood. Tugg jumped on the Tyrnos and set the hooks while simultaneously calling tBox to the front and handing the tyros over. What a champion, it was obviously a big fish and Tugg wanted to put a smile on tBox's face. After a massive first run tBox had the fish headed to the boat and was groaning all the way … "I'm exhausted", "I might have to hand this one over", "I'm going to drop". Mark and I were eager to help while we sat on the esky laughing away as poor old Liesbeth moaned away. I don't think the smile would have been as big had we taken over the reel.

post-2889-144598804559_thumb.jpg

The beast put up a massive fight with some screaming runs, but so it should at 135 cm it was a beast.

post-2889-144598804565_thumb.jpg

As you can see it was hardly an even match, the Spaniard gave a massive height and reach advantage to tBox.

post-2889-144598804569_thumb.jpg

Expectations were up and another balloon was sent out, but it just wasn't meant to be. We each had a number of unstoppable hold true to their names. We even did a little drifting. The only other fish landed were another Spangly I landed at 45 cm and the only squire of the day that was a centimetre off legal.

On the way back we dropped in at Peel to check out the spot for the up-coming Wanderers trip. It looks like a beautiful spot, but I'll leave that to Tugg to report on.

post-2889-144598804574_thumb.jpg

Back at Tugg's and a last couple of photos before the carnage (of filleting) begins.

Here's tBox; that smile hasn't left her face all weekend. We're off on a charter next weekend and I pity the operator that has to live up the standards Tugger has set and tBox's expectations.

post-2889-144598804584_thumb.jpg

post-2889-14459880458_thumb.jpg

Another big thank you to Tugger for a great day out and some great fish. I think I'll still call it Tugger Rock though.

Another entertaining report Kreel - nice to meet you briefly today. Congrats T-box - awesome Spaniard. Bet the arms were sore after that!!! Mark puts his deckies onto quality fish yet again!!!!! Well done all concerned.

And congrats on your win today K.

That first run was epic it just kept going and must of stripped 150m of line on heavy drag pressure till Lisbaeth turned its head then the long battle to get all that line back along with the 60m of line that was set out to begin with.

After the fish got closer to the boat and started its head shakes i got more cofident it was going to be a spanaird then another few drag screaming runs and Lisbeth had her first ever spanish mackerel cruising into gaff range.

I was happy her cherry was popped on these fish and what a beast to start her tally a solid fish of around 16 kilos and 1.35m long Congrats Lisbeth(Tacklebox)

post-4390-144598805186_thumb.jpg

An action shot on the spanaird

post-4390-144598805193_thumb.jpg

yes gus

i got to find some pictures from when i was a kid /teen.the wreck and jetty where still complete back then and the cliff faces between platypus bay and horseshoe bay used to come further out.the cave is still at the cliff ,we remember it cause we where playing along there and little bro had a poo in the cave .lol

nice going kreel ,tbox and tugger a nice day out :)

nice spaniard

Archived