Brissy River Kayak 17/6/12

Surfingant

With the wind forecast not looking too great there had been no plans to get out for a fish this weekend, until I received a text from Bryan (Batman) last night seeing if I was keen for a morning yak session. Arrangements were made and we set off for Fisherman’s Island ramp at 5:30 and launched just after sun up. Bryan was testing out his new Lowrance DSI/Chartplotter combo fishfinder and was marking up some great baitballs and fish arches under the railway bridge but with nothing more than a few taps we moved on. We paddled our way out towards the river proper flicking our lures as we went at any decent structure in the hope of a bream or two, unfortunately they weren’t playing so we moved on. Setting off across the river we met up with the sunken wall and proceeded to flick our plastics all over it and started to get a few hits, shortly after Bryan was hooked up on his Squidgy Wriggler and after a short but spirited little tussle a healthy bream went into the net, due to me losing my measure to the depths we guesstimated at around 27fl so not too bad.

post-7024-144598812644_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598812651_thumb.jpg

I tried a couple of hardbodies and eventually decide to switch back to the armor shad and it paid off with a small bream having a crack at it, off the donut finally.

post-7024-144598812657_thumb.jpg

We moved around a rocky point and I came across a water outlet pipe that was flowing so definitely worth a cast and first go I was on again, this time a little better.

post-7024-144598812662_thumb.jpg

Another few casts later back in at that spot and sure enough bang another breambo likes the look of the armor shad, this was a very solid little fish and probably went about 27-28 fl as well but was quite a bit fatter than the others. As I was unhooking the bream and preparing for a photo Bryan hooks up to a much better fish which he quickly calls for a decent flathead, soon enough the net is slipped under a solid 50+ cm lizard, that’s more like it.

post-7024-144598812667_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598812672_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately that was the end of that spot even though we had a few more hits and hook-ups. We made the decision to start heading back as it was now getting towards lunch time and we had to be off the water then, we rigged up some hards a had a bit of a troll on the way back. Once across the river again and coming up into some shallower water my rod bent over, another nice little flattie absolutely inhaled my Damiki Saemi and probably high 40's.

post-7024-144598812681_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598812687_thumb.jpg

That’s all she wrote, it was great to get out again and it actually turned into a half decent little session after the slow start. Cheers for the offer Bryan I’m looking forward to getting out there again, hopefully with a little less wind though.

Cheers,

Ant.

Looks like a fun session guys - well done. Do you ever anchor and flick towards the wharves at all? And while I'm at it with questions - when fishing the river mouth do you need to plan your trip to fit in with the tides or is it easy enough (well maybe not easy, but possible ...) to come back in against and outgoing tide? Just asking while I think of it - sometime in the future I'm planning on joining the tupperware army.

Cheers Kelvin yeah it was a fun morning. Mate I never anchor the kayak for two reasons, the first being I only ever lure fish from it so anchoring up pretty much defeats the purpose. The second reason is that personally I don't feel safe under anchor whilst sitting on a piece of plastic that is nowhere near as fast as the other watercraft getting about, I want to be able to move or point the nose into waves as quickly as possible. On the subject of planning, I don't, I just go when I have a free day and don't really care what the tides are doing. When are you planning on getting your yak?

after yesterdays nightmare! I had to get out to de-stress! So I picked up Ant and headed straight for Maccas for a coffee! The sly dog starts chatting up the 17 year old cutey making out coffees!!!! :P One thing I love about Ant is that as soon as he climbs in the car he starts taliking it up and telling me that we are going to brain it today!!! :P I chuckle because my last three outings at the mouth have all ended in a big fat donut!!!

The new Elite 4 DSI exceeded my expectations!!! I have never really used a sounder on a yak and I have to say although it won't catch you fish the extra information it gives you certainly ups your confidence levels. Finding that hole behind a marker off the flats by boggy creek that was just swarming with bait was an inspiration. My Raymarine A50D is good but nothing like this new technology. A bait ball actually looks like one, structure is cleary indentifiable. The menu and adjusting the settings was a piece of piss and on only a 4 inch screen its just perfect for the yak.

I have never really targeted bream and Ant was great help in selecting the correct jighead and plastic for the conditions. I was stoked to get a few and that big flat head just topped off a great day.

Going fishing with a good mate, good weather and the best style of fishing in my opinion......yak fishing!

Till next time!

Bryan

Hi fella's ,

I saw you out there today,we tried over at mud with no luck.Didn't see anyone catch anything out there,but that didn't matter it was the best day on the water for me in a while.I have just started using plastics recently,I tried the break in the rock wall on the south side of mud had my squidgy chumped in half three times but just couldn't hook the little buggers in the gob.May need to practise some more.anyway had fun trying..I only caught a small bream and a whiting,so good on you guy's for your catch..

Cheers ..

Cheers Kelvin yeah it was a fun morning. Mate I never anchor the kayak for two reasons, the first being I only ever lure fish from it so anchoring up pretty much defeats the purpose. The second reason is that personally I don't feel safe under anchor whilst sitting on a piece of plastic that is nowhere near as fast as the other watercraft getting about, I want to be able to move or point the nose into waves as quickly as possible. On the subject of planning, I don't, I just go when I have a free day and don't really care what the tides are doing. When are you planning on getting your yak?

Good point about anchoring Ant - especially in that area, I hadn't thought about that!!!!! Unfortunately no immediate plans for one. Once I've finished building in (well, sort of) under the house and things are more organised to store it I'll start sweet-talking the missus ...

I have never really targeted bream and Ant was great help

Pretty sad situation if Ant was dishing out advice :ohmy:

+1 on the invite Ant, I was gonna offer you a special trip but now thinking twice :angry:

Good to see you both had a few rod bending fish for the effort.

Don't be like that Cletus :kiss:

how bad could it have been if someone with evil skillsets like Kreel got onto the idea :pinch:

Hey ease up on Ant, Tomca!

Any advice is good for me....I am the Russel Coyte of fishing!!!

how bad could it have been if someone with evil skillsets like Kreel got onto the idea :pinch:

and ant is the bloke who ate the bloke out of Man vs Wild :blush:

and ant is the bloke who ate the bloke out of Man vs Wild :blush:

BWAHAHAHAH! I must say that after our session yesterday he woofed down more Macca's than I have ever seen anyone eat before!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

Speaking of which I had Dehli belly from that triple quarter pounder Ant! Forest Lake Maccas suck!

Archived