Bream Yak Comp Outfit - Suggestions??

batman

With all these yak comps going off over the past few years and seeing my mates having so much fun I thought I would get involved too!

I made the decision early in the piece to buy middle of the road solid gear. The reason is that I do most of my fishing on the yak and I lost a very expensive Diawa outfit over the side that made me cry like a baby!!!! :sick:

So for the past few years I have had a Berkley Drop shot snapper outfit with a 4000 Sahara and a 7'2 2-4kg Starlo Stix tournamant Pro graphite 1 piece with a 2500 Symetre. Some may scoff but I have caught plenty of good fish on both outfits and they have copped a absolute hiding!! I will be getting these replaced soon but time now to get a 1000 real and 6'6"-6'8" rod for comp fishing. Maintaining my theory of middle of the road gear and getting some advice from SurfingAnt the contenders are so far:

Shimano Stradic FJ matched with a Shimano Raider Soft Plastics 2 piece 1-3kg - my prefered.

Shimano Stradic FJ matched with a Shimano Raider Lure Project - not sure which one?

Diawa - any suggestions

Abu - ?

All you yak comp bream freaks let me kow your thoughts?

Cheers

Bryan :)

hmm..

diawa gekka is very nice for the price, i think around 200 bucks.. it has a shallow spool with is awesome for having light line straight thru.. light and very very smooth..

the raiders are also awesome value, not a big fan of the fj's as they feel heavy and heavy to wide.

if u were gonna spend the extra money, i would look into the stradic ci4's as they are an awesome reel. very smooth and very light

and to match that with an even lighter rod, a Nordic Stage sharpshooter.. soft tip great for breaming, very light and very nice :D..

line wise FC sniper 2lb straight thru will do ya

and maybe look into get afew rod leashes ;)

I dont agree with Runty about the reels, I really like the FJ especially for the price, very sturdy, unlike the diawa gekka which imo feels very "Plasticy".

Im very impressed with the Nordic Rods but they are twice the price than the Raiders so i dont think they were even in the equation. The raiders are a very nice rod, The samaki Allure is also on special for $99 at motackle at the moment which is another option.

the raiders are also awesome value, not a big fan of the fj's as they feel heavy and heavy to wide.

if u were gonna spend the extra money, i would look into the stradic ci4's as they are an awesome reel. very smooth and very light

Runty

The FJ is a man's reel, I watched you pull that thready in on youtube and you my boy need to hit the gym! :P At least ya caught one! :whistle:

Chaps... the Nordic Stage range does look like da goods but I have just done what many have done before me and that is reproduce....now I have another mouth to feed in the family so there goes the Nordic idea. Besides I am not as "serious" as you tacklesnobs I mean enthusiasts. :whistle: Saying that I had to pour cold water on my boardies when I saw Ants Sharpshooter...... :woohoo:

Angus...thanks for the offer, I am putting my pennies towards the new Hobie Pro Angler 12.

Runty...I do agree I like the look of the Ci4...its looks tough as...Ant reckons they are a bit hit and miss with the bearings and they are so light they are hard to balance?

The Diawa range is a bit foreign to me......the certate looks pretty good.

Whats the thoughts on bright braid and bream fishing? some say its the way to go as you watch your line for the twitch!?

cheers for the help keep it coming......

Runty - Stradic ci4's are poo, you must have replaced the internals with fj gear to get it feeling nice :P and gekkas? Well I did have one :whistle:

Bryan I forgot to mention the Pflueger trion range of rods, very good value and they feel very nice, team one of them up with an fj and you can't go wrong. BUT, personally I'd spend a little more on getting a good rod, you can definitely tell the difference, the difference between using the Tcurve that I had to when I got the Nordic was like night and day. I reckon get a Nordic and chuck a sienna for the time being, then down the track upgrade to a better reel.

I think ant's on the money - try to squeeze a little extra into your budget for something like a nordic or look at forum sales online to try and get a good rod 2nd hand.

IMO get the best gear that your budget will allow - yes the initial outlay is a lot more but you'll have hassle free fishing with a reel which has a silky smooth drag and a rod which suits your fishing style.

Goodluck with whatever you decide with

Runty - Stradic ci4's are poo, you must have replaced the internals with fj gear to get it feeling nice :P and gekkas? Well I did have one :whistle:

Bryan I forgot to mention the Pflueger trion range of rods, very good value and they feel very nice, team one of them up with an fj and you can't go wrong. BUT, personally I'd spend a little more on getting a good rod, you can definitely tell the difference, the difference between using the Tcurve that I had to when I got the Nordic was like night and day. I reckon get a Nordic and chuck a sienna for the time being, then down the track upgrade to a better reel.

good idea about the sienna, why spend 200 to buy a sh!tty Fj when u can buy a sienna for 45 bucks which feels alot better ay ;)

nah thats a good idea, spend the little extra to get a Nordic and then match it with a Sienna and upgrade down the track. They are really really nice in the 1000 size and would match awesome with a Nordic rod.

PS if your northside ive got a Sharpshooter you can feel

Nah gotta love the Stradic CI4's ant :kiss: nothing feels as good for the money

I forgot about the Sedona Bryan, it is basically a Stradic minus a few features and I quite liked the one I had. I can't really comment on daiwa as I have not played with many, the Aird was nice until I spun the handle of the new caldia. I don't know.... let's go on a tackle store crawl :cheer:

Archived