G'day From the Gold Coast

HeadBanger

Hello, new member here.

My name's Kaidon and I do a fair bit of sharking down the Gold Coast Broadwater. Last season caught two bull sharks, 6' and 4'6"

post-11129-144598816047_thumb.jpg

6fter

[attachment:2]4'6 Bullshark.JPG[/attachment]

4fter

Was using 15kg line for these two sharks and lost two more that felt a fair bit bigger, one that almost spooled my 4/0 senator and one that bit through 2mm nylon coated wire (even though I was using a circle? Was definitely bitten through, as half the trace was gone and completely shredded.)

I've just bought a 9/0 senator and rod for it (can't afford a TLD, Tiagra or International) and some 3.5mm cable (4mm coated) matched with 20/0 Mustad circles. I'm using aluminium crimps at the moment, does anyone know where I can get some 3.5-3.8mm copper crimps/swages? Would much prefer to use copper than aluminium.

If anyone wants to come down to the Gold Coast to get among the sharks, I'd be happy to show you a spot or two on the Broadwater. I'm landbased, but if anyone has a boat, I'd be willing to chip in for fuel and supply bait. I practice tag and release, but if you catch it, it's your shark and you can do what you like with it and I won't stop you.

Cheers guys,

Kaidon

Hello, new member here.

My name's Kaidon and I do a fair bit of sharking down the Gold Coast Broadwater. Last season caught two bull sharks, 6' and 4'6"

4'6 Bullshark.JPG[/attachment]

4fter

Was using 15kg line for these two sharks and lost two more that felt a fair bit bigger, one that almost spooled my 4/0 senator and one that bit through 2mm nylon coated wire (even though I was using a circle? Was definitely bitten through, as half the trace was gone and completely shredded.)

I've just bought a 9/0 senator and rod for it (can't afford a TLD, Tiagra or International) and some 3.5mm cable (4mm coated) matched with 20/0 Mustad circles. I'm using aluminium crimps at the moment, does anyone know where I can get some 3.5-3.8mm copper crimps/swages? Would much prefer to use copper than aluminium.

If anyone wants to come down to the Gold Coast to get among the sharks, I'd be happy to show you a spot or two on the Broadwater. I'm landbased, but if anyone has a boat, I'd be willing to chip in for fuel and supply bait. I practice tag and release, but if you catch it, it's your shark and you can do what you like with it and I won't stop you.

Cheers guys,

Kaidon

mate keen as mustard.... i have got everything from tine spin reels for chasing small bullies to afew 80w's for chasing mummas, i have taught quite afew people now how to shark fish and am always keen to tag along with new people.

i make shark traces as a little extra $$$ on the side, with out crimping....

post-8878-144598816061_thumb.jpg

keen as to tag along bud...

flick me a text

some of the lads i have taught to shark live down the goldy as well.... nook and greenmachine they go by

cheers kurt

Haha, that's funny mate, I've seen those traces on eBay.

Yeah for sure mate, I love meeting new people too, and it's always great to get a few tips here and there.

I'll shoot you a txt during the week, I'm on school holidays at the moment and have a fair bit of spare time.

Cheers,

Kaidon

Hey mate and welcome to our wonderful site.. Nice work on those sharkies mate! Do you get into many over winter or is it more in the warmer months?

Mate my last trip was at the end of April, which I lost the shark I mentioned before when it bit through 2mm cable. Was definitely a big shark though. Might be maing a small trip in the next few days, I've got a little 60cm pike eel in the freezer for bait.

G'day Greenmachine, definitely keen to meet all of you. I'm on a fair few other forums, but I'm glad I've finally found a forum that caters for Aussie sharkers (most of the others are American based, like Texas Shark Fishing, Sharks on the Sand, etc.)

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome guys, really appreciate it,

Kaidon

good to see you think this is a good forum. am keen to tee up a trip any time with you.

what sort of areas do you usually fish down the coast

I normally fish the broadwater, from shore near Wavebreak Island. My first shark though was a little 80cm model which I caught on live bait in the Coomera River.

I mainly focus my efforts on drop offs, and as close as I can get to the opening of river, creek or canal mouths, especially after it has been raining. It's hard to avoid boat traffic in the broadwater, so I generally like to find a drop off that is no more than 60m from shore, as there's less risk of boats picking up your line.

good to see you think this is a good forum. am keen to tee up a trip any time with you.

what sort of areas do you usually fish down the coast

I normally fish the broadwater, from shore near Wavebreak Island. My first shark though was a little 80cm model which I caught on live bait in the Coomera River.

I mainly focus my efforts on drop offs, and as close as I can get to the opening of river, creek or canal mouths, especially after it has been raining. It's hard to avoid boat traffic in the broadwater, so I generally like to find a drop off that is no more than 60m from shore, as there's less risk of boats picking up your line.

we have fished budds beach, fresh water point, intrepid lake and afew other spots, all have produced sharks. we were meaning to get over to wave break for a lb sesh but never got around to it. we also do abit of bribie, straddie, moreton and frazer trips as well.

in the past and evan now i fish for the out of my 18ft hains.

have you sharked anywhere else other than the goldy. what ur biggest shark to date

we have fished budds beach, fresh water point, intrepid lake and afew other spots, all have produced sharks. we were meaning to get over to wave break for a lb sesh but never got around to it. we also do abit of bribie, straddie, moreton and frazer trips as well.

in the past and evan now i fish for the out of my 18ft hains.

have you sharked anywhere else other than the goldy. what ur biggest shark to date

Budds beach is a spot I have been meaning to get to for a while, good to know there's sharks around there.

Ive only shark fished the Goldy, and the 6fter in my avatar is the biggest I've landed so far. I have a 12 foot tinny, but not really keen to have a 6ft+ along the side of it, seems like I'd end up in the drink.

Welcome to the site Kaidon!

I'm sure you will find a few more SEQ sharkers on AFO than some of the other forums - particularly TSF. If you ever have any questions (or anyone else for that matter), please ask them in the forum! I'm sure there are probably many others out there asking the same questions, and a few of us would be more than happy to help.

Budds beach is a spot I have been meaning to get to for a while, good to know there's sharks around there.

Ive only shark fished the Goldy, and the 6fter in my avatar is the biggest I've landed so far. I have a 12 foot tinny, but not really keen to have a 6ft+ along the side of it, seems like I'd end up in the drink.

yeh cool, mate i started out with a 12ft tinny and it wasnt till i started gretting the 8ft modles that i was getting nervous bringing them up next to the tinny.

i personally dont usually fish for sharks in the winter, but if you want to tee up a trip, i am more than happy to tag along

Haha, that's funny mate, I've seen those traces on eBay.

Yeah for sure mate, I love meeting new people too, and it's always great to get a few tips here and there.

I'll shoot you a txt during the week, I'm on school holidays at the moment and have a fair bit of spare time.

Cheers,

Kaidon

hey kaidon,i just recognized you from my cousins facebook page,jack ringuet! i was taking to him the other week about sharking down there

hey kaidon,i just recognized you from my cousins facebook page,jack ringuet! i was taking to him the other week about sharking down there

Hahah mate, small world isn't it! Jack was playing in the same band as me, but left a few weeks ago. He comes along most of the time we go sharking too.

Archived