Thank You MackMauler!!!

kevinchen19870316

It was my first offshore trip and i should have enjoyed it . Well, due to the sea sickness, i spend 99.99% of the time lying on the big esky and the rest holding a 18lb rod wishing a big fish can give me an excuse to buy a new one:P

we launched at like 5-6pm and spend well over 4 hours getting the fishy spot. tired and cold, we dropped the line and had a good rest( not for me, i was cold, sick and wet all over, too bad not to take rob'd abvice to bring a jacket). the first thing i saw in the morning was rob reeling in a good sweetlip and released. second thing? yes, another sweetlip... the fish seemed to beat the sickness and i got rig on my rod and threw the bait:evil:. however, as soon as the bait hit the bottom, :laugh: >:( >:blink: >:sick: so i had to lie down again.

we changed spots like every 10-20mins and they just kept pulling up big snappers from 40-50-60 and 2 or 3 over 70! donno why, i was just that calm about the fishy scene...as if i was watching something so usual...

Rob is experienced! for 20hours, this word kept spinning in my mind. He can find exactly where the fish is, how to control the boat to get right up to the fish, how to put the bait right in front of them and how to hook up 2 to save time reeling in two from 100m twice.literally, he and jordan caught 2-3 fish in every spot and that took no longer than 10mins!

decision! he got a 250grm jig on a rod and let me did some jigging, telling me there should be some kingie down there. same thing happened, i had to give up after 1 min. jordan took the place and a hook up was instant. i saw the line peeling out from the TLD 25 and jordan trying so hard to reel in the monster...

well, i am not gonna talk too much, i just didnlt want to think about that happened yesterday. i feel sea sick whenever i think of rods, reels, lures, fish, boat and whatever related to fishing...and especially snapper and kingie...

thank you so much mackmauler, u gave me a good chance to catch a fish of my lifetime though i did miss the chance:( . well, i may not do any offshore fishing any more for the sea sickness i have ( as well as the addictive offshore fishing might not be good for me, a uni student) so that's probably the last time i did offshore fishing. thank u for making it so much fun( watching), this is a trip i will remember for a life. ur experience and precision is so impressive, ur love for fishing is also quite admirable( sorry for my english, that's the word i could think of). as jordan said, u r a good charterman. u supply the bait and tackle:laugh: , u have the experience( ultimate experience i would say)B) , u let us having the best time fishing can be....wow...u r a great guy, man!

Post edited by: kevinchen19870316, at: 2007/08/14 00:05

dont give up straight away there are pills you can take the night BEFORE that will calm you down thats one hell of a trip a tiny tinny at night in a big ocean can turn anyones stomach the best of sailors got seasick but it passes eventually once youve been on enough trips it will stop or you will get used to it. all infomation not due to personal experience i cant get seasick yet all my deckies do though:sick:

Kevin,

I sympathise with you. My first offshore trip fishing for snapper after dark was spent hanging over the side talking to ralph.

More time on the water in less unpleasant conditions does seem to reduce the incidence of seasickness.

I still get queasy in a swell and aeroplanes effect me the same way.

To reduce the effects of seasickness I take ginger tablets and Dramamine. This combination works very well for me.

Driving the boat helps too if you are trolling as does fighting a fish. Even on that nightmare snapper trip I didn't feel crook while playing a fish. I do know people who've had to hurl in the middle of a fight though (poor buggers).

Once while chasing marlin somewhere east of hutchies, I was so crook I jumped overboard and went for a swim. That worked but the skipper was having a coronary shouting something about the risk of being eaten by a tiger shark.

Don't lie down or stare at the floor! Keep looking at the horizon, breathing fresh air and try to keep occupied. Don't read, tie knots, rat around in tackle boxes, etc if you can avoid it.

hopefully some photos to come?

sounds like a great trip, mack will be taking you out more he gets free burley so i think you 2 can have a healthy friendship :D

I got seasick on my old mans boat whilst apply a new coat of teak. thats the only time ever but boy did i feel like crap i was dry reaching and had a monster headache...i feel for you bro it really is one of the worst feelings in the world.

Geez you must be pretty sensitive to motion sickness as the weather was pretty damn nice on the weekend.

Like others have said, don't give up just yet. I used to get sick in ordinary weather, but was always fine in nice weather. If the weather is gonna be crap I take a few kwells. One the night before and one when I hit the water. Now I can fish in really sloppy weather and not feel sick at all.

For breakfast you should have had a few tins of sardines chased down with a few shots of tuna oil. You would have been the berley machine from hell!:evil: Your berley must have still been alright as it sounds like you guys outfished us.

now the fact is that i am really really afraid of the sickness.

i felt sick this morning when i looked at my rod, cleaned my reel and even on the way to school when i saw a boat trailer...

i might not be ok before next time when i can catch a fish landbased.:P

no no, i am the one that decides to ly down and sleep when the fish were taking the line:laugh:

now my search is limited to \"landbased kingie\" and the result finally goes to \"brisbane river bul shark fishing\"

On my first deep sea trip when I was a kid first cast I caught an 8 pound trevally then berlied all night. Luckily the boat had beds so i could go and sleep it off. Next morning I woke up dropped a line down 21 Pound Cobia! then a 5 pound spotted mack for my trouble. Whole trip my old man didn't get sick but also never caught a single fish! After that we got a boat and when reef fishing all the time. After a while you learn to put feeling sick out of your mind. It is totally controllable with practice. Went fishing in Vanuatu in a big swell with a storm rolling in earlier this year and didn't feel a hint of sea sickness. Also try massaging those two tendons on your wrist I find that help but it could just be psychosematic (mind over matter).

yea unlucky kevin, i did see u take 2 or 3 kwelss but they obviously diddnt work. u did some good filming though while you were lying down so i will release the video and some pics later on. dont forget to tell everyone about that reef fish you got! ive never seen so many colours on one fish before!! at least u caught sumthing lol.

I dont think the fish could see your bait it was that small kev lol big bait big fish. that bright thing was a harlequin tusk fish so the book says.

good u got to see first hand some reef fishing, enjoyed it thats the main thing, it would have to be better than watching it on tv ay? conditions were calmer than usual, i dont think your ready just yet to sail round the world.

good luck with the bull shark some big ones soon.

Archived