Fishing spots and advice for Cabbage Tree point

Baldman

Watch the tide and the sandbanks. Plenty of shallow water around that area but good channels as well - just got make sure you know where they are. Try up against any of the million mangrove banks for flatty, bream or jew. I think there is a pretty good map on Nugget's site or you could pick one up at the Gem on the way there. Good luck,

Steve.

I like cobby cobby passage out near slipping sands it has a good yabbie bank at the mouth to pump plenty of yabbies and i fish all through there while the tide is running then move up into the hole at the 3 way junction for the turn of the tide it is one of the deepest for the whole of the pin area and is linded with rock bottom

good luck

• 7 years later...
12 minutes ago, Rondog63 said:

Fished the cabbage tree point area yesterday and between 4 of us we kept 13 bream, 4 Flathead, and a sole and all bream were around 32 to 37 cm and the flatties around 35/36 cm and any bream under 30 cm were released 

Hey Rondog63

Sounds like a nice little session you've had there, good job on all the fish. Welcome to the forum, as well.

Just a friendly reminder, dusky flathead in Queensland (which I assume are the ones you're catching) have a minimum legal size limit of 40cm and a maximum size limit of 75cm. If you kept some under that, it means that you are breaking the law and you risk a hefty fine from fisheries. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Rondog63

Sounds like a nice little session you've had there, good job on all the fish. Welcome to the forum, as well.

Just a friendly reminder, dusky flathead in Queensland (which I assume are the ones you're catching) have a minimum legal size limit of 40cm and a maximum size limit of 75cm. If you kept some under that, it means that you are breaking the law and you risk a hefty fine from fisheries. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hopefully they were bar-tailed flatties (the tail fin is black, white and from memory a tiny bit of yellow) which have a minimum size of 30cm.

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Hopefully they were bar-tailed flatties (the tail fin is black, white and from memory a tiny bit of yellow) which have a minimum size of 30cm.

Hey kmcrosby78

Yes, I hope so too. I better look at the fish ID on the department of fisheries site, so I don't misidentify. 

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Welcome to the forum.

Good bag of bream. Worth keeping at that size.

Hi ellicat

Yes, I agree - A fish around 35cm (a bit bigger or smaller) gets so much more meat off it than a one around 25cm. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂