first timer many questions

bulldogs195461

im a guy in my early 50s im pretty new to fishing love it,sometimes would love to stray from the banks,so if i was starting what would i need,would pedals be better than paddles etc,if i go ahead i would be looking for a cheaper yak second hand just to see if im into it.i cant swim but can get out of trouble,i would only be in riverss/estuaries on the goldy etc.some things i think reading your reports is ,it easy to cast out of a yak,do you feel comfortable if out for awhile,is it easy to get tipped out when the enevitable dickheads fly past etc.i like i could carry it easy on my ute and ive seen people put them in basically where they like,so thats ok.are there different sizes,ive got 2 boys who at times would probally like to try,another thing is how do you troll,?is it just at your paddling/peddle speed?is it with lures,?look thanks if anyone replies,i know ive put heaps on,even if someone can refer me to perhaps an apropriate article,regards john

i'm 48 and fat and have no probs with mine, never fallen out yet but had a couple of close calls

arse tends to get sore after a couple of hours and the hips stiffen up a bit so getting off it at the end of a session can be a bit wobbly.

if you cant swim get a good self inflating pfd and leash yourself to the yak

.i cant swim

Not trying to sound rude or disrespectful my friend but I'd look into some lessons first before leaving the river bank. Then if your after a cheaper yak to see if you like it first its going to have a paddle because a hobie with pedals will run you around the 15 hunge mark. I'd go an outlaw fish bandit , there weight rating is like 250kg and they are super stable, good for a beginner.

Best wishes

Jamie

I've never fallen out of mine... yet. lol.

You will get numb bum, I try to get out and have a stretch every couple of hours.

Take plenty of water and a few nut bars or something to snack on. Fishing is pretty easy the hardest part is trying not to get blown around by the wind to much, and boat/jet ski wakes.

There's plenty of blokes on here that go out regularly, I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind ya tagging along if you do pick one up.

Jamie is quite right, Hobies will set you back a pretty penny. Having said that I fish from a Hobie Revo as my first yak and love it.

I'm in my 50s as well and like Jeff am built more for pleasure than speed, while I've fallen from my yak, it usually happens when you're either doing something stupid or someone else is doing the same. So yes a PFD is an essential bit of gear, especially if you can't swim well. Casting from a yak is as easy and stable as casting from a lounge chair. With regard to trolling a pedal boat allows you the convenience of holding the rod while trolling, but you will always want a rod holder, I use RAM mounts but my better half prefers the Scotty style holder. Paddling/pedalling speed is sufficient to troll lures and is generally the best way to get into lure fishing from a yak. With regard to the comfort levels, I'm lucky enough to come with built in padding, my partner has a piece of foam she puts under her seat and we usually get bored of not catching before we get sore behinds.

Its a great way to fish - enter cheap, trade up when you are ready and enjoy.

jump on kfdu (kayak fishing down under) and have a read thru some of the posts there about beginners tips etc.

There are plenty of yakkers on AFO but KFDU is specific to kayak fishing so you'll probably find the info you need by looking thru the answers that yakkers have supplied to beginners asking similar questions.
/>http://www.kfdu.com.au

rod

dont worry about swimming lessons, just wear a PFD. Cant swim in one very well anyway. I prefer inflateable, you dont know they are there.

yaks bob about like a cork, in my opinion they take waves from boats etc much easier than a boat, just learn to swivel at the hips as the waves come through.

Pick up a good yak 2nd hand around the 1k mark, bit cheaper if you keep an eye out. Stay away from Hobbies (peddle yaks) unless you know your really going to pick up the sport, whilst they are definitely great yaks, very expensive. You can always upgrade to one later.

Fell out of mine only once. Never come close again.

as usual great advice,defenitly would get a pfd thats a given,have now ruled out peddles unless down the track i decide to go that way,those fish bandits are a great entry price i see and some good reviews.is there anywhere in brissy/coast they sell second hand yaks ,?when i started id probally give a yell here so maybe i could tag along somewhere to get some tips,o and you bigger blokes dont be so hard on yourselfs lol john,

hi mate, i was new to kayaking and went in the deep end and bought a new outback from Sunstate Hobie, and loved every minute of it.

with trolling, its pretty easy with either a peddle or paddle yak, you've normally got a couple of rod holders on the yak and you can chuck the rods in them and then just troll at the speed you want, depending on your fitness and power will depend on the speed. Also if you have a sounder on board you can troll different depth divers and so on! I enjoyed Trolling for flathead as its easy haha

The hobie outbacks are pretty stable kayaks, youll even see some of the guys on here standing up in them and casting , never did it myself being 6 foot tall i rekon the centre of gravity would be abit off hahah

Casting is pretty easy and youll get used to it pretty quick, i found it a case of shortening your line when you cast so as not to hook anything next to/ or behind you!!

thats about all i can help with mate

callum

Few simple rules to follow mate

1. since you cant swim, always wear a PFD

2. if you want a hobie, get it or regret it after

3. if you want to stand up and cast, get a hobie PA (12 or 14) or the Paddle version is a Jackson Coosa/Cuda(slightly bigger/ built for offshore)

I fish in my yak quite often and offshore as well but I'd suggest knowing some basic swimming skills to go offshore

let me know if you decide to get a yak and I'll let you know when Im heading out that way you can tag along.

best place to start is probably in little bass creeks where the water is shallow; you might have to use a paddle kayak or a hobie with the mirage drive cartridge installed

Archived