Life Jacket Question

livaio

the jackets look sweet i have never tried one of those and i hope i never have to put one to the test in a life threatening situation,but i would not let my life rely on a servicable product give me the big orange brick life jackets any day

My thoughts are that the yellow bricks are taken off straight away, but these slim ones can be worn all day, when im out on my own, i don't take mine off.

I am the same, Bri. If I am out on my own I keep my PFD on and it is an automatic one in case I fall overboard and hit my head. You can service them yourself, you just have to keep a record of when you changed the gas bottle (about $20). You can also keep the brick type on board so you meet the requirements in case you forget to service your auto model, but I never compromise on safety because you may only get one chance to put it to the test.

the jackets look sweet i have never tried one of those and i hope i never have to put one to the test in a life threatening situation,but i would not let my life rely on a servicable product give me the big orange brick life jackets any day

My thoughts are that the yellow bricks are taken off straight away, but these slim ones can be worn all day, when im out on my own, i don't take mine off.

Just a couple of hints.

The automatic ones can and do self inflate when they get wet from rain and spray so beware if you have a wet boat.

If you use a manual one make certain you know where the release trigger is.

I fell out of my canoe and coupled with the shock and hurt pride I could not locate the trigger .

It also pays to check them more than once a year. After that incident I gave mine to Binder who decided to get his son to test it out and when Alex pulled the trigger the jacket only partially inflated on one side because the gas bottle was not screwed in properly,

I have just bumped the old thread.

Cheers

Ray

For watersports in Australia we are supposed to use PFD Type 2 or 3 i think (more the vest type you are thinking about)

Then you have your smooth, partially smooth and offshore which you have different type of jackets. PFD type 1 and for offshore they need the head-support?

I think thats roughly how it works right?

Also a bit like motorbike helmets if you have a $10 head you wear a &10 helmet.

I shudder when I see people put their kids in those block type jackets.

How do you think that they will enjoy boating strapped up in one of them.

The problem is that good jackets for kids are expensive and they grow out of them quickly.

Cheers

Ray

I am sure this is a stupid question, but do the vest type used for watersports not meet Australian standards?

Are the non "vest" type considered safer? If so, can somebody explain it to me?

na it a good question,water sport jackets are designed to soften the blow on impact and if they were fitted with head supports you would snap your neck in a fall at speed they are really just to assist the body with a bit more bouency. to stay afloat you still have to tread water. you have to know how to swim if your using one

the offshore jackets type 1 or the now called 100n - 150n -165n type jackets will float you with no effort required by the user to stay afloat you float chest up and the head stays above water cause of head support.

To add on to mike..

The current standard for life jackets is Australian Standard 4758 (AS 4758). This standard has replaced Australian Standard 1512–1996, Australian Standard 1499–1996 and Australian Standard 2260–1996. You do not have to upgrade your current PFD under the old standards – they will still be acceptable for use as long as they are in good condition.

[table]

[tr]

[td]Under standard AS 4758[/td]

[td]Under previous standards[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Level 275\Level 150[/td]

[td]Coastal life jacket[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Level 275\Level 150\Level 100[/td]

[td]PFD type 1(AS 1512–1996)[/td]