Ply and Carpet Boat Fitout

dan25

Hey all

Just finished the framing on my just about, and will soon be ready for cutting out the ply and fitting the carpet. I am considering just buying normal structural ply and coating it a few times, and am just wondering if anyone could tell me the best place to buy the stuff? Also, if anyone knows the cheapest place to get marine carpet aswell would awesome.. Ive uploaded a pic of how its looking atm.

133576_3978468897597_1574769619_o.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Standard CD ply uses the same glue as Marine Ply (A Bond) and is perfect for boat decks but it does need to be well sealed.

I used 12mm ply but you can go thicker but it adds a huge amount of weight to the boat.

I use Bondcrete to seal all ply and it does a great job.

Secret with it is to water down the first coat so it gets sucked deep into the layers of ply and use at least 3 coats making it a bit thicker each time.

Make sure you seal all edges and cuts extremely well.

Bunnings was as cheap as anyone for the Bondcrete,Ply and by far the cheapest for 4L tins of contact glue.

BCF was as cheap as anyone else for the carpet.

Cheapest plywood was Underwood Demolition when i did all this and if you go to bunnings they beat that by 10%

If you happen to paint the ply rather than using bondcrete, just make sure you give the paint a few days to dry.

Lance and i did ours at similar times and i would have prefered to go down the bondcrete path rather than painting it as the glue reacts with the paint if it isn't fully dry.

Good luck

Awesome looking substructure there to ply over. Just looking though, did you measure or try your seating position for the tiller steer. It looks like your rear deck will come forward to the second last rib before the transom which looks like a fair distance to have to reach back to the tiller if you are seated on the edge of it.

Could just be the angle of the photo though too.

Archived