Some help buying my first boat please

deceiver

Hi guys,

Just joined the forums today in the hope that someone may be able to shed some light on which may be the best boat for me.

I would like some advice from someone that has experience and/or knowledge of Burpengary Creek.

I went to the local boat yard yesterday to hunt for a boat that I could use to get around Burpengary Creek and also possibly out into Moreton Bay. They came up with two suggestions, first of which was the Stacer 429 Rampage, second was the Stacer 449 Northern Fisher. The latter appealed to me more because it had the centre console rather than the tiller motor.

My housemate used to fish up at Burpengary Creek some years ago with his father and told me that the 449 was too big for the creek and said that the 429 was better suited. However, I feel I may run into some problems out on the bay with the smaller boat. At the end of the day, the creek will be where I go more often than the bay.

The 429 Rampage comes with a Yamaha 30hp motor and the 449 Northern Fisher with a Yamaha 50hp 4-stroke.

Can anyone give me some help in choosing one over the other?

Thanks.

At the end of the day its going to come down to which one you want more, what we tell you wont make much difference.

I dont have any knowledge of Burpengary creek, but the 429 will handle the bay if you pick your days. It wont do it comfortably in all conditions but alot of the time you will be fine. Yes the bigger boat will handle the bay better, but as your friend has said probably wont like the shallower waters etc that im assuming is in the creek.

I am inclined to go for the centre console over the tiller so am leaning towards the 449. But if it sits too deep in the water and will make it hard maneuvering around Burpengary Creek then I will go for the other. That's why I'm looking for someone that has any knowledge of the area. Just curious to know how deep the Creek is and how shallow it gets at low tide.

70l with a 50hp 4 stroke would more than adequate as 4 strokes very economical.Only exception would be if you intend to go outside a lot.

The downside of large fuel tanks is if you do not use frequently 70l is a lot of fuel to dump if it goes stale.

I personally prefer a tiller steer pver a centre console as the console wastes a lot of space in smaller hulls. You would find that you have more usable space in the smaller hull

You need to contact member Binder as he fishes and yaks burpengary creek a lot.

Cheers

Ray

Hey mate,

I have a 4.3m stessco catcher with a 2 stroke 30hp tiller. Never in the burpengary but its great in the logan. I take it out in the bay quite often and don't have too many problems out there. It does get a bit rocky and uncomfortable when it chops up, so I just pick my days and fish in the rivers on the others. As for fuel I have a 25L tank and its super fuel efficient. If im planning on a long day i take a jerry can with extra fuel for just in case, but rarely ever have to touch it.

Good luck! no matter which boat you choose im sure you'll love it!!!

Ok, so I think I will probably go with the 429 Rampage. Although it is $20,000 cheaper it doesn't come with a lot of the options that the 449 comes with like the Lowrance HDS-5 Combo Unit. Would that unit be beneficial and can it be added to the 429 even though there is no console?

Just get an electric start with power trim/tilt motor. It makes life so much easier.Do you have any mates with boats? if so cadge a few trips with them and get some ideas on how they operate rather than believe what the sales people are telling you.Think about joining one of the local clubs such as Caboolture river fishing club where you can pick up a wealth of knowledge and ideas.

Cheers

Ray

I have the lowrance elite 5 on mine..its a great sounder/navigation unit! either get one with the boat or pick one up from bcf and install it yourself. electric start would be nice...but it'll cost you a bomb!(i looked into it for mine) just use the pull start. a 30hp is light enough to trim/tilt by hand.

If your interested in the Caboolture River Fishing and boating club they have a comp on saturday, if your at the Uhlmann Rd boatramp around 2:30 - 3 they will be doing their weigh in, or you can drop in to the club grounds after that, they have a BBQ and camp over after a comp.

But be aware they are a real fishing club, they weigh in dead fish, greenies not welcome.

Link to their grounds below

/>http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.143756,153.020373&z=19&t=h&nmd=20120901

I fish Burpengary creek all the time, mostly in my Yak. I'm also a member of the Caboolture River fishing and boating club, which has a 14acre camping ground that backs on to the creek (although you can only access it by a long walk). Many of the members do fish the creek, mostly they launch at the Uhlmann road ramp in the caboolture river and travel the 2 or 3 k's around and go in the mouth. Mostly because they like to fish the lower reaches only.

I prefer to fish the upper reaches, I find the fishing better for someone who likes to throw lures. Much more structure.

Basically the upper reaches are accessed by the O'Leary avenue boat ramp, the tide here is roughly 2 hours behind predicted times, the tides are a little weird in the creek as it has several sections where it virtually dries out as it approaches low tide, so it has not much flow an hour each side of low, and can run hard the top half of the tide.

Link to nearmap for Burpengary creek.

/>http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.154286,153.029037&z=16&t=h&nmd=20120901

In the attached image I have marked the boat ramps in the caboolture river and the creek itself. If you want to access the bottom end or the bay, definitely use the Uhlmann road ramp.

The areas circled in red are the areas the creek shoals out at low tide. It is sand bottomed or mudstone in these areas so you can get out and push if you need to, The mouth of the creek is quite shallow as well. But best to just avoid 2 hours each side of low tide.

Upstream of the red circles it has at least 1.2m at low tide, 1.5 to 2m in most areas. The area circled in green, the mangroves overhang the creek almost totally, giving limited height access. You can pick your way through ok, a Bimini up might make it pretty difficult, you certainly would not have rods sitting vertically in rod holders (not for long anyway)

The O'Leary avenue ramp is a good concrete ramp, but I'd avoid the hour each side of low tide, you would have to drop your wheels off the end of the concrete for the size boat your looking at.

I've caught Bass, bream, Flathead, cod, Jacks in the upper reaches, the lower reaches are good flathead country, and not much else.

post-11051-144598865711_thumb.jpg

post-11051-144598865703_thumb.jpg

ive got a stessco SF430 with a cv30 yamaha, and it goes alright in the bay, but god, let me tell ya i get wet thats forsure. Personally, i would recommend the the northern fisher, because not only its a console, but surely its got higher sides and proper gannels to fit a few rod holders. and able to lean against while the wind picks up. Tiller steer is also good, but when its rough, it strains your arms. Always think bigger, and if the 449 northern fisher is a problem with shallow waters, go with something like a quintrex hornet, they do alright in the bay aswell, and it can float in shallow waters no problems.

imo dont limit yourself to your local dealer. they would only stock/promote a couple brands of boats. So many different options. If you like the idea of the centre console with the few extras and the ability of the smaller boat to get up the creeks, you could always combine the two and go for something like the 415 horizon easyfisher c/console (or side console) with a 40hp for around 15-16k. get to as many boat yards as possible, do ur research!

Archived