New Smoker

robin

Hey guys,

I have brought this new Gasmate smoker, and its abit of a upgrade to the metho one I have, altho that is still great for hotsmoking fish.

The question is, I have not really played with charcoal/heat beads much apart from camping.

What would be best to use, heat beads or Charcoal, also where is a good place to buy Charcoal.

Which one produces the least amount of smoke, as I don't want it over powering the smoking chips that I will be adding in.

/>http://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/products/product-view.aspx?id=20708charcoal

Charcoal is similar. It's mostly from the starters but once they burn out and the charcoal takes, it's minimal.

Just started the weber up for some sticky lamb ribs tonight and the fire and smoke from the li'l lucifers was over in 5 mins.

Wait until all the charcoal is red/white before you add your smoke chips.

I learned the zen of ribs from www.amazingribs.com

Charcoal is similar. It's mostly from the starters but once they burn out and the charcoal takes, it's minimal.

Just started the weber up for some sticky lamb ribs tonight and the fire and smoke from the li'l lucifers was over in 5 mins.

Wait until all the charcoal is red/white before you add your smoke chips.

I learned the zen of ribs from www.amazingribs.com

Now your making me hungry.

Ok, I tried both heatbeads and charcoal, and to be really honest, the heatbeads was really easy to light up and the charcoal took abit longer, but I actually liked the smell of charcoal better, kinda reminds me of when I go camping at stanthorp, Both did not give off much smoke due to me using some smokeless fire gel, but I don't think I will be using that when I start smoking/cooking.

So When I do smoke something I will be using charcoal, Now all I have to do is find out how to smoke a chicken hot first and then will try cold smoke, will upload pics once I have done that.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got time to do some smoking.

I decided to make some smoked cheese, I asked my wife to buy a block of hard cheese, next time I will be more specific as she ended up getting peppercorn cheese.

Anyway that was not going to stop me, I was not sure how this would turn out as I had never tried cheese, and thought it would melt, so this is what I did.

1: I allowed the cheese to get to room temp.

2: Heated up a handfull of charcoal.

3: Once the charcoal was heated, I then put only 1 piece in my smoker.

4: Left it in there for about 10 mins to test the heat, and there was not much heat on my smoker.

5: Put a small bit of hickory on the charcoal and let that start to smoke up.

6: Put cheese on the smoking grill and left it there for 1 hour, in the meen time I checked how the smoke was going every 10 mins and topped up with charcoal and wood as needed.

7: After 1 hour it was done.

Result

Really nice, loved the smokey flavor, my wife just kept eating it and I had to stop her so I could wrap it up and put in the fridge for a few days to help the flavor along.

I will let you know how it turns out in a few days.

Next project - Chicken mmmmm

Finally got time to do some smoking.

I decided to make some smoked cheese, I asked my wife to buy a block of hard cheese, next time I will be more specific as she ended up getting peppercorn cheese.

Anyway that was not going to stop me, I was not sure how this would turn out as I had never tried cheese, and thought it would melt, so this is what I did.

1: I allowed the cheese to get to room temp.

2: Heated up a handfull of charcoal.

3: Once the charcoal was heated, I then put only 1 piece in my smoker.

4: Left it in there for about 10 mins to test the heat, and there was not much heat on my smoker.

5: Put a small bit of hickory on the charcoal and let that start to smoke up.

6: Put cheese on the smoking grill and left it there for 1 hour, in the meen time I checked how the smoke was going every 10 mins and topped up with charcoal and wood as needed.

7: After 1 hour it was done.

Result

Really nice, loved the smokey flavor, my wife just kept eating it and I had to stop her so I could wrap it up and put in the fridge for a few days to help the flavor along.

I will let you know how it turns out in a few days.

Next project - Chicken mmmmm

That sounds great to me, making my mouth water.

Being a chef I have played around with smoking different meats a few times with some mixed results. When you are doing the chicken give some Cajun spice a go and a few squeezes of lemon juice every 5 or so minutes.. YUM!

I am hoping to get a few more school mackerel soon for smoking. Keep us all posted it sounds like you are having a win.

Cheers,

Kane

Archived