05' pixy or millionaire bay casting sp

i decided to give myself a present when i got a praising letter from uni.

decision! i have a chance to get a daiwa pixy 05' in airy red color or a daiwa millionaire bay casting sp. i am pretty clear that the bay casting sp won't be able to handle light lures as good as the pixy, but the durability of pixy is definitely not as good as the bay casting sp.

well, i will use the reel for NPD bass fishing the coming summer, throwing slugs and plastics down to 5grms( with the bay casting, at least 10 grms i suppose)

so i wonder if anyone here has used the bay casting sp and please have a comment on the reel. does it cast as good as like an alphas around 10grms slugs? the bay casting sp comes with a gigas spool and megaforce V wich sounds even better than alphas, but who knows, anyone tried this reel before?

hi there kevin, you're looking at two reels with 2 totally different applications here.

the pixy is for finesse fishing, but myself and some of my friends push it to the limits, with and without mods for pitching and for some limited SP fishing as well. however, do be warned that the drag is very measly, and the line cap is rather limited, so do take into consideration the poundage of the line that you're gonna be loading the reel with. Assuming that you'd load the reel with 12lb braid, 1 cast with a slug would empty about 85% of your reel capacity. talking about durability, i'd give it 9/10. i've used mine for 2 years+ with no issues at all, and will be hunting for another one soon. I use my pixy in saltwater as well, just i have to wash it down after every trip and strip it every few trips. Be advised tho, the millionaire is a SW rated reel while the Pixy is rated FW only.

as for the bay casting special, it is a very nice reel, very smooth, casts great, and generally i havent had any problems with it except the knobs which i find uncomfortable once they get worn abit. you can cast lures around 7grams with no problem, but below that, it can get slightly tedious. comparing it with the alphas, the alphas casts small lures better anyday, and IMHO, since you're only doing FW with small plastics and slugs, dont bother getting such a big reel, unless it's going to be your SW workhorse as well coz of the weight difference. If you do want to compare specs, the Alphas has MagForce V as well + the newer duralumin spool, but I think that's not soo important as you should look more at the intended application.

just my 2 cents man. happy shopping. all 3 reels are great reels, just they have different applications.

thank u, kiara. u have given me the best input i'd expect.

i might use the reel for a bit bream and flattie fishing where drag and line cap. won;t be a issue. as well, if i have the pixy, i am gonna put 8-10lb braid(150m if possible) on and i will be happy if a slug can take 100yrds line away.ha ha

so what do u reckon, do bay casting sp cast similar to pixy for 10-15grms lures?

I got the pixy but in pearl yellow and 04 version. At npd, I can cast the whole spool of line. Also, the drag on the pixy is rather weak, I won't be using mine for anything other bassing and light SW applications. Its and absolutely awsome reel for what it was made for, but not very good for anything else. But then you got your special guys like Adrian that know exactly how to put their gear to the test.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

thank u, kiara. u have given me the best input i'd expect.

i might use the reel for a bit bream and flattie fishing where drag and line cap. won;t be a issue. as well, if i have the pixy, i am gonna put 8-10lb braid(150m if possible) on and i will be happy if a slug can take 100yrds line away.ha ha

so what do u reckon, do bay casting sp cast similar to pixy for 10-15grms lures?

er, honestly, er, there is no 100% perfect reel that can be used for every application. The nearest reel that comes close to being the perfect all rounder IMHO is the Daiwa Alphas. You cant go wrong there my man. My shop received the 1st 2 units that were exported to Malaysia, and i bashed soo many fish with it over a period of 3 months. everything from barramundi, barracuda, queenfish, juvenile YFT and doggies. zero maintenance for 3 months, and the gears were impregnated with salt crystals once i opened it up to do maintenance, but no zero rust at all. looking at your profile pix i'm assuming you own one? if you dont, best to get your hands on one. Daiwa Japan already ceased production of them last year.

anyway, forgive my rambling lol, i know the Alphas is still my favourite reel :D.

between the Pixy and the Millionaire, honestly i think the Millionaire would be a better choice as it is more versatile, and you can fish alot more different lures and different species with it. not only the line cap, but also your rod to match the reel. with the pixy, the best rod would be a fast taper 4-12 or 6-15 max, but with the millionaire, you could use a 6-12 up to a 10-25 and get away with it. you'd be able to cast for pelagics, do your slugs thing, and generally everything in between.

if you got the pixy, you'd be quite tied down IMHO. Cranking power is probably 30% of the millionaire's, so do bear in mind, playing around with larger lures,crankbaits would be tedious, and not to mention damaging to the gears.

to put it in a nutshell, i'd recommend the Millionaire since you want an all rounder reel. The millionaire can basically do almost everything, but the Pixy is rather limited. If you like both, i'd say get the millionaire first, and the pixy later

thank u a lot, kiara.

i have ordered a alphas weeks ago but donno why, they r out of stock after i placed the order. now i have made another order for one alphas 103. at the same time, i am having my eye on pixy airy red.

i hate spinning gear so if the alphas cannot fill my need in light lure casting, i will get a pixy anyway. by the way, i heard that ceramics ball bearings and an i'to spool( hard to obtain, maybe a i'ze spool instead) will make alphas nearly identical to PIXY in 3-4grms lures casting. i might have a go if i have to use it in saltwater.

as u said, a milli bay casting sp is a bit on the heavy side. without the chance to chase snakehead, i will leave the reel out of my mind for a while.haha

so what do u reckon i can do with the alphas, like in slightly side wind to no wind condition and a fast taper 6'6 seperate handle M power rod, what distance i should be able to achieve casting 4grms, 6grms, 8grms.... with alphas?

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

thank u a lot, kiara.

i have ordered a alphas weeks ago but donno why, they r out of stock after i placed the order. now i have made another order for one alphas 103. at the same time, i am having my eye on pixy airy red.

i hate spinning gear so if the alphas cannot fill my need in light lure casting, i will get a pixy anyway. by the way, i heard that ceramics ball bearings and an i'to spool( hard to obtain, maybe a i'ze spool instead) will make alphas nearly identical to PIXY in 3-4grms lures casting. i might have a go if i have to use it in saltwater.

as u said, a milli bay casting sp is a bit on the heavy side. without the chance to chase snakehead, i will leave the reel out of my mind for a while.haha

so what do u reckon i can do with the alphas, like in slightly side wind to no wind condition and a fast taper 6'6 seperate handle M power rod, what distance i should be able to achieve casting 4grms, 6grms, 8grms.... with alphas?

er, IMHO, the Alphas doesnt need any modding. the Ize spool will be about 1/3 the cost of the reel, ceramic bearings will be AUD50+?, and IMHO, correctly used, the Alphas casts as well as the pixy, coz i can still cast 1 and 2 gram Yo-Zuri snap beans with my Alphas if i need to. The reason why i got my pixy was for ultra-light line fishing, but i decided to play around with it as well :D.

btw, i know that once ppl start on BC tackle, alot of em say they'd never touch spinning gear again, but that's wrong man. sure, the pixy or the presso was meant for ultra light BC fishing, but it's not efficient compared to spinning gear. A good example is all the bream tourneys in Oz. not many of em use BC gear. why? the lures are very light, and those lures are better tossed on spinning gear- less hassle with no backlashes, important for efficient fishing. Even for myself, I always carry at least 1 spinning outfit whenever i'm fishing, either a UL setup for tossing micro lures or MH setup for lobbing big lures. Spinning gear is not too hard to master my friend, just need a properly balanced setup, alot of practise to get used to the distance that corresponds to a particular rod load and some practise at feathering the line and you're set!

Personally I would choose the Alphas over both the reels you have mentioned.

The Alphas is a far superior reel and can cast 1/16th jig heads as well as larger lures. The drag is awesome and they are a super smooth reel to use. What more could you ask for:) I know of guys who have sold their Zillions to buy the Alphas, so that in itself tells me something.

I think they have to be the best Baitcaster reel to come out from Daiwa and unlike the pixy it can be used in salt water.

We sold alot of pixy's when they first came out and those reels were aimed at freshwater bass fisho's. Some guys have used them in salt with no problems but Daiwa has advised that it is a freshwater reel only.

I have a alphas and its on a pixy rod and its a nice combo.

I just need more practise on the baitcaster as its been a long time since I used one.

Cheers

Lee

now i can see that i have made the right decision. my alphas will arrive by the end of September and all i have to do is to find a two-piece rod to pair it.

the pixy is still a sweet reel in my dictionary and i will get one of these sooner or later for solely freshwater application.

do pixy rods have 2-piece ones? TD-sol baitcasting rods will arrive soon but i also doubt if there is a two piece version or not.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

do pixy rods have 2-piece ones?

No sorry they are all one peice as far as i am aware.

They were a limited amount of rods that were sold in Austalia and that is why the Pixy rod is a Limited Edition. I have heard that only around 200 made it to our shores, but I have been unable to confirm the exact number.

I am very luck to have one after a friend put me onto a deal that was to good to pass up.

I suggest wait to your reel arrives and spool it up with the line you want. Use a true barid not a fused line as a true braid will cast miles longer as the other guys have previously mentioned. Then take the reel to the tackle stores and start trying it on rods.

Thats the best way to find the rod you like and that suits your hands and style.

Also as for the 2 peice rods well guess what you are in luck. daiwa offer them but not in the Sol range of rod but they are available in the TDA range, Tierra range and the Heartland range.

Check out he Daiwa site and they list all the rods there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Lee

Post edited by: leelee, at: 2007/08/31 22:33

i did but it seems daiwa;s not a big fan of 2-piece rods.

i noticed a lot of daiko rods r 2 pieces and they r around 20000 to 30000 yan which is what i wanna pay for.

i have variva sea bass 23lb on my baitcaster now and this is a premium braid from the price,ha ha. after trying premium braid, i can hardly go back to mono or fused like fireline. the first time i fished NPD with the braid, i cast a lot better and felt much more strikes and successfully landed 3 logs and one shrimp trap. unfortunately, no jackalls on any of these snags.

seriously, i will take ur advise and go to local stores to find a rod i like. i am in brisbane so which one do u reckon should have a good range of rods in stock?

Mate I have no idea on Brisbane stores sorry so I can't help you out there:blush:

Daiwa do make some great 2 peice rods but some of them are the new series which may or may not be out yet.

The other alternative is to have a custom rod built for you which is a better option if the budget can afford it.

Cheers

Lee

Post edited by: leelee, at: 2007/08/31 23:54

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

i did but it seems daiwa;s not a big fan of 2-piece rods.

i noticed a lot of daiko rods r 2 pieces and they r around 20000 to 30000 yan which is what i wanna pay for.

i have variva sea bass 23lb on my baitcaster now and this is a premium braid from the price,ha ha. after trying premium braid, i can hardly go back to mono or fused like fireline. the first time i fished NPD with the braid, i cast a lot better and felt much more strikes and successfully landed 3 logs and one shrimp trap. unfortunately, no jackalls on any of these snags.

seriously, i will take ur advise and go to local stores to find a rod i like. i am in brisbane so which one do u reckon should have a good range of rods in stock?

er, IMHO, if you're willing and able to spend on JDM gear, buy the best.

I'd recommend a 1 piece rod, the tapers are always much much better. It may seem abit inconvenient, but after a while you forget it's 1 piece. ehe. i fished all over bris bringing my 1 piece rods with me man, train, bus etc. TimA did too.

Btw, since you're looking for a rod to pair with the Pixy, go for the Presso rod. I've never tried it, but since it was designed to match the Presso, I daresay the taper should be perfect, if not close to perfect to match with a Pixy.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

oooooooooooooooook

i have be persuaded by u guys.

what do u reckon should i pair my alphas with?

i will generally use jigs like metal slugs, sps( for flattie and bass) and topwater. i don't use crankbaits much as metal slugs and topwaters r my favorite.

Hmm, I did see 2 rods which i really liked in Bris - Nories HardBait Special and a Shikari, both in TackleWarehouse. The Nories was going for AUD998 and the Shikari about AUD350. Since you're not going to crankbaits and stuff, and will be trying to launch your slugs halfway across NPD :P :P :P.. jk jk :D, i think she Shikari would be a better choice. Cant remember the line rating, but should be around 8-16 or 8-20.

Archived