Beating the red monster (trailer rust repairs!)

swabio

Well,

The trailer has been getting a bit of surface rust etc showing through.... and it was starting to develop a bit further, so I decided that I'd do some maintenance to thwart the red monster's efforts at taking my yak transporter!

So much wire wheeling and grinding.... and those flap disc's really do some damage!

I have only managed to get one coat of POR-15 down this evening, so tomorrow morning I'll get up nice and early and put another coat or two down, then top it off with a coat or two of the POR15 Blackcote..... in black......

anyway, here are some progress pictures!

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

Good on yah mate, it is definately alot easier to do a little bit here and their to stay on top of it rather than let it rust into a state of disrepair.

I drench mine in fishoil every couple of months, only takes about half an hour. makes the trailer look like cr@p hut it does a great job.

About 3 years ago we stripped the trailer back (thanks to Kreel and tacklebox for their help) and replaced the undercarriage which despite our best efforts was rusting away... yay for special trailers and their awesome galvanising... 6 years for the undercarriage despite fisholene, regular hosing etc.

The chassis of the trailer was looking a bit second hand at the time but we decided it would do a few more years.

The trailer is currently in about 1000 pieces on our front lawn and a new chassis has been welded together - I've heard being able to stick a screwdriver through the old one is not a good thing, especially with a trip to 1770 planned in coming weeks.

With the old boy owning a steel yacht and us learning a little about stopping rust forming, we have decided not to go with hot dip gal this time (due to cost - $1500+) and have decided to get some 100x50x3 supergal and treat it with the same stuff the steel yacht gets treated with and then give the whole lot a coat of universal primer and then 2-pac poly-u. Costwise this worked out at a whopping great $332 for the steel (including the bending) plus about another $120 for the poly-u. This will then be coated liberally in tectyl or fisholene on a regular basis.

The new undercarriage was treated in the same way (although it was hot dipped) and still looks brand new so we are hoping the chassis does the same. I am sure some people might think this is a bit of a tightar$e approach, but if we get 10-12 years out of it with a little care we are way ahead on costing and that's all the hot dip one has lasted anyway!

Here is the almost finished product.........

I ran low on the black cote, and being a million degrees outside today, was not the best day to be painting...... also managed to drop the pot off the gun towards the end, so there is some terrible painting on it.... kind of irritated a bit, as the POR15 ended up looking pretty good, and if it was UV stable, then I would have just left that on there......... oh well.... it is merely a trailer ;)

I installed the new wiring harness, and soldered all the joins, and it all worked first go ;) so happy with that...... No pix of that though as it was too dark when i finished up!

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

hay m8 great looking trailer now

want to do mine lol

um what is this one coat of POR-15 you talk of??

and how much and were u get it from??

cause im looking at my boat trailer and it is looking a bit ordinary as well.

can i do the same to my boat trailer??

then paint it with some sort of salt water coat?

do you know??

ty peter

looks good,what a great improvment. B)

i really must tend to a few things on my trailer aswell you have inspired me to do something about it....maybe after this seasons pelagic action is over might find the time,Oh hang on it'll be prime snapper season after that, bugger :pinch:.might just stick with bennos screw driver test see how long we get out of it :lol: :silly:

hay m8 great looking trailer now

want to do mine lol

um what is this one coat of POR-15 you talk of??

and how much and were u get it from??

cause im looking at my boat trailer and it is looking a bit ordinary as well.

can i do the same to my boat trailer??

then paint it with some sort of salt water coat?

do you know??

ty peter

Hey Pete, I did two coats of POR15 and one of the blackcote.... Here is a video of a trailer being done!

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]nUSXm4tMKuo

I always used a product called Interzinc from International Marine Coatings.

This stuff is incredible if the old steal is prepped correctly.

I used it above and below the waterline and all my steel work was permanently covered in salt and washed down every day with salt water and it never rusted out after being painted with the Interinc.

I am not sure if it is available these days but well worth looking into if your after a long term solution.

Thats what happens to me Mick luckly Brock mows the grass or else that wouldnt get done either

looks good,what a great improvment. B)

i really must tend to a few things on my trailer aswell you have inspired me to do something about it....maybe after this seasons pelagic action is over might find the time,Oh hang on it'll be prime snapper season after that, bugger :pinch:.might just stick with bennos screw driver test see how long we get out of it :lol: :silly:

Archived