Novice fisherman

trf

My daughter is mad about fishing and we have gone to the river edge twice now and caught nothing - not even a nibble. And both times my daughter has come home sad and frustrated. I know almost nothing about fishing and I would very much appreciate if someone could spare a few minutes of their time to educate me on how to facilitate the catching of a coveted fish - any fish...

We live in Fig Tree Pocket and have been to the Fig Tree Pocket boat ramp on both unsuccessful fishing trips. Would love to go the the Koala Sanctuary since they have hundreds of catfish there!

I don't know what tackle I should use - any advice on where to learn? Fishing store perhaps?

Are there any learn-to-fish businesses in Brisbane - hopefully close to home?

Thanks

Hi TRF,

Welcome to the site. Your not alone on this one we were all new to fishing when we started. Some had the guiding wisdom past down from generations before,fathers,relatives etc, others just stumble into the sport. I don't know of any how to fish schools/businesses it usually comes down to research and effort and ask a lot of questions. This site will be a wealth of information and from what I have seen in the last 4 weeksis that members are very generious and will help where they can.

Being new myself to Brisbane I am cocentrating on fresh water at the moment and am yet to try the saltwater. So I am not the best to advise you of where or how but some one on here will. If you simply want to chat to get some pointers feel free to give me call 0412 808823.

Other places to gather advise is to visit the cloest fishing tackle store. It is in thier best interest to help you as much as possible,because you will buy more equipment as you progress. It's a win win for both of you.

Hope to hear form you and see the a photo of your daughters first fish!

cheers,

Wayne

Hi and welcome to the site and fishing. I got my boys into fishing and now they regularly out fish me. For beginners I took my boys to North Pine Dam and got them to fish for Gar fish. All you need there is a very small hook size 6, 7 or 8 some bread and a small float or a twig as a float. Put the hook with a small ball of bread on it about 20cm below the float and wait until it goes below the surface. Pull the bread apart and throw some of it out in the water to get the gar excited and you will nearly always catch fish.

/>http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_14895.htm

How old is your Daughter? Gar fish are a great way to get a new child into fishing as they do not mind a bit of movement if the child is bored and likes to reel in the line all the time.

We have a sponsor on the site that runs getaways for kids and for child and parent fishing adventures. He also runs the Camp lake fire on Maroon Dam. The guys there will definitely be able to get you onto an fish (bass) I took my boys with me for the winter camp and they would have caught at least 50 bass each.

Give Steve a call at sports tuition.

/>http://www.sportstuition.com.au/
/>http://www.camplakefire.com.au/

If I am heading out to pine rivers park over the Christmas holidays I will send you a PM to see if you want to tag along. You will always get something there this time of year.

post-7418-144598894375_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598894384_thumb.jpg

^^^^^^ On the money with steve from sports tuition... Went out with dad and we got plenty of bass on live shrimp. Google maps is also a great place to look for potential fishing locations. And as others have said before, it would be wise to get down to your local tackle shop- have a chat to them and they should be able to steer you in direction of some fish!

Good luck and let us know how you go ;)

cheers

Anthony

Thank you for your really in-depth reply. Your boys are beautiful - and obviously love fishing. Good idea to put the youngest in a life jacket on the dock! I will post a photo of my daughter's first fish. Will take all of your advice. Thank you for the offer to tag along, that would be great to have an expert to help. My daughter is 8 and still desperate to catch a fish. Off to the fishing tackle shop today for some hooks and advice...

Hey TRF,

I'm no expert in fishing North Pine (NPD) so you'll have to wait for one of the other guys to help you with that one.

Re Fig Tree ramp - a member here called Tomca regularly fishes there and does quite well on bream, catfish, sharks and the occasional threadfin salmon and jewy. He's a bit rough around the edges :P but he's a good bloke with LOTS of knowledge.

Hey Tom - help a man out with some info :)

Henry is right, plenty of species at Fig Tree Pocket boat ramp.

Your best chance of reliable catches there are to use live local bait. Invest a few dollars in a bait trap like this one.

post-1039-144598895873_thumb.jpg

Throw some bread or even cat or dog food in it and hang it off the side of the boat ramp. Usually you will find a few prawns in there within 10 minutes. Take one of those prawns and put a hook through the last segment of the tail and with a swivel and running sinker cast it out 2 or 3 metres from the bank and you are a good chance of catching bream and a fair chance of hooking a threadfin salmon.

Cast out further into deeper water you will find catfish and they are great fun and put up a good fight, but need a bigger sinker to hold the bait down due to current. Also rising tide seems to fish better at that spot.

an old post from that spot:

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/south-queensland/248205-ftp-thready#248210

Archived