Dura hubs

shortie

Oil because if a seal lets go you will see the oil all over the rim.

I replaced the bearings and seals on my dam boat trailer 5 years ago.

Normally 3 trips a week to NPD 160k round trip and immerse hubs every time when launching. Just back straight in no waiting for cooling ( Hubs do not even get warm anyhow as trailer is unbraked)

I put dura hub on one wheel and normal marine seal and dust cap on other.

No problems with either bearings.

Have knocked the dust cap off the normal hub a couple of times to check for water ingress and jack up trailer and check bearings for noise and end play when I renew rego sticker.

Like others said I just run oil.

The beauty of the system is that you can see whats going on i.e. oil level, water contamination.

The key to a good durahub install is using emery tape or wet dry sandpaper to polish the seal surface on the axle smooth otherwise it will have a slow leak and you will always be topping up. Also don't use the marine type seals just use good quality regular seals with the spring inside the rubber.

The only real disadvantage is that if you lose a durahub you will have a less time with oil until the bearing fails catastrophicaly. From the tests durahub did, run dry the bearings will still last something like 3 hours. Provided you install correctly degreasing the surfaces and using loctite 515 I can't see this ever being an issue. I took my boat up to Cape York over thousands of km of horrible corrugations. The entire trailer pretty much rattled itself to pieces but the durahubs and bearings were fine.

never used them but i would say oil, on the proviso that you actually check them regularly.

to play devils advocate i dare say that in the event of a failure in the seal. grease would still stick around for a bit where as oil would simply drain out right away.

i got bearing buddies on my trailer shortie and it has never missed a beat

just need to install corectly and then fill with grease (marine grade of course)

and all is well

big problem people make is that they roll the lip on the seals or they dont clean the axle properly

just my 2cents worth..

Archived