New to Boating, what should I buy?

Clevo_31

Like the title says I am looking into purchasing a boat for fishing purposes. I have been on a fair few estuary fishing with mates and even piloted one or two but really lack the hours on the water to know what I really want.

The species I want to chase are, but not limited to:

Snapper, Jew, Trevally, Snapper, Flathead, Snapper, Cod, Yellowbelly, Threadfin (on occasion when I have holidays to Brisbane), Snapper, Snapper...

The places I would like to fish are, but not limited to:

The Dams around Tamworth/New England region, in and just outside the Hastings river at Port Macquarie, in and outside of the Clarence river at Yamba/Iluka, the Gold Coast Seaway including outside the walls, Moreton Bay and the Brisbane River.

I have about $5-6000 to spend, so will be looking for a second hand boat.

Bar-crossing ability in decent weather would be great, as getting into species like snapper and reefies is a real buzz for me. If I wanted to chase Bream and Whiting or sneak into tight water I have a Kayak for that.

I get the feeling something around the 5m mark is the minimum a lot of people consider safe for a bar crossing. I have been looking for something around this size with high sides and an enclosed or protected bow. I have noticed though that there are some better quality boats in my price range closer to the 4m length. Would 4-4.5m be too small for a bar crossing or could I get away with it?

I would like something that has front controls, be is side/centre console or a bow rider (I think this is what its called when the steering wheel is right at the front). Nothing against tiller steer but I have found that standing when moving on the water is a lot more comfortable.

What would people suggest looking for motor-wise? I am a mechanic so bringing something up to scratch doesn't worry me, but the availability of parts does. In saying this I would rather something newer.

Sorry for the long post, I have about a 1000 other questions but if anybody has any advice on what I have here I will keenly listen and take notes!!

Thanks in advance!

Jordan

PS: I will be looking to do one of Bill Coretons Bar-crossing courses too before I go attempting anything extreme, just so you all know I'm not going to get something and plow it headlong into the biggest swell I can on my first outing :silly: !!

If you havnt already look up ebay and just window shop as to whats available and different types on offer its getting to the best time of year to buy a boat winter seems to be when people have had a summers fun out of their boats and sell them over winter when they wont need them or want to upgrade for next summer.

I was in your position a year ago and brought a boat on ebay last march after doing abit of window shopping and finding that boat yards ask crazy prices.

Oh and am I being totally unrealistic looking for what I want from my price range?

I do think you are being a little overzealous within that price point.

Especially if you want a newer outboard.

In that range id be looking at something around the 4-4.5m area. Would be ideal for your river and dam fishing, and the bay on a good day. Offshore not so much, im not saying you cant do it, but i personally wouldn't unless it was a very flat day, and even then you have to be careful it doesnt blow up, even big boats can get in alot of trouble offshore if or moreso, when conditions decline.

Its very difficult to find a boat that is suited for both inpoundment/estuary as well as offshore especially with a small price range. Do some general research on prices of boats so you get an idea of how much different sizes/age/and type goes for, it will help with your final descision.

You probably wont get a 5 meter boat for any less than $8000 but maybe a 4-4.5 m tinny . You could get a quintrex dory 420 with a nice and reliable 30-40 hp yammy for around 5000-6000 $ which would get you in the rivers and into the bay on a nice day B):lol: As for steering in a boat under 4.5 meters a side or a tiller steer would be the go as centre consoles take up too much room.

But if i were you i wouldnt listen to me cause im only 13, i just know a bit about boats :side: B)

Cheers louis :woohoo:

i think you will be very lucky to find the sort of boat your after for that sort of money but sometimes you can be in the right place at the right time but on an older boat/motor get the outboard checked out!!or it maynot be such a bargain .you may be better getting a 4-4.5mtr tinny and get some experience on the water and save for a larger boat good luck with what you decide

Haha ok, got the feeling I might be looking for too much, thought I would pose the question anyway! :blush:

I've had a fair poke around boatsales, gumtree and ebay already and have seen a few around 5m with a decent price tag, but their reliability would be questionable.

Basic estuary kit it is then.

Jordan

Be very careful with ebay and ensure that you have a thorough inspection before bidding. Whilst there are honest people there are also a lot of shonks.

Join up on other fishing forums and check out their for sale sections.

This one on sweetwater is above your price range and the guy selling is a dealer
/>http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,5047.msg21160/boardseen.html#new

It would be ideal for the dams and estuary work but I personally would not dream of taking it outside.

Unless you know someone who is knowledgeable about boats and motors or come across a local private sale where the person selling is known to be honest I would recommend going to a reputable dealer such as Northside Marine,Wynnum Marine or John Crawfords where you will pay a higher price but at least you will have peace of mind.All of these dealers have been around for a long time and do not sell rubbish.

CHeers

Ray

I recently purchased a Brooker one owner 2002 model 4.75 with a Yamaha 4 Stroke for $12,200.

It was a one owner, motor had done 120 hours and was bought by a retired orthodontist.

Boat came with new Hummingbird 788CXI HD

27Meg radio and Am/FR Radio

Bilge Pump

Yamaha Gauges and two fuel tanks

LED tail lights

Boat and trailer were in great condition and is a runabout, with a windscreen, bimini and "half pod'.

Safety gear,flares,lifejackets etc

Trailer was a roller but I have since converted to a skid.

I did look at an older Brooker, year onknown but probably mid 1990's, 5m 70hp 2 stroke, fair condition for $8500. No service history, no sounder but lifejackets.

Cheers

A reliable tinny of 4.5m or bigger is fine to take offshore when the conditions are good.

It is plenty big enough to tackle game fish in and will give you an awful lot of fun offshore.

The Port Mac bar is one of the best around for smaller trailer boats.

Point Plumber to the North is an easy run and it offers one of the best spanish mackeral spots along the entire NSW East Coast.

Port Mac also gets a reasonable juvenile black marlin congregation just offshore most summers and every rocky headland offers up some awesome jew fishing.

Hat Head is another place to launch a small tinny and the headland there is one of the best LBG spots in the country.

By keeping just outside of casting range from the brick fishermen there,you will catch marlin,tuna,cobia,wahoo,mackeral and many other species.

Best thing is that area is best fished from small tinnies if the creek bar is passable.

South West Rocks just a bit further up the road has a small creek crossing which is also perfect for small tinnies,especially in a Southerly.

Within a 5 minute drive from the mouth of Back creek you cross the main bait grounds and end up on what I think is the best inshore juvenile marlin fishery in this country.

Fishing around the Port area offers some great options for smaller boats and I can grantee you will see and experience some fishing down there that most people can only ever dream about.

Hey mate, I've got a 2002 4.5m ally craft with a 40 hp Johnson 2stroke tiller steer, power trim and tilt, it's fine offshore on a good day. You just need to be sensible! You definitely don't want a bow rider, they are for ponies, not fishos! They are the ones with a lounge in front of the steering wheel, you'd want a runabout, or some sort of console. But that'd take heaps of room. I'll be selling mine in about 6 months, prob round the $6000 mark, which is trivial as you want one now :)

i wasnt only meaning my boat-bow riders are a good allround boat and much more family friendly which is/was a major factor in buying a boat. Every ones idea of the perfect fishing /boating rig is different for me ally bow rider worked best as i have a young family so tubing etc as well as the fishing canals and off shore also the material the boat is made from fibre glass is a great ride but heavy ally is lighter but pounds in some cases in the chop but needs less horses to push it i think only clevo-31 can decide on the right boat for him/them :)

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. So perhaps i should pose this question then: If you were looking to buy something that would be capable of making it out to some close snapper grounds around the Mid-North Coast, what would you look at buying, and how much would you consider spending?

I am at the stage now where I have a decent and stable paying job and am looking to buy myself a car and hopefully a boat as well, and have come to the conclusion that insurance on the cars I would really like is too expensive so have started looking at more suitable options.

Jordan

if you're looking at spending 5-6k I think it'd be advisable to buy a smaller but newer and better rig to start off with. With a smaller rig you will still be able to head outside as long as you pick your days well. My previous rig was a 3.7m with a 25hp and I crossed the SPB regularly. From experience the best the best thing that you can do is buy a rig with as new an engine as you can afford. Breaking down at the wrong place at the wrong time can be disaster.

this is what i reckon.

doesnt matter how well paying job you got doesnt change the price on a boat motor trailer package deal only determines if you can afford it or not.

just recently i got a new boat too. its 4.3clark Aussie made on the goldie.to buy this boat as a package from the boat show "specials" as they call it was 13k boat motor traier rego'd.

i bought a hull only from a distributer 2k i purchased a new tohatsu from neptune marine 3k,i made a galvanised traler complete set up finished winch and rollers rims tyres the lot $700 but iam going to say $1000 cause i am going include the new tie down straps spare tyre, water tank, high presure wash down pump, and trailer rego

my new boat cost me 6k the same thing goes for 13k as a package

I have a reasonably good "do everything" boat - a 5.3m fibreglass half cab with a "75" :whistle: merc two stroke on the back. Does estuary, bay and offshore on a good day. Have given it a far too substantial workout on the south passage bar as well... :blush: having said that, I do not head offshore unless the forecast is bang on, even the bay in a solid 15kn is not comfortable.

For what you are suggesting, I would have a bit of a think about what type of fishing you are going to do most of and buy a boat targetted at that style of fishing. for example, a well decked out 4-4.5m tinny would be brilliant in the dams/estuaries, however, unless it was an awesome day not really the right thing for offshore. there is no point spending a heap more $ on a boat and all the safety gear for offshore fishing if you are going to do it once a year - you'd be better off just going on a charter once a year and sticking to the estuaries/dams/bay. having said that, if your passion is mostly offshore, I would look to increase the budget a little and get a boat designed for it. they are generally stronger in their construction and will stand the rigours of a bar crossing and offshore fishing.

another consideration is towing and maintenance/running costs. sounds like you are going to be covering some distance with the boat, towing a 4-4.5m tinny is not hard, however, a 5m+ boat gets a lots heavier, meaning more stress on vehicle and trailer. having just completely rebuilt our trailer I wouldn't recommend it as a hobby. Maintenance/running costs - the bigger the boat the higher they are. Simple as that. it is quite easy to run up $200 worth of running costs on a day out offshore and my boat is not what you'd call big. the bigger the outboard the higher the service costs/parts are... if your budget is reasonably tight these are all important considerations. No point buying the sucker if you can't afford to take it out!

hope this helps a little.

I agree with this approach. No matter whether you are inside or outside, the last thing you want to do is break down.

You may pick up a 4m- 4.2m open boat with a 4stroke for around $6k. This will often be an older boat but 4 strokes are ok with even a rapouple of hundred hours on them.

Give some thought to the fact that you are going to need good sounder to get on top of snapper grounds properly which could set you back $500+ if the boat doesn’t have one.

We go out from Mooloolaba in a 4.5 on a good day. But its a hornet trophy with a yammie 4stroke. If I was really after a boat to do what you are asking I would be looking at 4.5+ and spending at least 15-20K.

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP005367535

polycraft are tough boats and don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t rust or get the gelcoat ripped off. They may not ride as well as some glass boats and some tinnies.

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP005349193

good resale on these boats.

just some ideas after a very quick look.

Archived