Prospecting new spot, crabbing tale works+crabbing ettiquite

tradie

Thought id give spot x a rest and try a different area this weekend. Headed out friday afternoon and took a total gamble and set my pots down on new water. Left to soak over night and returned in the morning to be let down as there was a bunch of undersized bucks and some massive females. As ive heard the crabbing tale, if your getting females on one side the bucks are on the other side of the river.......

I retured Saturday afternoon to set my pots on the opposite side of the river in new water again. Returned Sunday morning and to my surprise it paid off pulling up 5 decent bucks to take home. Sadly some idiot decided to set his pots directly inbetween my string of pots. Not only was that frustrating enough but I also noticed I was missing two pots!! He was there setting his pots down right inbetween my pots as I approached. I truly think its just a crabbers duty to respect other crabbers and use your brain on the water. My pots were set no more than 25 maybe 30 meters apart and here he was setting his pots down right inbetween my string of pots!!! The frustration why he would do that.... There is so much area for all!! If I want to crab an area and notice that there are already pots there, firstly ill make sure my pots are set well away from his out of respect. The heavy downpour I was caught in this morning pulling my pots and searching for my other two pots is what crabbing is all about :silly:

Anyway thats crabbing sad but time to head on up to CRAB N GEAR and grab another 4 pots they are truly fantastic pots the best I have ever used for sure!!!

Thank you for reading and feel free to comment on your thoughts about crabbing ettiquite below please ....

post-5874-144598923861_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598923865_thumb.jpg

Totally agree on 2 points: (1) the ettiquite and (2) the theory that if the jennys are on one side of the river, the bucks will be on the other. A bit like an aussie BBQ. Even though I am probably the most unsuccessful crabber on the site, I read that theory on this site and it worked for me the next time I went crabbing.

Even though it was really bad manners, not sure how the guy setting his pots in between your string caused you to lose 2 pots? Did he knock them off?

Totally agree on 2 points: (1) the ettiquite and (2) the theory that if the jennys are on one side of the river, the bucks will be on the other. A bit like an aussie BBQ. Even though I am probably the most unsuccessful crabber on the site, I read that theory on this site and it worked for me the next time I went crabbing.

Even though it was really bad manners, not sure how the guy setting his pots in between your string caused you to lose 2 pots? Did he knock them off?

Mate your totally right, maybe he had nothing to do with the pots disappearing but he sure was in a hurry to throw his last pot in the river and take off??

I think its just the pure frustration that makes you want to blame someone, I totally accept im going to loose pots. On a happy note the two pots I lost were my old pro ones which have been well used and have been repaired a few times haha

I have been crabbing much in my spot and i never like to set my string of pots near others.. Sometime i even tangle rope around the engine or sometimes mixed up other people pots. I always have a saying that is: what you doesnt want to other to do to you, you dont do it to others first... But often there is always a few out there that doesnt care about etiquette.

i sent mine in two differant spots on saturday and in the first three pots got 4 big bucks and the next string i got all females,did you get your bucks on the right side of the river if your heading towards the mouth as i got mine on the right,nice feed there too.brad

Hey mate thats an interesting point you make, now I think of it ive pretty much had all my success on the right hand side of the river heading towards the mouth! And the pots I left on the left hand side were smashed by females....

i sent mine in two differant spots on saturday and in the first three pots got 4 big bucks and the next string i got all females,did you get your bucks on the right side of the river if your heading towards the mouth as i got mine on the right,nice feed there too.brad

Hey mate thats an interesting point you make, now I think of it ive pretty much had all my success on the right hand side of the river heading towards the mouth! And the pots I left on the left hand side were smashed by females....

well in the last three weeks i have got all mine on the right and all real good crabs so i will be sticking to the right

I agree. Most keeper muddies have come from the right hand side of the river. I get sandies on the left, though, and never on the right. I notice the pro pots are generally on the left as well. I am always super careful not to lay pots anywhere near the pro pots. I figure he might not be as forgiving about etiquette as the rest of us.

Archived