Leslie Harrisson to open for rec use.

rayke1938

http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/story/1364014/leslie-harrison-dam-to-open-for-recreational-use/?cs=213

You little ripper its only 13ks away.Never thought I would live to see it.

Cheers

Ray

THE state government will overturn 40 years of tradition when it opens up Capalaba's Leslie Harrison Dam for recreational water sports and fishing later this year.

Energy and Water Supply Minister Mark McArdle made the announcement on a whistle-stop visit to Redland and the dam on Tuesday.

Mr McArdle said he could not fix an opening date until after completion of a state government review on the future of water sports on all state dams.

"I think the idea of using the dam for recreational purposes and non-motorised water sports is an excellent idea that will add another bow to tourism in this area," he said.

"I'd also like to see the dam stocked with fish for recreational anglers and with the council and the community, this will be a success."

Members of Wynnum Redlands Canoe Club and Queensland Canoeing hoped the dam would one day become an international kayaking venue.

Wynnum Redlands Canoe Club's David Bicknell said a one-off kayaking event on the dam on December 30 proved opening up the dam would be a fillip for tourism.

Access to the dam would be on Mount Gravatt-Capalaba Road, about 500m south of Brightview Street.

Mr McArdle refused to comment on claims toxic emissions from a proposed power plant at Mount Cotton would fall into the dam's catchment area as the development's planning application was in the Planning and Environment Court.

Print Story

Local News

R

awesome news - Looks like an ideal toga Dam :P Great news for you Ray a bit less for you to drive. When they say non motorized i wonder if it will exclude electric?

Have emailed my local Councillor asking to be involved .

post-230-144598929922_thumb.png

Looks like the access point will be in the little inlet near the word mount which should be ideal being nice and protected.

Cheers

Ray

Friggin awesome and about time too sick of driving past it everyday for the last 15 odd years and wondering what it would be like to fish in. Also good to see it will be non motorised craft only as the last thing we want is a dam full of ski lice. As for what's in it the usual suspects come to kind and before Tingalpa Creek was dammed there would've been a population of wild bass but whether there's any left in there or not who knows but we will find out soon enough. B)

Cheers

Mark

I fished it a lot when i was a kid just spangles talipa eels catfish lungfish crays and fresh water prawns. always heard BS story's about another species being in there no evidence seen as yet. I believe the bass died out there years ago but prove me wrong. :)

I fished it a lot when i was a kid just spangles talipa eels catfish lungfish crays and fresh water prawns. always heard BS story's about another species being in there no evidence seen as yet. I believe the bass died out there years ago but prove me wrong. :)

I have also emailed fisheries asking for results of electrofishing there. I saw them electrofishing there around 3 to 4 years ago.

Bring on bass,toga and marys. In the meantime I would be happy to reduct the population of tilipia.

Cheers

Ray

What's involved in starting a stocking group?

I'd be a founding member for sure

Bit of a funny one who will take the lead. Most of dam is in Mansfield state gov electorate member is Ian Walker and rest is in Capalabe with Steve Davies ( both members are LNP ) with Redlands councils history with this dam dont know how much they will wish to be involved.

I have had 2bob each way and written to them all and included minister McArdle in the list.

Its still early days no doubt there is a lot to be done.

Cheers

Ray

same here would love to be a part of that. the place defiantly needs some predators to eat the talipa.

count me in too. would love to help in any way possible. ezy

Bit of a funny one who will take the lead. Most of dam is in Mansfield state gov electorate member is Ian Walker and rest is in Capalabe with Steve Davies ( both members are LNP ) with Redlands councils history with this dam dont know how much they will wish to be involved.

I have had 2bob each way and written to them all and included minister McArdle in the list.

Its still early days no doubt there is a lot to be done.

Cheers

Ray

I asked the question at the tackle and tinny show today, everyone I asked said fisheries are the ones who give permits for want of better words to people or groups that meet the fishing stocking groups guidelines.

Maybe they are a good place to start?

have you tried the Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland (FFSAQ).

FFSAQ will only be interested if it means they can write abusive letters to someone....... :whistle:

Its easy enough to form a stocking group, phone call to Fisheries to make sure someone doesn't have a permit already and there are no other local stocking groups whom might have a prior claim, then it only takes a public meeting and an application to fisheries for a permit.

Copy a management plan from a similar sized dam get SEQ water on board and your away. Ewen Maddock is a similar size, has a new style plan (where only indigenous fish are allowed) Ray would have a copy of the stocking plan.

You can start the sausage sizzles etc immediately to raise funds to put fish in, be a good idea, as otherwise stocking season will be just about over by the time the Govt gets around to delivering the permit and approving the plan. Otherwise you'll have no loot and will miss a years stocking.

Bunnings BBQ's are the ones to go for, make up to $1000 a BBQ.

There is no need to wait for approval for it to be opened to start the process, you can get a permit to stock closed waters easily enough.

There was a rumour around a long time ago that a local group had a permit and did some stocking, Fisheries will know any details of previous stocking

Hers is response from SEQ water,

Recreation

To

'rayke1938@yahoo.com.au'

CC

Corporate Communications

Ray,

Thank you for your email in relation to Leslie Harrison Dam.

Seqwater will be conducting an extensive review of recreational access, facilities and activities at the lakes that we manage. We are currently finalising the process that will be followed for that review, which we are intending to commence in April 2013. We will be releasing the schedule for each lake’s review once that schedule is finalised. The schedule will be prominently displayed on our website once that is finalised.

No decisions have been made in relation to changes to recreational access to Leslie Harrison Dam, however we have received quite a few suggestions that the lake could be opened up for recreational activities, including canoeing, kayaking, and fishing. Community consultation is central to the recreation planning process, and we would welcome your input once the process has begun.

If fishing were permitted on Leslie Harrison Dam in future, any fish stocking, including the development of a management plan, would be administered by Fisheries Queensland, however Seqwater would provide what assistance we could to that process.

We intend to consult relevant government authorities, including Brisbane City Council and Redland City Council, in relation to the recreation planning process, and would look to form partnerships where appropriate and where the Councils are interested in those options.

Regards,

Which means everything is in limbo until the review is done.

The initial response from both my local Councillor and the one from Capalaba appears to be that they do not wish to be involved.

Cheers

Ray

Cheers

Ray

Archived