River, Bay and Offshore fishing of late

Shane69

With the bad weather offshore fishing has being limited so had to fish the river and bay.

Done a few sessions in the river for crabbing. Got a feed nearly all trips.

Being going out in the bay abit even with the 20 knot forecast and getting on to some good snapper, mackerel, jew and tuna. We have nearly bagged out in the bay nearly every trip in bay with snapper on plastics and livebait. Most fish have being aroud 40-60. My bro got a 71cm. We being getting some good numbers of schoolies too everytrip. I havnt got many photos though.

Got a photo when my bro went with his mates and they cleaned up gettin 18 schooles in 30 minutes.

We havnt being lucky enough to get that many yet.

Done 1 offshore session on Sunday after 3-4 weeks and we ended up with a good feed of good reefies, some yellow fin and heaps of mack tuna for crab bait.

The highlight of sunday was me hooking a 100lb plus Black marlin on a 4inch shad in casper soft plastic while chasing yellowfin over a big bait ball. Got most of it on video too.

It was nuts. A memory that will be left with me for a while. We had to stop recording coz it got too dangerous while the marlin was next to the boat. We had him by leader next to the boat until the 30lb leader gave up.

post-9281-144598931721_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598931734_thumb.png

post-9281-14459893175_thumb.png

post-9281-144598931761_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598931765_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598931774_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598931778_thumb.jpg

/>http://youtu.be/IJkC4fFmwYM

Ps i also did a FRESH WATER sess last friday night for redclaw off land. We didnt do too well though only got 30 good ones for 12 pots. Normally same spot last year we used to get over 100 in couple hours.

Il wait for bit before going out and doing it again

It finally looks like the weather is getting better now. Cant wait to go out and chase longies in the bay and spanish mackerel offshore.

Shane

Shane, just a quick one mate. I notice you have crabs in one tub but it looks like their claws in another. Not for a second suggesting anything untoward has gone on, but if a fisheries officer inspected your catch in that state you could well expect to have the book thrown at you - even though the claws are from the crabs in the other tub.

The way i stop them fighting each other or fighting with you is to drop them straight into a sea water and ice slurry when caught. this puts them to sleep in about 2-3 minutes and negates the need to tie them up or remove the claws. People who reckon this affects eating quality and you have to drop them into the pot alive are kidding. I do this with all the crabs I catch and they taste great.

And the marlin on plastics gear looks like a bit of fun, shame about the leader popping though.

Nice effort there mate!

Sucks that you lost him but he still gave you plenty of fun first.

Cheers mate.

Yeah he went hard. Thats not whole fight We had to cut it.There was too much swearing in it lol. He had him for 25 min plus and 1 run he took over 200m of braid

You are a brave man for heading out in 20knots wind but well rewarded for your efforts. Thanks for sharing Shane.

ps - you really gave that lucky craft rod a good workout on the marlin!

Haha its not too bad in that much wind. Best thing is theres only few boats out.

I love those rods. Best buck for money rods i reckon and they have balls on them.

If i knew there was marlin under school i would have used popping gear n dragged him in lol.

Shane, just a quick one mate. I notice you have crabs in one tub but it looks like their claws in another. Not for a second suggesting anything untoward has gone on, but if a fisheries officer inspected your catch in that state you could well expect to have the book thrown at you - even though the claws are from the crabs in the other tub.

The way i stop them fighting each other or fighting with you is to drop them straight into a sea water and ice slurry when caught. this puts them to sleep in about 2-3 minutes and negates the need to tie them up or remove the claws. People who reckon this affects eating quality and you have to drop them into the pot alive are kidding. I do this with all the crabs I catch and they taste great.

And the marlin on plastics gear looks like a bit of fun, shame about the leader popping though.

Hey mate cheers for that i never knew that before.

I will be putting them in ice slurry from now.

Reason we broke them was not coz of them fighting but so we can get them out of esky without getting biten lol. I being bitten before thats why break claws off now.

I dont find change in eating quality as my mum always cleans them cuts into pieces and makes crab curry in coconut milk.

We rarely eat it just boiled.

Yea shame about marlin but im glad leader popped coz we didnt have heart to sink gaff in him to land it. They just such awesome creatures.

Hopefully get a smaller managalbe size one one day that we can drag in boat without gaff.

Shane

Some nice hauls there mate well done. The YFT pic is a ripper.

Cheers mate.

We being getting a fair few yellowfin our way atm. I have stopped taking photos with them coz we get too many lol.

They are a pain when trolling for mackerel.

Good eatting though

Shane

Great stuff Shane, some good sessions there. Nice sized longie too!!! Haven't been out in the tinny for quite a while - are the longies spread throughout the bay at the moment or mainly in one section (no need to specify where).

Cheers mate the longie was a by catch for mackerel. It went hard i forgot how stubborn they are.

Mate no seceret they everywere atm. All way from peel to harries to rous and also in northern bay. Theyl get thicker as weeks go.

I havnt being fishing northerem bay lately always being around southeren. Got a honey hole for schoolies atm.

Just get out there mate and you will find them during tide change.

Small slugs and 3-5inch plastics way to go.

Ps a lil birdie also told me theres spotties in the with the longie schools and they all big fish.

Well done bro...

Question is??? ----- Do you EVER smile??? Gotta be happy with that.

Cheer up mate :cheer:

Cheers

Woodlaz

Haha its only tuna lol.

Il smile when i catch a big GT.

starting to get really frustrated now.

Cant wait to get out there and gove them another crack. Being trying since november last year.

Well done Shane! Awesome video! I can't wait to start fishing soon, haven't been for 2 months now. On a fishing banned. hahahaha

Haha stuff that. Il get so bored if i dont go fishing for a week. Nothing to look foward to.

Hows your lil tinny going. Whats this i hear you chasing bream lol.

You n toonie gotta come out with me 1 day. Both of you needa blood your stellas lol.

Well done shane, Great report. Good operator B)

Cheers mate.

You being fishing your self.

What you mean great operator?

If you talking about Nathan lol. Yeah he did well driving the boat. I think i found my full time deckie now when my bro or moe not around.

I dont have to tell him what to do and he dont get sea sick.

Shane

You ir are a machine! That Lucky cRaft Catalina combo looks the business on the marlin and will forever be with you.

There are some good sized mac around and I think you\'ve got them all sorted to. Not bad considering the weather has been so c**p of late.

Atleast its getting better hey. Im taking my old man out sunday as he only likes to go out calm days lol. Might do a sess after uni monday morning to pop for gt if weather holds. I can feel one coming.

Man i love that cadilina. I prefer it better than my 5k stella lol. Yea those lucky craft rods are nuts i absolutely love them. If only they made heavier versions.

You boys being out. I hit both spots for dollies nothing there hey. I wonder when they going to come back.

Went out Sunday and avoided any other boats.

We went to the first Dollie spot only and there wasn't even an undersize king about so headed north.

I managed 5 decent Spotties and my mate speard some massive moses perch (you'd swear they were fingermark), parrot and a decent jack.

Man I saw the biggest Whoo I've even seen right next to the boat and it would just nudge my popper I was using. It swam up pushed it, then would swim away, I would just flick it out about 2m and it would do the same. By the time I put on a raider it had swam off. Would have easily been 6 foot long and a solid whoo at that.

I just bought a dedicated popping rod so can't wait to test it out on some decent fish. Hots Gipang 83H pe5-8

What you popping with and what size popper you using?

Well done Shane! Awesome video! I can't wait to start fishing soon, haven't been for 2 months now. On a fishing banned. hahahaha

Haha stuff that. Il get so bored if i dont go fishing for a week. Nothing to look foward to.

You n toonie gotta come out with me 1 day. Both of you needa blood your stellas lol.

LOL I still haven't caught anything off my stellas yet!! actually i haven't caught anything decent for a while now! its also been about 2months since ive last fished. Hoping to learn from you Shane :) . Are you heading out through the south passage again on Sunday?

LOL I still haven't caught anything off my stellas yet!! actually i haven't caught anything decent for a while now! its also been about 2months since ive last fished. Hoping to learn from you Shane :) . Are you heading out through the south passage again on Sunday?

I dont know yet. My mates are fishing off GC on saturday if they catch il go off there. If not il go out tweed. Still deciding yet.

Lil tinny is going good. Fully decked it out for MARLIN fishing!hahahha. Will post up pictures when I get a chance.

Want to head off shore again. Been out only twice and both times nothing.

Great stuff Shane, some good sessions there. Nice sized longie too!!! Haven't been out in the tinny for quite a while - are the longies spread throughout the bay at the moment or mainly in one section (no need to specify where).

Cheers mate the longie was a by catch for mackerel. It went hard i forgot how stubborn they are.

Mate no seceret they everywere atm. All way from peel to harries to rous and also in northern bay. Theyl get thicker as weeks go.

I havnt being fishing northerem bay lately always being around southeren. Got a honey hole for schoolies atm.

Just get out there mate and you will find them during tide change.

Small slugs and 3-5inch plastics way to go.

Ps a lil birdie also told me theres spotties in the with the longie schools and they all big fish.

Cheers for the info Shane - of all the replies you could have given the news that they are everywhere is the best. I'm busy next couple of weekends but will definitely get out after them over the two week Easter break. Tight lines.

Archived