Best Day Ever

max pwr

On Tuesday I was looking at the weather report and decided to skip work on Wednesday and head for mud Island which I have only just recently been having a crack at......in fact this was to be my second trip to Mud thus far.

Previously I went with a mate to the south end and we picked up 4 keeper squire on Monday arvo so armed with a couple of marks courtesy of some AFO members I set off wednesday morning after taking the daughter to school ( pretty sure the teacher was stoked to see her at 6:20 lol )with the plan being to get some squire for dinner and maybe chase a tuna or two.

Well, I ended up with one just legal squire out of about 30 caught on prawns.......tuna bust ups everywhere but either I couldn't get close enough or they didn't like my lures or plastics.

Next time I reckon I'll just float a pillie out the back and see what happens, I'm not at all sure how to go about catching tuna full stop and probably a little past my skill level to expect to catch one on a sp.

I did pick up a small mackerel on a rapala lure on the troll which I ate for dinner and was bloody beautiful!!!! As this type of fishing is new to me and I'm used to doing estuary fishing just being out on the water with awesome weather and bringing home a decent feed plus NOT being at work made it the

Best Day Ever :cheer:

post-5844-144598941653_thumb.jpg

post-5844-144598941662_thumb.jpg

post-5844-144598941668_thumb.jpg

With conditions like this and a coldie in one hand.......... how's the serenity?

Congrats on the Mackerel mate - that's a nice way to top off a days fishing. Conditions looked terrible lol

With those kinda days over time you'll be heading straight over to Moreton soon, chasing Tuna, Spaniards, Spotties and all sorts of other critters

Nice work mate

Looks like a good session.

This is how it starts. First youl get hooked to fishing bay and than a want to venture out further and fish offshore.

Shane

Mate, the only reason I haven't got a big boat is the $$$$ but it's in my five year plan to get a decent rig to fish places like boat rock and offshore Gold Coast etc

I'm over chasing flathead and jacks every trip........yesterday I caught squire, mackerel, grassies, moses perch, caught a cat shark thing the other night at mud......saw a couple other sharks swim by and saw heaps of tuna yesterday........ so much variety out there compared to Coomera where I normally fish.

Also keen to get my first legal Jew and thready this winter!!!

I don't know why it's taken me so long to getting around to fishing the brisbane river and surrounds......

Congrats on the Mackerel mate - that's a nice way to top off a days fishing. Conditions looked terrible lol

With those kinda days over time you'll be heading straight over to Moreton soon, chasing Tuna, Spaniards, Spotties and all sorts of other critters

I would have headed over yesterday if I had a spare fuel tank on board Manni......conditions were perfect for it! I probably made it halfway to Moreton trolling but I actually stalled right under the bridge at Whyte island on the way back :unsure: There were still a few litres sloshing around and I repositioned the tank and started back up but it was close!

I would have headed over yesterday if I had a spare fuel tank on board Manni......conditions were perfect for it! I probably made it halfway to Moreton trolling but I actually stalled right under the bridge at Whyte island on the way back :unsure: There were still a few litres sloshing around and I repositioned the tank and started back up but it was close!

Cool, once you get out there a couple times and becomes an easy trip back & forth.

In the meantime whilst you fishing around the mouth/mud with mackerel it's worth cranking slugs from off the bottom up to the surface a long a few of the beacons just outside the mouth and and out towards mud along the shipping channel ;)

They do appear there from time to time and the technique is easy, let your slug sink to the bottom, pause and then crank it up as fast as you can and hold on when they strike lol

Nice work mate

Looks like a good session.

This is how it starts. First youl get hooked to fishing bay and than a want to venture out further and fish offshore.

Shane

Mate, the only reason I haven't got a big boat is the $$$$ but it's in my five year plan to get a decent rig to fish places like boat rock and offshore Gold Coast etc

I'm over chasing flathead and jacks every trip........yesterday I caught squire, mackerel, grassies, moses perch, caught a cat shark thing the other night at mud......saw a couple other sharks swim by and saw heaps of tuna yesterday........ so much variety out there compared to Coomera where I normally fish.

Also keen to get my first legal Jew and thready this winter!!!

I don't know why it's taken me so long to getting around to fishing the brisbane river and surrounds......

Offshore is addictive lol . I havnt being out in ages though.

The bays firing so being sticking in it chasing tuna, snapper and mackerel lol.

I used to fish coomera alot before too but maiinly chasing jacks. Its boring eitherways lol.

The brisbane rivers good too. You just have to learn how to fish it.

Spend the time out there fishing different tides baits and plastics and you will crack it.

Jewies and threadies arnt hard to catch.

Theres heaps in the river atm.

Theres few spots around mouth but if you wanna catch 100% drop off at breakfast creek ramp and fish around the mouth area at night on incoming tode with live bait.

You will pick up big threadies and jewies.

Shane

Great stuff Steve - can't complain when you go home with a feed. Selling yourself a bit short there - that's far from a small mackerel. I still haven't caught one around Mud (or the Bay for that matter!!!).

Hmmmm ... you may have just changed my plans for Sunday. I'm desperate to get out after tuna and had decided I would launch at either Cleveland or Wello Pt and fish for snapper/squire during the early morning tide change (5:40am high) at either Peel or Harries (would be first time there in my tinny and mean travelling in the dark) but now that you've mentioned the tuna are in the vicinity of Mud (I've seen them there on the NW corner and hooked 3 in one day but not landed them) I think I'll change my plans as at least I know where I can get crabs whilst I am fishing (if you want to know just PM me - happy to share). Any clues on which side of Mud they were on?

Definitely float a pillie out for them next time while chucking lures - I got this tip from Tugger last year and picked up a nice longie (which somehow won me the Tuna Social - FLUKE!!!!) doing this.

Mate, they were on the west side of mud and as far as I could see north and south as well......... I didn't get out there till 8am and they were hitting up the bait consistently till round lunchtime then slowed down but were still around.

I couldn't believe I only saw 10 other boats all day around mud unlike in the Broadwater when there's a bust up you'll just about get run over from fishos chasing the schools and scattering the baitfish :evil:

I would imagine the weekend will get pretty busy out there though....... Best of luck mate! What rig did you use to catch the winning tuna? I was thinking maybe 2-3 metres of 30lb leader to a set of 5/0 gangs with no sinker......, no idea if wire is needed or not?

Yeah weekdays at Mud is great - almost have it to yourself. I still haven't sussed out how to consistently pull decent catches yet - I probably should spend more time sounding around to know where the different drop offs are but am too impatient!!!

Yeah what you said should work mate. I had 30lb mono straight through to gangs - suspect they were 4/0's but shouldn't matter. I didn't have wire and don't think you need it - even if you get a mackerel on instead you have the gangs for insurance.

Thanks for the heads up on the tuna - I just need to hope they are still there now ......

Archived