Spaniard Mission

tugger

Went down the goldie today with mackerel on the menu we headed out and got some livies on the close grounds anchored for a little while there and put some baits out for the chance of a mackie. That wasn't to be but will got enough live bait while we were there so it was off to where they have been biting and anchored up again.

The wind and current were going in the same direction which made for a perfect combination to get a good spread of baits. We had 2 hits on the surface but the rest were down deep and plenty of them released them selves in the process we were down to about half our livies left.

post-4390-144598947751_thumb.jpg

Jeremy in the mean time had hooked his 2nd spanaird and showed it off for us

post-4390-14459894776_thumb.jpg

Lance finally got a hook to stick and this fish made a long powerfull run even impressing the old fella, I noticed it came right up onto the surface and the long wind back towards the boat started. With the fish now in sight I got the gaff ready while the old fella guided it closer for the shot the A team had another Spanaird spilling blood into the boat.

post-4390-144598947765_thumb.jpg

post-4390-14459894777_thumb.jpg

In the end we had successfully released 7 spaniards and kept 1 for the filleting table and the fillets looked perfect with colour and texture mmmmmmmmmm fresh spanish

Haha awesome report mark.

Good too see you realised 7 spaniards.

Nice fish too lance they really do hit hard on lures.

How did the bonito go? Any runs on it?

I cant wait to get out there myself now

Ps good to see old mate in the tinny next to jeremy back there. He was there sunday . He was beside us. I dont think i have seen anyone swear more at us than him. He was going off everytime we hookd a fish lol.

Shane

Thanks Mark for another top day on the water.

It was a bit like a picnic today,a late start and sitting on our asses all day just waiting for a bait to go off,lol

Even though we only bagged one fish for the session,we hooked and missed a few others so the fishing wasn't too bad in the end.

We also caught a mixed bag of reef fish in the morning as well as bream and whiting but most were undersized.

Anyway thanks again Mark for the great day out.

Was a good day out, we hooked 3 landed 2 and decided that the bite was over at 1345 so we headed back in as i wanted to thoroughly wash two days blood and slime out of the boat. Was definitely less activity up top today didnt see any yellowfin or bait sprays on surface like we did yesterday.

Love the massive fillets off these spanish, so easy to fillet too.

Thanks Shane will have to have a look down there soon again

Haha awesome report mark.

Good too see you realised 7 spaniards.

Nice fish too lance they really do hit hard on lures.

How did the bonito go? Any runs on it?

I cant wait to get out there myself now

Ps good to see old mate in the tinny next to jeremy back there. He was there sunday . He was beside us. I dont think i have seen anyone swear more at us than him. He was going off everytime we hookd a fish lol.

Shane

nice catch fellas, could i access these beasts in a 4.2m tinnie, and can u see the spanyards on the sounder, also do u look for the bait grounds then put your livies out, sorry for all the questions just interested in chasing some in the future. good report cheers

They are here for only a little while longer before they migrate up north for the winter your 4.2m tinnie is ample on a good day if your heading out from southport the bait grounds are just 1 km from the seaway you will see the boats there early in the morning just after daylight.

The mackerel can be on these same reefs or any of the other inshore reefs including the mermaid reef, gravel patch, palm beach reef, the 18 fathom reef and the 24 fathom reefs.

Pilchards work just as well for them as livies do just remember to use light wire around 30 to 40lb as they have razor sharp teeth

good luck

Gun fishos, gun boat, top skipper and mojo off the scale...........love these offshore reports!

What's not to love being out on the water, kicking back with mates and pulling in brutes like those ?!!!!! Simply awesome, gives a lot of us something to work towards and thanks for sharing some tips to help us along the way .

Gun fishos, gun boat, top skipper and mojo off the scale...........love these offshore reports!

What's not to love being out on the water, kicking back with mates and pulling in brutes like those ?!!!!! Simply awesome, gives a lot of us something to work towards and thanks for sharing some tips to help us along the way .

If you ever go chasing Mackeral Steve,give me a yell and I will show you how to make the proper traces for them and how to set the gear once on the water.

Like any fishing,there is a myriad of rigs,methods and baits available to use.

You guys would love to have seen what i saw today. I am working on a rig in PNG and during our ROV dive this morning we looked up with the camera to see the biggest school of Spaniards I have ever seen, there had to be a couple of hundred of them. Honestly there was just too many to count and they were really big, we were down at about 80m. I tried to record the footage but had the recorder set on the wrong camera .......doh!!!! I really hope they are there again tomorrow so I can try again. It was an impressive sight to see. If they are there tomorrow i will get the footage for sure.

The spanairds definately get the reels screaming and the blood pumping hopefully they hang around for the rest of this month before they head north and a few more of us can have a good crack at them

Archived