WANTED: properties for hunting pigs free of charge

rowie13

Hmmmm, while we're asking questions of such a nature, can I please have the details of any of your spots that produce fish. :dry: :S

No offence mate, to be honest I don't like your chances of getting a hunting property just handed to you.

Your best bet would be doing the hard yards and ground work and going for a long drive over a day or 2 out to your chosen area and knocking on a few farmers doors. It may take more than 1 or 2 trips.

Tip 1: Be polite, even if you're asked to leave the property.

Tip 2: Try to offer the cocky something in return for letting you hunt on their land. Farmers are often time poor and lacking help, so if you have a useful trade or some experience like building, fencing etc maybe offer some help.

Tip 3: Don't show up with all ya gear dressed in ya camo expecting to hunt on the day, have a few copies of your details handy that you can leave with bloke so he can have a think about it and get back to you.

It's sounds like lot of had work, and it is. That's why no one's going to hand over their hunting spots.

It really is a shame they dont have open conservation land to hunt in QLD like they do in NZ they certanly have the space for it here. I would love to go for a hunt here but unfortunatly with kids and work I cant do the hard yards myself and look for a property to hunt but atleast Ive got NZ across the way for when I do get time off for a shot.

there are a lot of places and farms to hunt here you just have to get off your ass 99.9 percent of farmers wont let you on because of how you present yourself and because of the 2000 blokes that have turned up in the same way and stuffed it up for every one else .with mutts that turn on stock etc . its hard but once you get one property to hunt others will come easy don't be to eager its a sure sign of inexperience and that's what cockys don't want .

good luck and happy hunting :)

It really is a shame they dont have open conservation land to hunt in QLD like they do in NZ they certanly have the space for it here. I would love to go for a hunt here but unfortunatly with kids and work I cant do the hard yards myself and look for a property to hunt but atleast Ive got NZ across the way for when I do get time off for a shot.

They do In NSW and some of the hunting land is in mid to north west nsw so not to far to drive, get onto the game council website and find out when they have their next sitting for the R lisence, once you have it, its just a matter of booking in your hunt. Its very easy and gives you access to millions of acres.

Jump on the briz31 website, (the tv station in brissy) they have a tv program called "Beyond the divide" it was on last night, great hunting program. They just did a game council hunt in north western nsw, Im pretty sure you can watch the episode online, great numbers of pigs and goats on the land.. more goats than most properties Ive seen and not bad numbers of pigs, but nothing like you see out west on the wheat. It'll give you a good idea.

You can also joing the ADA if you are interested in hunting dear, they have a number of ways you can get access to properties including a fantastic ballot system that lets you do self guided 3 days hunts right in the middle of the roar for $550, easy access.

You just need to do some research because although getting properties by door knocking is great, and you will get properties that way, the easier way is chasing up a few of these leads and you can have something for every weekend if you like.

There are also lots of keen hunters on AFO, if you get to know a few you could get an invite, Ive been hunting with a few and its been great

there used to be a little book called the Western Hunting Register.....don't know if its still around. the property we shoot on at Texas was advertised in there but not anymore. we get access because we look after the campsite and the farmer when we go.......kilo of prawns or fresh fish goes a long way with farmer who's 400k's from the coast. and we still pay for the privlege to hunt there.

pays to look after the property and the owner. you wouldn't let someone in your house to go shooting - got to think of a bit like that.

Archived