Steering heaven

tugger

Well I got hydraulic steering fitted to my boat today and boy it works great with 1 finger able to turn the motor with ease it is a far cry from my stiff cable steering.

A huge thanks to Lance for helping me fit it this unit is an awesome piece of kit supplied from 'Reel Tackle' it is a balanced unit and only takes 2 turns from mid ships to full lock either way.

I should have gone down this road a long time ago but I wont be looking back now

I don't think the weather is going to be any good for getting offshore Shane

Yeah i saw. Friday might be doable.

I might go off straddie. Still bit of swell but i dont think itl affect bar too much being se and high water being 6.30.

Or even might try out of GC.

Havnt being out in ages.

Thanks Mark for the kind words.

Being able to spin the wheel lock to lock with 1 finger is awesome and you will not know your boat now.

That particular helm and balanced ram setup coupled with the heavy duty hoses should give many years of trouble free boating.

Cya tomorrow for the next upgrade fitting. :P:P:P

How many hours to fit and roughly what kind of $$$ for a kit. I have a 90hp mercury.

Hmm interesting. My one is from baystar. It's not much lighter than my mechanical system I replaced. No feedback or torque steer which is great but definitely not a 'one finger turning job'. I wonder is there is some air in the line or if this is normal for that brand

How many hours to fit and roughly what kind of $$$ for a kit. I have a 90hp mercury.

Hmm interesting. My one is from baystar. It's not much lighter than my mechanical system I replaced. No feedback or torque steer which is great but definitely not a 'one finger turning job'. I wonder is there is some air in the line or if this is normal for that brand

Mine is not as light as it was when I first got the boat. I can probably steer with one finger but it would take some effort now. When I had air in the line after a break in the line it would feel like a jump in the steering when it passed the steering cog.

When you have hydraulic steering you should carry oil and a brass joiner just in case you get a break and leak. I found this out the hard way. :unsure:

Hey Mark, You just need to get one of these now and you will be set:

/>http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=11461&parent=306&vendorid=2

Marks steering kit has a standard 3/4 taper so his wheel fitted otherwise we were going to grab a nice stainless wheel with a speed knob.

We went to the wholesaler's warehouse the other day and Mark found his new seats and bases so they may be his next big upgrade,lol :P:P:P

Archived