Glue for PE tarp to create seam for Boat tent/cover

rathabfishin2

Hello all. Well after my son and I coming down ill last week and being unable to make a late entry to the MBC I decided to put some time into making a tent based on netmakers design.

I am happy with the construction of the poles (conduit) and the mounting brackets I made to make use of the four flush mounted rod holders (will attach photos when complete) to save me drilling into the boat.

I have decided after feeling the weight, getting in and pulling the tarp over, and sussing out attachment points that I am going to have to trim quite a bit off the tarp and create seams that have plastic eyelets.

I figure if I can glue the seam and put an eyelet every 300-400mm at four critical points on front and rear corners I can then feed bungy cord through these and tie them in a way that I can stretch them over the front sides and rear corners. This will negate the need to drill any holes to fit attachment points.

At the rear I will (depending on how my early efforts to do this go) cut two lines and use off cuts to glue two seams with a flap type overlay to repel water over the join and run plastic eyelets every 200mm to enable me to totally close this section when raining hard or sleeping without rods out. This will give me room to have a rod or two out and fight anything unlucky enough to hook itself on my rod/s.

The question I have is....has anyone tried to glue polyethylene tarp and had success? If so what glue or substance did you use and are there any special tips you have based on your experience?

Cheers Andrew

Archived