Pine River

Northside Chic

Hi guys

I'm thinking of trying to do a bit of fishing on the weekend, nothing too serious, just getting outdoors for a bit and if I'm lucky I might catch a fish or two!!

I live on the north side of Brisbane and didn't want to travel too far. I was thinking either Nudgee beach or the pine river. I will be land based so I know that limits me a bit but does anyone know of any land based options on the pine river apart from deep water bend? I just thought there may be some grassy spots on the bank of the pine that I didn't know about that someone may be able to tell me about. Just looking at fishing for the usual species, flathead, bream etc.

Thanks

I would head to the mouth of the pine at low tide and catch the run in or the run out into the low. It gets pretty shallow there at low so wading out near the hornibrook bridge and further upstream along the banks there will give you a chance at flathead, tailor, bream and whiting just to name a few.

Walking the banks there and even wading the shallower areas if you are keen while flicking plastics and blades would be a great option. I know most of my flatties are caught in that general area on my tinny, so there's no reason you couldn't get amongst them landbased.

Just up from the hornibrook bridge you can continue walking up the bank at low tide right up until the mouth of bald hills creek. The drop from the bank along there is about 4 metres and it's quite a sharp drop at that, so this is a great area for the bigger predators to hide in ambush as it is one of the main deep channels that leads out into the bay and further up the river. Unfortunately this deeper water means lots of boats drive up and down there to avoid all the sandbars, so fishing there landbased on a weekend wouldn't be too much fun, I would definitely give midweek a go for that area if you wanted less boat traffic and more chance of catching fish. I have caught countless tailor and flatties there but I am sure there are bigger fish there judging from the big arches (possibly jewies or threadies) and bait balls that comes up on my sounder when in that area. I'm also due for a big flathead as well from that spot haha.

I would also recommend using plastics and blades and covering lots of ground with them. I see a lot of baito's there catching small bream but I don't think this is the best option in my opinion for the flathead (I don't want to start an argument :whistle: ). Flatties sit on the bottom waiting for their prey so covering lots of ground with lures gives you a better chance of finding those ambush feeders in my opinion.

I have put many hours into working out that frustrating river and it still can be hit and miss. But when it's on, it's on! Each session I continue to get better quality fish which keeps me coming back for more, so stick at it and good luck!

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Sam

There is a park there from memory then walk straight down to the water. Never been there landbased but look on google maps and it will tell you :).

Ps I'm not talking about the highway bridge further upstream. Around there is also good fishing but I'm not sure about the legalities of parking on the highway to get there. The hornibrook bridge from redcliffe to Brighton will be my first place to try

Thanks. Just out of interest, can you pump yabbies at nudgee?

You used to be able to but unfortunately that area has all been painted green... :(

Around the mouth of cabbage tree creek at shorncliffe is another option you could look at. On low tide, walking out onto the sandflats and working the edges of the creek channel with plastics can result in flatties, tailor etc.

Any of the foreshores along shorncliffe are worth a flick as well, generally quite shallow but do a bit of a scout mission on low tide and look for gutters, snags and alike that will be deeper on a high tide and hopefully hold some fish. Some of the rock groins along there are well worth a look at night as well, especially if you can get hold of some live bait.

Any of the beaches along margate / scarborough can hold some good flathead, bream and in the summertime whiting as well.

Hi mate,

Theres a car park on the brighton side of the hornybrook bridge :silly: on the left hand side going north. Which is right were you want to park to fish the flats and pine were Samsteele is talking about.I have caught heaps of flathead drifting across the flats using metal vibes.

Good spot to start.

Archived