Kedron Brook Floodway Jewie

fifis101

I took the yak out to the mouth of the Kedron Brook Floodway on Sunday morning, hitting the water at sunrise.

post-11477-144598985326_thumb.jpg

Very slow morning with lots of small hits and two lost fish (nothing special though). I finally found out what all the small hits were by landing a couple of little toadies.

post-11477-144598985341_thumb.jpg

As the tide was going out there was plenty of paddling back up stream to start a new drift. This gave me an opportunity to throw out a little deep diver for the hope of a nice flattie on the troll. Sadly though no flatties but I did get a very feisty little whiting.

post-11477-144598985347_thumb.jpg

I threw the diver straight back in for a hope of a bigger model only to get a snag in the first couple of meters. As the tide was going pretty quick, this was a bit of a battle with a 2kg and 6lb line. I finally got hold of the leader and the snag came free with weight on the end. I just thought it must be a big bit of weed but up comes a ~30cm stonefish!

post-11477-144598985355_thumb.jpg

I didn't get a photo but here’s a Google pic for example.

If anyone has seen a stonefish before, they will know that these things are ugly as hell and are built like footballs. I’d say it was at least 15cm wide! I reached for the net but before I get him in, he took another dive for the bottom and there he stayed. I think he must have buried himself in the sand as after a few more tugs at the leader he refused to budge, so I made the call to bust him off with one final tug and ping, up pops my lure with a half straightened out hook. I was pretty happy with getting my lure back and glad I didn’t leave it in the fish.

After this the fishing picked up a bit with a couple of flatties, a couple of bream and a couple of unknown lost fish.

post-11477-144598985364_thumb.jpg

I then find a good little eddy that I liked the look of and beach the yak so I can stay in the one place and have a good crack at what might be feeding in there. So I’m standing up in my beached yak when all of a sudden my reel comes to life without any indication of a bite. I lift my rod and set the hook, which only makes the fish take off faster. I quickly take a seat and with one arm try and push off with my paddle. After a few painful seconds I get myself free and start chase after the fish with a bit of a one-arm-paddle/stop-wind-in-some-line kind of action. Once I get a bit closer I put the paddle down and get stuck into the battle. As the tide was strong he is using this to his advantage and keeps his head down deep. Every time I see the leader and think I’m winning, he takes another run back to the bottom. This makes me thing I’ve got a big lizard and I get pretty pumped as I was only just saying that I have never caught one over the upper legal length before. A few more minutes go by and a couple of one-arm-paddles again to get away from some semi-submerged trees, up pops my first jewie. I quickly slide the net under him and breathe a sigh of relief.

post-11477-14459898537_thumb.jpg

At this stage I was pretty surprised and pretty pumped as the adrenaline was still pumping through my body. I attempt to get a few photos but as any yakker knows, taking photos by yourself is no easy task. As I know jewies can be pretty sensitive I give him a quick measure (came in at 60cm) and get him straight back in the water. I give him a swim with the lip grips for about a minute to make sure he’s ready to go. Once he looks like he’s ready to go, I release the lip grips. He sits there for a moment looking nice and peaceful before shooting off in one big kick of his tail splashing water all over me. I suppose I can’t blame him for that one, I would have done the same.

After this it’s about 11am and time to head home. I throw out the deep diver for the paddle back to my launch spot but nothing to report there.

I had a great morning out and it was great to get a good variety of fish and a first is always a little treat.

Thanks for reading.

Josh

Great post! Easy spot to get out to? Never thought of going out there but seems like a few fish out there..would u head back or not worth it?and wat did u get the jew on?

Really easy to launch from the boat ramp mate. Other areas can be a bit harder due to rock walls.

Yeah mate, plenty of whiting, bream and flatties.

Any place is worth heading back to, regardless on how the session went. A spot can fish very differently on different days. Different times, different tides and sometimes the fish are just more in the mood.

I got the bream, flatties and the jew on a 2.5" Zman grub in bloodworm. Good allrounder SP.

Archived