Last couple of sessions- with a PB!

Surfingant

Hi all,

I haven't been out much lately so not a lot on the fish front but I did manage to squeeze in a bass sesh a few days back. I tried a new area and up until the wind and current picked up it was paying off with 5 or 6 bass landed before it became pointless trying to fish in the conditions. Not much size but it was a good quick session nonetheless.

post-7024-144598988028_thumb.jpg

post-7024-14459898804_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598988047_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598988056_thumb.jpg

On Saturday my partner and I headed up to Noosa and stayed the night. With the townhouse being a stone's throw from some prime fishing spots it would have been a crime to not take the yak with me and try and get on the water for even a short session :whistle:

With the wind on Saturday enough strong enough to blow a dog off a chain I waited until late that night before making the call and a check of all the weather sites confirmed that I would be heading out for an early hunt :cheer: Alarm went off at 4:25 and I wearily got up and got ready, planning to be on the water about 30 minutes before daybreak. As I am currently a bit under the weather I decided on a short 1-1/12 hour session working only one area with hardbodies in the hope of a Jack, well it didn't take long and about 10 casts in as I was twitching my lure in front of oyster encrusted pylons it got slammed :woohoo: As the rod buckled over all I could think was please be red, please be red :lol: and a short but spirited fight ended with me sliding the net under my new PB 41cm Mangrove Jack B) I quickly looked around and saw a bloke throwing poppers from the bank so paddled over and asked for a few photos which he was kind enough to do, thankyou very much if you happen to read this :)

post-7024-144598988063_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598988072_thumb.jpg

So that was about it aside from getting done by another suspected jack at the same spot, throwing $20 plus hards at these things could get expensive :dry:

I went back in and was showered and ready for a beautiful baked egg brekky by 7:30, happy days.

Cheers,

Ant :)

Cheers Callum, still feel like absolute c.rap though. Don't know about the proudly associated bit either, just give a bit of a rap to gear that works :)

Justin would you be pleased to know that is the first time I've specifically gone out on the Noosa looking for jacks, and it took less than half an hour to find one? Or displeased? :lol:

Cheers Callum, still feel like absolute c.rap though. Don't know about the proudly associated bit either, just give a bit of a rap to gear that works :)

Justin would you be pleased to know that is the first time I've specifically gone out on the Noosa looking for jacks, and it took less than half an hour to find one? Or displeased? :lol:

Mmmmm, mixed emotions there! Glad to see your plan come into fruition!

Thanks Pete :) I suppose it was a bit lucky but thinking back most of the ingredients (that I know of) were there to get one- structure/cover, water movement, heaps of baitfish etc. so I wasn't that surprised really more happy that the plan paid off B)

As for the rod I have always used the Jaeger and will recommend it to any kayaker looking for a nice light 2-4kg spin stick that is capable of landing some solid fish. Ihave that matched to a 1000 size reel with 6lb braid and just change the leader to suit, today I had 12lb leader but normally never go over 8lb for bass.

Well done Ant! I love the lighter colored jacks, somehow I reckon they look tough.

What rod exactly did you get it on?

And who bakes eggs anyway? Must be a wog thing :dry:

Cheers bud, I reckon any jack looks just plain mean! Rig used is in the answer above and don't knock baked eggs until you try them, if you're in Noosa and looking for a top feed Sirocco cafe is a good starting point.

ok cool gives me abit more confidence Ive got the nordic stage sharpshooter with 2500 daiwa arid reel and 6pound line good to see I may have a chance of knocking a jack off on it.

I hvnt caught one yet so Im nervous about mucking it up haha

Yeah mate it'll do the job as long as you turn its head quickly, and if you need to get that rod in the water to clear structure.

Sharpshooter will handle jacks no worries but you might want to go to 10 or 12lb line Pete.

I've abused my sharpshooter badly and it's taken everything I've thrown at it easily.

55cm squire, 75cm Jew, 55cm kingie , 70cm toga all well within its comfort zone...... Eventually when I do kill that rod ill buy another one immediately, no question.

Sharpshooter will handle jacks no worries but you might want to go to 10 or 12lb line Pete.

I've abused my sharpshooter badly and it's taken everything I've thrown at it easily.

55cm squire, 75cm Jew, 55cm kingie , 70cm toga all well within its comfort zone...... Eventually when I do kill that rod ill buy another one immediately, no question.

cool cool Ive got a reel spooled with 10pound and stronger drag just insane that such a light flimsy seeming rod can handle a good fight just a pain Ive got 7foot model dam line wraps around the tip alot in the yak but I did buy it with intention of fishing surface lures for whiting

Just make sure your leader is not longer than your rod..... By that I mean when you cast the leader knot should be clear of your bail arm, also make sure that your leader is not too much heavier than your mainline braid..... If you've got those two things right you shouldn't get wind knots or your line wrapped round your rod tip.

Sorry to jack ants thread but after all he did eat baked eggs :sick:

Just make sure your leader is not longer than your rod..... By that I mean when you cast the leader knot should be clear of your bail arm, also make sure that your leader is not too much heavier than your mainline braid..... If you've got those two things right you shouldn't get wind knots or your line wrapped round your rod tip.

Sorry to jack ants thread but after all he did eat baked eggs :sick:

hey thanks its not a line or casting issue its just the way it sits in my yak with the extra length its just abit awkward

ok cheers Ive got the jack on a pedestal at the moment haha but I have been practicing on dragging bass from structure so am bit scared if bass hit like that whats a jack go like :unsure:

You guys are crazzzzyy. Id never imagine catching jack on anything less than 40lb. Crraazzyy. They are like trains. Well atleast on live bait.

post-13472-144598988276_thumb.jpg

3 jack 15 mins 57,59,64cm caboolture river.

Archived