Unlucky Day at Shultz 26/9

Cowfish13

Well, it started off looking like it would be an awesome day, but the tides were all wrong:( . Jack (mack_attack) managed a 22cm Bream on his third cast. But he was using his Cod gear with 16lb fluro leader, 15lb braid and an Ecogear SX60:blink: . After that, I dropped my first (but definatly no last) Bream and then Jack put a cast over a car body to seek revenge on a Cod that had stolen lures from him. He hooked on and straight away he new it was a good fish. Unfortunatly the Cod took him inside the car body and by the time Jack had waded out, reached in a metre and pulled his lure out, it was gone.:angry:

Then I hooked 1 or 2 good Bream (around 25-30cm) but dropped them both:angry:. Eventually I managed a 19cm specimen. Then the tide dropped very low and we had nothing for 3 hrs or so:( .

We found a spot with a half decent drop off to deepish water. I hooked on to a fish, dropped it:ohmy:, then a bit later I caught my first Cattie on a lure:huh: and he was 31cm. I said to Jack \"You've never caught one on a lure\", He said \"and I hope I never will\". Next cast he was on to a 45cm Cattie:P that fought surprisingly well.

During the low tide, the only things willing to take a lure were the big Banded Toadies. While we were searching for a good spot, I saw a crab pot in 10cm of water or so and a fish was thrashing around. So, I know your not supposed to do it, but I took the fish out and posed it for a photo (just for fun) and then released it. I never moved the pot or did anything else to it. I just wanted to save the fish. I think it was a Sickle Fish:S ? Not sure tho.

About 10mins before we left, I caugh the best fish of the day with a 42cm Flattie. Then the mozzies drove us out.

Wasn't the best or luckiest days fishing with both of us dropping and missing hits from 30 fish or so. But was still better than sitting at home.

Pics to follow.

The Snake is in the middle of the picture. The black line.

Was probably one of our worst trips to Shultz' in a long time Vicky.

Funny thing happened as well. I was standing on the edge of the embankment and then it collapsed taking me with it. I bent the handle of my reel as well:(. And a group of people saw me fall in, then saw my struggle to get up, but they did nothing:angry:

Also all fish released

Oh my god!! You know, it's funny you mention that... because I've noticed a lot of caved in bank from probably that exact same thing.

How on earth did you bend the handle of your reel!?!?!?!?! hehehe.. sorry I shouldn't laugh, but that must've been some tumble.

At least you're alright and didn't get eaten by a toadie!! *eeeeek*

I'm no snake expert, but are you sure it was a red bellied black? Eastern small eye snakes look pretty similar to small red bellies - except they have real small eyes. I've seen a few snakes around Schulz before, but not a red belly.

I think you people are crazy swimming in schulz. that place is crawling with sharks in summer.

Vicky: depending on the tide and where abouts Cowfish was, the collapse of the bank could result in a 2m fall.

I fell about 1.5 metres :(. 100% certain it was a red belly. It was on the path way and some people had to scare it off with sticks before they would pass it. I only thought about taking a pic when it was a long way away. It was jet black with a red belly. I have always liked reptiles as much as I like fish.

I remember Jordan putting up a pic of a snake that he was sure was a Red Belly a while ago that he saw while he was at Shultz.

And I don't usually choose to swim at Shultz. Last time I swam it was winter. But that said, it was dusk in deep murky water:S. I never thought about the sharks when I went in. I just wanted my lure back:D

Do$tylz wrote:

Sweet as report...

I gotta hit up Shultz again soon. Seems as though its the closest place that is consistantly hooking up fish on hard bodies....

If your using lures, try to pick a day that you can fish the 3 hrs before and after the high tide. Time of day doesn't really matter, there is alot of shade that the fish can hide under during midday, but when there is no water (low tide), the snags are exposed and the fish disappear. The Flathead will sometimes be around during lowish tide, but even they don't bite when it is dead low tide.

Thanks for the ID Schultzy and thanks for the Karma Jimmybob, was only doing what I hope everyone else would do.

Gazza wrote:

Red bellied blacks are ok they eat other snakes like Tigers and brown snakes and are very timid of us human types unlike tigers GRRRRR:angry:

Gaz

ps I'm with Brian I'd have pmsl and tacken a photo

I read that South East Queensland and Northern NSW are getting heaps more brown snakes and more reports of bitings. Apparently it is because the red bellied blacks are being killed by eating toads and therefore are eating less browns. So the browns are flourishing because the red bellies used to keep their numbers down.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Do$tylz wrote:
Sweet as report...

I gotta hit up Shultz again soon. Seems as though its the closest place that is consistantly hooking up fish on hard bodies....

If your using lures, try to pick a day that you can fish the 3 hrs before and after the high tide. Time of day doesn't really matter, there is alot of shade that the fish can hide under during midday, but when there is no water (low tide), the snags are exposed and the fish disappear. The Flathead will sometimes be around during lowish tide, but even they don't bite when it is dead low tide.

Thanks for the ID Schultzy and thanks for the Karma Jimmybob, was only doing what I hope everyone else would do.

Cheers for the tips Cowfish. Karma :D

Now to find time to utilize the info ......

dom... wrote:

good stuff will sounds like a memorable day haha... is that the first time jack has been specifically targeting cod?? or have you guys been doing that for awhile.. dom

That was the first time. He lost his favorite SX40 to a big Cod last trip while using his 6lb and he lost his previous favorite to a suspected big Cod the trip before that:laugh: . So he lost 2 in 2 trips, he didn't have any more to lose, so he tryed using heavier gear to get those Cod. I still had my light stuff. I havn't lost any lures yet:silly:

Archived