Spinning Schoolies 23/09/13

sehrguht

Had an early mark today and got home around 1230 to see Callum had a spot up. Gave him a call and he hadn't left yet so i was in luck. Drove out to cleveland quickly and by 3pm we were on the mark for schoolies.

A few casts in Callum is on a nice 60ish schoolie and success its in the net. After a bit more spinning I got a solid hit but no hookup. Changed spots to sit on the bait a bit better and It was on I dropped one and missed another solid hit. A little quiet and Callum gets another in the net after a nice fight.

Feeling the pressure now I sped up the retrieves and kept plugging casts out. After 50 or so casts I feel the line take off as soon as the bail was closed, thinking sweet i finally hooked a mackeral. A couple solid runs this fish must be pretty good. It kept thumping away and after a few minutes fight a nice 71cm SNAPPER shows up and is promptly netted. A first for me on a slug.

post-5575-144598991681_thumb.jpg

After that i kept more attention on the line just to make sure i wasnt getting more hits on the drop.

Getting towards dark i finally pick up a schoolie around 65 and was thinking that might be it but a few more casts and the sun is almost on the horizon and bang i hookup to a nice screamer. A few tense moments and a couple good runs of 40m or so and up pops an 80cm schoolie. Pretty chuffed with that we call it a day just in time to make it back to the ramp by last light.

Thanks Callum for taking me out there was a great afternoon.

post-5575-144598991692_thumb.jpg

post-5575-144598991711_thumb.jpg

post-5575-144598991702_thumb.jpg

Hahahahaha how many times I been there or how much have I been at home ??

nah that was a hot little sesh, need more chain for my anchor as I was struggling to hold which mate it frustrating

Black n white sounders did the job and so did the metail glove to land the fish, ill get a gaf before I hook a spanish.

Thanks for coming Jeremy and was generous of you to swap the snap. Keeps me in the step dad's good books for a couple more weeks.

Should be a few more sessions comming this week, need to chdck their still there ;) . Unemployment isnt so bad after all.

Good work fellas, the snap would have been a welcome surprise. Those bigger schoolies always put up a good account of themselves and provide some nice big tasty fillets as well, one of my favourite fish to catch and so easy to fillet and bone. Slap em in some beer batter and hot oil, bit of ya favourite sauce = heaven.......

We got into a few on Sunday, I was gonna head out again Monday but I was to lazy to get out of bed, next break in the wind and I'll be straight out, can't wait....

Cheers,

Al

Archived