threaddies: what time of year?

creature100

so far i've caught 3 of them and each one has been caught using a 2inch gulp shrimp in natural and root beer (ordered from us) also i know for a fact that the atomic prong works good...

the first one i got was right on top of teh surface as they were feeding, 2nd one about half way down and the last one was right near the bottom

im gonna be going for a threaddy session this monday night (01/10/07) in the city/breaky creek new farm area - pm if interested or 0430048800 anyones welcome

Like they said, live or fresh prawns, bigass ones if u can! Threaddies absolutely love them. Pat rigs will do the job, keep the hook line about 1 feet above sinker to deter the catties and crabs.

As for hooks, I prefer minimum #1/0 long shank baitholder (Mustad). Go higher for according to prawn sizes. I find these hooks really great at preventing them from flying off while casting!

Good luck dude! Hope u join the 1metre club soon!

creature100 wrote:

have been reading some posts from people getting onto these guys in the river and am keen to go out and target them myself. what time of year is best for going after them in the brissie river? and from peoples experience are fresh baits a must or will frozen pillies do the job?

cheers

well, before i came to bris, everyone told me it'd be difficult to get threadies in the winter. hmm, but viperon, anggolee and I managed to get em all throughout winter on bait and even in castnets - specimens up to 1metre too :D. hehe. so i reckon they're around 365 days a year mate. but IMHO tide is quite important, unless you know where there're some holes in the river ,coz there is one spot where we normally fish where they all hole up during low tide and if you manage to get your bait to drift into that hole you'll strike gold :D. hehe.

er, from my experience, prawns are best, live or dead doesnt really make a difference. Pillies would do the job as well, the biggest threadie that i managed to hit was on a piece of pillie.

all the best with ya threadies mate. i fished for em on ultra light gear - 6lb :D. smashing stuff !!

Archived